Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove/Disable motion sensor from light

Options
  • 03-04-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody help with this query. I have an external light (think called bulkhead) with standard 75w bulb installed, with a normal on/off switch inside the house. I want to increase the amount of light and I was given a motion sensor light for free. Two questions.

(1) Can I just replace existing light with new sensor light as both use normal wiring brown/blue/green, even though its connected to a switch.

(2) Is it possible to override the motion sensor so that light is a normal on/off switched light. I don't really need the motion sensor and would prefer to turn the light on/off when needed rather than when sensor detects motion in area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 irishman1

(1) Can I just replace existing light with new sensor light as both use normal wiring brown/blue/green, even though its connected to a switch.

(2) Is it possible to override the motion sensor so that light is a normal on/off switched light. I don't really need the motion sensor and would prefer to turn the light on/off when needed rather than when sensor detects motion in area.

Thanks in advance for any advice. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

yes you can
    when you open the sensor light,you will see 4 connectors
    live in
    neutral in
    earth
    and spare

just connect the neutral and earth wire to the associated connection
    and connect the live wire to the spare connection

remember to turn the power off when doing this work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you prob can if the pir is wired into terminal block

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

(1)yes
    (2)yes

Usually a sensor light will come with 4 connections:Earth,Brown,Blue+white,White

Just connect your existing wires
    Earth=Earth
    Blue=Blue+white
    Brown=White
    nothing will go into the brown of the new light as this is only used to power the sensor

Meercat beat me to it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paddymick wrote: »

Meercat beat me to it:)

and im a one fingered typist:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

meercat wrote: »

Thats nearly one more than me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »

Im a one legged electrician:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi All,

Thanks for quick reply, will have a look at what connections are in sensor.

Advertisement