Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Blows Wrestling Parties: WrestleMania at Buskers On The Ball!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

leggo wrote: »
    Hi guys, Rick here.

I wanted to get something out to you ASAP regarding last night. Obviously there are a lot of rumours swirling regarding legal matters, which I can't really discuss as this isn't the place for them. I have spoken with Woolshed and, while we have a certain idea, we still aren't 100% sure on why an Armed Response Unit raided and shut down the last 8 minutes of the Royal Rumble Party last night. As you know, we work with Woolshed on executing these parties and there are areas we control (such as the entertainment, promotion and execution of the events) and areas that Woolshed control (e.g. table bookings, security, licensing, screening the event etc). We have enjoyed this working relationship immensely and find Woolshed to be a great partner for our events, far above the standard I personally have been used to in running similar events in Ireland. We have always been assured that Woolshed have a great relationship with the local Gardai and that this has never been an issue before, which is the information we act on when hosting and promoting these nights. So while we can't comment fully, I think anyone who was there can see that the weight of the response was due to the Gardai anticipating something that clearly wasn't the case. I would ask that people refrain from playing the blame game and speculating on who said or did what, for their own sake, as nobody has the full facts here and it's obviously risky naming people publicly without any proof. It's also something we wouldn't look to do anyway.

We fully intend to continue doing what we do and delivering great nights for wrestling fans in Ireland.

Firstly I'd like to apologise for not being able to give an immediate response to people. We were as surprised as all of you that it happened and my immediate reaction was "People have drink on them and are angry. I want to help calm the situation so nobody, in anger, makes any mistakes that gets them in trouble with the Gardai." Fortunately, in spite of people's understandable frustration, everyone was cooperative and the vast majority were extremely supportive.

Although this was a situation entirely out of our control, we feel deeply upset that people's night was interrupted in such a fashion. We intend to make this right in some fashion at a later date. I will be keeping a copy of the guestlist from last night so we have a record of who was there and who we need to make amends with, it's just a case of figuring out how best to do so. We feel most disappointed in that it was a great night up to that point and that we more than delivered €8.50 worth of entertainment prior to the ending.

At the same time people's disappointment is totally understandable so we'd ask that people let them have their say and vent and respect the fact that they are disappointed. Just know that we share your disappointment and frustration in this, perhaps even moreso. This project is something that is very important to all of us, all of my team work our arses off to deliver a great night for wrestling fans and when something like this comes at you out of nowhere with possible malicious intent, trust us that it hurts us all deeply.

Finally I'd like to thank the overwhelming majority who have come out and supported us in a time of need. You have no idea how much that means to us, for people to be so passionate in defending and supporting our little project. While trying to gather my thoughts and process what was going on last night, I literally had a wall of people, who didn't need to, surrounding me with support last night. Stuff like this can happen when you run events, you take the good and the bad as it comes at you, but with your support the party will continue.

Was this a work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Leggo I see the woolshed will be shutting down their superbowl event tonight at 1am as by law they have to stop serving alcohol and close then. Wondering what this means for the wrestling parties?

Bad omen for Woolshed (I really feel for them, they've been good to us and wrestling fans and don't deserve the stick they're getting), we've spent the week looking into contingency plans before this came up so it doesn't really change anything our end. We're still planning a Mania party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

leggo wrote: »
    Bad omen for Woolshed (I really feel for them, they've been good to us and wrestling fans and don't deserve the stick they're getting), we've spent the week looking into contingency plans before this came up so it doesn't really change anything our end. We're still planning a Mania party.

You looked at alternative venues? its a shame alright because its such a class venue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've been in the Woolshed, just not for one of the wrestling events, and it is a really nice place.

ciano316 wrote: »
    You looked at alternative venues? its a shame alright because its such a class venue.

Obviously I can't give away too much but we've had several get in touch already and are interested in speaking with a few more before deciding. I'm starting by visiting one such place tonight and hope to have a few more meetings during the week so we can get something locked down ASAP. We're using this as an opportunity to look at everything we do and seeing if there's a way of doing things even better than we were with Woolshed (which I think was a pretty good and successful formula to begin with).

We're not in a bad place: we have a lot of people who want it to keep going and would love the same with added improvements, we have people interested in working with us and we have a formula that can pop up and work in a number of environments. It's like, when OTT had that announcement with the Tivoli a few months ago, I said about them that this could be an opportunity for them to make things even bigger and better than it was before, and look at what they just announced last night. Same deal here, I'm not worried. Irish wrestling fans are great and supportive with their own homemade stuff and, with that, I've long learned that anything is possible.

