Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs opening early for Munster match,would late opening not make more sense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They will still be open late anyway as Sunday is a bank holiday. They can serve upto 00:30 on the Sunday night of a bank holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Even though I supply pubs I even think its too early to open. Fine some can sell breakfasts for those looking for seats but im sceptical many people will go to pubs to watch the match so early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Oh yeah i know from working in a bar before bank holidays is half 12 but shur wouldnt half 1 be better for the city over all,half 10 is silly imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The match is at 1.45 right? :P

Why so early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

The match is at 1.45 right? :P

Why so early?

I thought the match was 2:30? Huh maybe not :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Match is 1:45 cos we drew the short straw, i'd give my left nut for the leinster time of 6 on saturday.

Dont think it matters much awful lot of people dont go to the pubs when they're open at normal times, expect tesco and dunnes to be busy if there's any sort of good weather I imagine BBQs before the game with beer during and after.

Realistically if you go to the pub at 12 and stay till ten you'll drink 12 or 15 pints meaning almost 75 quid before food or a cab, people dont have that money and we're not capable of leaving after 3 or 4 especially if we win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There will probably be more in the pubs than at Mass

think-of-the-children.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

One a side note, in terms of generating money for Limerick, I think we drew the worst possible kick off time and opposition.

I think they are just trying to catch the breakfast and lunch trade before the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Flincher wrote: »
    One a side note, in terms of generating money for Limerick, I think we drew the worst possible kick off time and opposition.

Its the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

No, Good Friday would have been worse and as we asked to avoid it I think the ERC duly replied with an early KO of Sunday.

Still prefer to be playing a home q/final than having to travel or not playing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

How do you figure that one?
    Nearly all the hotels are booked around the town, and the only other team that would bring 5k+ visiting supporters to Limerick would be Leinster....the timing might be off, but I don't think the opposition could be worse.

gflann wrote: »
    How do you figure that one?
    Nearly all the hotels are booked around the town, and the only other team that would bring 5k+ visiting supporters to Limerick would be Leinster....the timing might be off, but I don't think the opposition could be worse.

I don't think the 5k are going to spend a huge amount. The kick off time means a lot will travel up and down on the day of the game (its only 3.5 hours on the motorway), and as hotels aren't booked out with 5k coming down, it looks like a lot are taking this approach.

2k Northampton fans would easily spend more, in terms of accom, breakfasts, food, and given the day that is in it, probably drink.

That said, its better than no quarter final, so I suppose we should be happy for any extra few quid the towns and businesses get.

phog wrote: »
    No, Good Friday would have been worse and as we asked to avoid it I think the ERC duly replied with an early KO of Sunday.

Still prefer to be playing a home q/final than having to travel or not playing at all.

There aren't any quarters on Friday this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

I don't think the 5k are going to spend a huge amount. The kick off time means a lot will travel up and down on the day of the game (its only 3.5 hours on the motorway), and as hotels aren't booked out with 5k coming down, it looks like a lot are taking this approach.

2k Northampton fans would easily spend more, in terms of accom, breakfasts, food, and given the day that is in it, probably drink.

That said, its better than no quarter final, so I suppose we should be happy for any extra few quid the towns and businesses get.

But Munster knocked Northampton out in the group stages?
    The teams to qualify were: Saracens, Cardiff, Clermont, Toulouse, Leinster, Ulster, Edinburgh and Munster.
    Out of that list Leinster and Ulster were the only teams that would bring any sort of travelling support. For the rest you are looking at Cardiff, Edin and Sarries would bring less than 1k, and the French lads would have been around 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Pubs have to open early because unless your half pissed you'd never watch a rugby match

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Pubs have to open early because unless your half pissed you'd never watch a rugby match

Wut? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Maybe it's a response to the fact that crowds have been so noticeably mute in past "early" kick-offs. And if Munster go behind on the scoreboard the place can be like a morgue.....especially, and bizarrely perhaps, since the re-development of Thomond Park :eek:

They'll need a bit of liqour in them either way if the fare is anything like last Saturday nights offering....and I could say the same for those watching the game ;):D

Might have something to do with the fact pubs/clubs are all closed on Good Friday too, they are trying to play catch up.

gflann wrote: »
    But Munster knocked Northampton out in the group stages?
    The teams to qualify were: Saracens, Cardiff, Clermont, Toulouse, Leinster, Ulster, Edinburgh and Munster.
    Out of that list Leinster and Ulster were the only teams that would bring any sort of travelling support. For the rest you are looking at Cardiff, Edin and Sarries would bring less than 1k, and the French lads would have been around 500.

I just picked a random club.

I'm not trying to make a strong point here, just pointing out that the kickoff time and opposition make it possible for travelling supporters to come and go in the one day, which doesn't work out as well for the hotels, whereas when Northampton and Ospreys came a couple of years ago for their quarters, pretty much all their supporters would have stayed the night in Limerick, and spent a lot more money per head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I don't think there is any need for the pubs to open early. There is plenty of time to go drinking just before, during and after the match. What this will set up for is for some people to start extra early in the morning and be falling around town by half 5 or 6 in the evening, especially if the result goes our way. Its a long day of drinking and a lot of people don't need anymore of an excuse to start early. Christ all we seem to hear about is the Irish peoples problems with over drinking etc… but then the pubs get sanctioned to open early because of a match.

Advertisement