Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to sea angling(cork)

Options
  • 03-04-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hey lads,
    I'm new to sea angling in cork, used to do a bit of trout and pike fishing about 15 yrs ago, but am pretty much a fishing born again...
    anyway,on recent outings in sandycove near kinsale and along the silly walkway by kinsale town, i've either blanked or just caught very small pollack.
    I was hoping to get a few dogfish as i hear their supposed to be easy to catch.I've tried mack and squid and ragworm on a single hook (4/0) leger set up with a 3oz lead,but nothing,the few small pollack i got were on floated ragworm on a light spinning rod,similar set up you'd use for rainbows in a stocked lake.
    I'm just wondering is it a bit early in the year for dogfish or where am i going wrong?!
    is it worth a go spinning for pollack at this time of yr?
    any advice would be helpfull:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Doggies tend to go where other fish do for eating dead fish and remains so they'd be in deeper water till weather warms up
    You should give courtmacsherry a shot every year there's records broken out there
    Main thing is don't give up your time will come on the big uns

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't know that area, but if you look at www.sea-angling-ireland.org there is loads of info on fishing marks and species for all areas there. Loads of info for beginners on the forums too, and always plenty of lads with good advice if you ask specific questions.
    A 4/0 hook is a bit big, I use size 1 or 1/0 hooks for ray and doggies and as long as they are not fine wire hooks they are just fine.
    Doggies prefer fish baits, so mack and sandeel are your best bet - half a sandeel secured with bait elastic is a good bait for dogs.
    Its a wee bit early in most places to get pollack on spinning gear alright, next month would be time enough in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

Zzippy wrote: »
    I don't know that area, but if you look at www.sea-angling-ireland.org there is loads of info on fishing marks and species for all areas there. Loads of info for beginners on the forums too, and always plenty of lads with good advice if you ask specific questions.
    A 4/0 hook is a bit big, I use size 1 or 1/0 hooks for ray and doggies and as long as they are not fine wire hooks they are just fine.
    Doggies prefer fish baits, so mack and sandeel are your best bet - half a sandeel secured with bait elastic is a good bait for dogs.
    Its a wee bit early in most places to get pollack on spinning gear alright, next month would be time enough in my experience.

Doggies tend to go where other fish do for eating dead fish and remains so they'd be in deeper water till weather warms up
    You should give courtmacsherry a shot every year there's records broken out there
    Main thing is don't give up your time will come on the big uns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

squidly wrote: »
    hey lads,
    I'm new to sea angling in cork, used to do a bit of trout and pike fishing about 15 yrs ago, but am pretty much a fishing born again...
    anyway,on recent outings in sandycove near kinsale and along the silly walkway by kinsale town, i've either blanked or just caught very small pollack.
    I was hoping to get a few dogfish as i hear their supposed to be easy to catch.I've tried mack and squid and ragworm on a single hook (4/0) leger set up with a 3oz lead,but nothing,the few small pollack i got were on floated ragworm on a light spinning rod,similar set up you'd use for rainbows in a stocked lake.
    I'm just wondering is it a bit early in the year for dogfish or where am i going wrong?!
    is it worth a go spinning for pollack at this time of yr?
    any advice would be helpfull:)

Ballycotton is also good for the dogfish, especially when the mackerel come in. you'd often catch them when it starts to get dark, and should be plenty of scraps of mackerel left (after the crowds have finished mackerel bashing) for them to be feeding on.

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    Ballycotton is also good for the dogfish, especially when the mackerel come in. you'd often catch them when it starts to get dark, and should be plenty of scraps of mackerel left (after the crowds have finished mackerel bashing) for them to be feeding on.

cheers:)

caught my first two dogfish in kinsale last night,both times i thought i was snagged on weed as they came in like a sack of spuds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Iv had 18 of them over the last 3 days in kinsale ,there seems to be a wave of them around since the gales.

Advertisement