As far as Woolshed go, they've been great to us and, if their petition (which I encourage everyone to support) succeeds we'd happily work with them again. No problems or animosity there whatsoever, they're a great business with good people behind it who don't deserve this to happen to them. All they've tried to do is bend some rules to give people the chance to do stuff they haven't been able to before.

To those who were at the Rumble party, check your emails. ;)

16508223_1218153444935615_686995261546638718_n.jpg?oh=7d8973ce19856a31e4c08b9e4d16a806&oe=5912717D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

Good stuff, I was one of the people fairly livid on the night, the mix of total confusion and a hefty feed of pints is a bad cocktail but none of it was your fault. You put on a great night and you've shown here just how dedicated you are to bringing Ireland's wrestling fan community together so fair play all round!

Feel so gutted for the woolshed though, late night events are their bread and butter and now that's been pulled away from them by power tripping twats who can't admit they maybe made a bollox of things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's a bit of a sickener but if they're being made stop at 1am then it could be a licence issue.

That new look Buskers games bar should be a perfect fit though. Think I may recruit a few old heads to pull out the Simply Ravishing t-shirts for Mania.

• Advertisement

why is buskers on the ball allowed stay open later than Woolshed?

Gardai have told Woolshed they're not allowed host late events anymore (for now at least).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

jaykhunter wrote: »
    GOLF
    ALFA
    ROMEO
    DELTA
    ALFA
    INDIA!

*DUN DUN! DUN DUN! DUN DUN! DUN-DUN!*

Seriously though sorry to hear it mate. You put so much into these fantastic nights out. Hope whatever happened gets ironed out and full steam ahead for WM! :)

how bad is it that it took me a while to get that

Listened to the Podcast there, feedback i'd give from the people i go with is that the reserved tables in Woolshed was a massive draw for us being able to go in 10pm or so and have a seat for a long night.

Again you have the Woolshed in mind when you're thinking of the nights and it's a different type of venue, seating isn't in shortage by any means but it's not a bunch of tables like a bar/restaurant. If you go in at any stage (it's downstairs of the main Buskers bar - the former Alchemy) you'll see what I mean.

We're running a free night for people who went to the Rumble party at Fastlane then we're using that as a basis for how we go forward operationally with Mania and so on in terms of bookings etc. So that night we'll be going around getting feedback off everyone for what they want more/less of and so on then applying it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Notamuppet

That's rubbish.
    Was in Woolshed on Wednesday and it was late. Their notice on Super Bowl night was that no where is legal on a Sunday after 1.
    Has the problem not just moved from one place to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭bren2001

Notamuppet wrote: »
    That's rubbish.
    Was in Woolshed on Wednesday and it was late. Their notice on Super Bowl night was that no where is legal on a Sunday after 1.
    Has the problem not just moved from one place to another?

Its pretty clear its illegal to operate after 1 am but the Gardai facilitate it for events. The Woolshed have been told they will be no longer facilitated. Thus, they now close at 1 am on Sundays.

Ye don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure all that out.

Exactly. Gardai give exemptions to certain places for certain events based on past performances, knowing the people running them, having a good reputation etc. For example, you don't often see Coppers get closed down. Woolshed were one of the leaders in this field and have done so for years and it's not fair that one bad egg messed it up for them.

Trust me when I say the first question I asked of the new venue was how they could guarantee this (which was also more just a case of a mandatory explanation since I'd lived the experience and watched the Superbowl in full there the night before, hassle-free. I wasn't just going to take them at their word).

Happy to answer any enquiries here anyone has btw. Anyone who knows me the few years I've been doing this knows I make time for this, especially on boards. Obviously there are certain areas I can't/won't go but I'll be as full and frank as possible.

I agree, it's obviously illegal after 1am and I have no problem with that, but I do think people should at least know there is a risk of it being closed down like Rumble.

There's only one sort of extension and the courts give them. the guards just enforce it (like with the Woolshed who has obviously pissed them off) or ignore it (like Coppers because of who owns it). There's none of this "good performance" rubbish! The law's the law!!!

Buskers can't guarantee something that they have no control over and just cause they showed the Super Bowl doesn't mean they're untouchable like Coppers.

It's unfair but that's the truth and I'd hate to think any certain idiot could close an event down by one phone call like Rumble.

I hear what you're saying, but were you at the Rumble? If you were you'd have seen the Gardai that interrupted weren't regular uniformed officers, they were the emergency response unit.

We have investigated the incident with both Woolshed and the Gardai and the story checks out in full.

What happened, essentially, is that someone put in a call to 999. Now normally that would be dispatched to the local station in Store St, who would have a lawful duty to investigate a complaint, but would also be aware of what was going on so would call Woolshed up, Woolshed would cooperate fully, ensure that what was said wasn't the case and this would all happen unbeknownst to anyone in the venue as the event carries on. This is how Woolshed have run late events for 14 years, it wasn't through sheer luck of nobody calling the Gardai, they wouldn't have taken that risk and nor would we.

In this case, sheer bad luck dictated that the ERU were in the area and were dispatched. They weren't aware of any special arrangement and asked for proof. Now the procedure for these nights is that the venue contacts the local licencing inspector, tells them the story, they're told that if what they say is true they won't be disturbed, the inspector then gets them a special exemption licence which runs until 1am. However there is no proof that the exemption beyond took place (hence Woolshed getting it in the neck now) and the ERU are in a spot where they have to administer the law to the letter, so they evacuated.

So, no, it's not sheer luck that runs these events. They run technically outside of the law but also with the knowledge and cooperation of law enforcement, and this instance is a freak occurrence. While there is a remote possibility that this ultra specific set of events could occur again, there's also the same possibility that a power outage could occur, so it's negligible.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks - was just worried that's all.

Happy to explain. If there's anything else let me know.

what are the chances of getting the representatives of the ERU, Woolshed, Cathal Jackson & William Humperdink onto an episode of lowblows to discuss all this?

showpony1 wrote: »
    what are the chances of getting the representatives of the ERU, Woolshed, Cathal Jackson & William Humperdink onto an episode of lowblows to discuss all this?

I'd say it'd be met with nearly as much tumbleweed as that gag... ;)

Tickets for our WrestleMania 33 party in Buskers On The Ball (featuring the first-ever gig of the Low Blows Band) are now on-sale. We'll have more info online over the next few weeks!

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/wwe-wrestlemania-33-buskers-on-the-ball-tickets-32027536223

This Sunday we host a completely FREE night for WWE Fastlane in our new venue, Buskers On The Ball. Previously it was free just for Royal Rumble ticketholders, however since this is a bigger venue and fits more than Woolshed, we're now extending the offer to selected groups of people that listen to our show, follow us on social media and now (since this place was integral in getting all of this started) boards.ie PW forum! Even if you can't do the late sesh, you can pop down for a couple hours and see the place ahead of Mania.

We'll also be looking for feedback from it as we set about evolving and building a completely new style of party, so your voice will be integral in setting what Irish wrestling fans get in the future!

All you have to do is click here to claim your free tickets: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/wwe-fastlane-buskers-on-the-ball-tickets-31833620215.

If you like you can also check out a guided tour by yours truly of the new venue available via our Snapchat at HashtagLowBlows.

Info for anyone who's coming later:

• You can still pick up free tickets at the link below.
    • Venue is on Fleet St in Templebar, right beside Hard Rock Cafe. We'll be downstairs.
    • Seating is first-come, first-served, but if you've been there or seen my tour on Snapchat you'll have seen there's loads of seating.
    • Party starts at 9pm with WM10 on all-screens (Bret/Owen is first match if you wanna see that) and myself on decks.
    • We'll have a free raffle for all with tees and booze as prizes.
    • Drink offers: €5.50 all pints & long neck bottles, €15 jug of Becks, €22 for 5 Desperados. Snack menu til 2am.
    • Again, if you're in work, college etc tomorrow, you're more than welcome to still come down for a drink or two and see the venue ahead of Mania, it's free after all!
    • Aside from that just enjoy Fastlane and our new home, I think you'll all be very impressed (and this is just the smaller night before Mania)!

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/wwe-fastlane-buskers-on-the-ball-tickets-31833620215

17039319_932163326921246_109325674879403767_o.jpg?oh=7062592e6b9fb4bcc858185974deed8d&oe=596FC69B

Credit to Jade Costello as always for the poster. Theme is 'Bohemian Rhapsody', obviously, to celebrate the debut gig of the Low Blows Band at this!

Tickets available here: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/wwe-wrestlemania-33-buskers-on-the-ball-tickets-32027536223
    Get updates on the event (and we'll have a lot) as soon as they're released by joining our FB event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/134848200372030/
    #LowBlowsMania6

Tickets available on Eventbrite.ie! We will have more tickets than ever on-sale but nonetheless WrestleMania Party tickets have never not sold out so buy early!

THE BIGGEST WRESTLEMANIA PARTY EVER...
    ...watch WrestleMania 33 live and in-full in our NEW venue at Buskers On The Ball (Fleet St, beside Hard Rock Cafe) on the big screen, Ireland's largest video wall or one of 30 HD screens in the venue! There will be a late bar, snack menu til 2am and you can play pool, air hockey, ping-pong and more in this incredible new venue!

THE LOW BLOWS BAND MAKES ITS DEBUT...
    ...as part of our pre-show entertainment! A full band will play a selection of wrestling theme songs in a full, not-to-be-missed gig included in the night!

BECOME IMMORTAL IN OUR HALL OF FAME...
    ...as per tradition, we will be inducting some of our standout regulars from the year's worth of parties and Low Blows podcasts. Also one of YOU could be inducted as we hold a series of challenges on-stage for one new Hall of Fame member!

NXT ORLANDO AIRS BEFOREHAND...
    ...in addition to all of this, before the show we will also air NXT Orlando in full AS WELL as the WWE WrestleMania kickoff show! We have every wrestling fan's needs catered for on the biggest night of the year!

CARD

Universal Champion, GOLDBERG vs. BROCK LESNAR

WWE Champion, BRAY WYATT vs. RANDY ORTON (Rumoured)

TRIPLE H vs. SETH ROLLINS (Rumoured)

THE UNDERTAKER vs. ROMAN REIGNS (Rumoured)

US Champion, CHRIS JERICHO vs. KEVIN OWENS (Rumoured)

AJ STYLES vs. SHANE MCMAHON (Rumoured)

JOHN CENA & NIKKI BELLA vs. MIZ & MARYSE (Rumoured)

DEAN AMBROSE vs. BARON CORBIN (Rumoured)

plus more TBA!

Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Buskers On The Ball cannot provide bookings for a crowd this big as the priority is ensuring there is seating for as many people as possible, and as such more people than ever will be catered for this year!

Terms & Conditions
    1. Tickets delivered by email. Please print off your ticket on the night and bring to Buskers On The Ball, as it contains a unique barcode that needs to be scanned for entry. You can also use the Eventbrite app to get scanned in.
    2. Over 18’s only. ID essential. R.O.A.R.
    3. Event will be filmed for future usage by Low Blows Wrestling Parties. By attending you are consenting to your likeness being used for any and all purposes in the future promotion of all events involving Low Blows Wrestling Parties.
    4. Tickets, once purchased, are non-refundable due to budgeting requirements. Your consumer rights are not affected.
    5. Please ensure you buy tickets beforehand to ensure entry. Though limited tickets may be sold on the door if not sold out, there is limited capacity. We will post beforehand whether tickets will be available on the door or not.
    6. Admission into Buskers On The Ball cannot be guaranteed once PPV starts so please arrive in advance.
    7. Smart casual dress code applies.

16938688_932212670249645_5631638675720520847_n.jpg?oh=1ab669bed2ba4c428f652992cdac7fde&oe=592CBC3F

The biggest WrestleMania week Ireland has ever seen just got bigger. On Wednesday 29th March, we'll return to Ned's Bar in Woolshed for one final night there as we present Low Blows Live 7 (including a WrestleMania Table Quiz) starring special guest, Over The Top Wrestling star JUSTIN SHAPE. The best news of all? It's completely FREE with a WrestleMania ticket!

You can join the Facebook event here to get the full scoop and updates as they're announced: https://www.facebook.com/events/616862635176030/

• Advertisement

To those enquiring about seating: as everyone who attended Fastlane on Sunday will have seen, Buskers On The Ball operates differently from previous venues in terms of seating. As opposed to before, where it was all largely reserved beforehand and everyone else stood, we are now looking at having seating for most (if not all) in attendance. So there is no need to book ahead. If you arrive early, you should have no problem getting a good spot!

Advertisement