Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec Tips

• 03-04-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Sup bitchessss. :P

So, there seems to be a few threads going around about tips in other subject areas, and I thought I/we could do with one for Home Ec. :)

Everyone who does Home Ec knows that the course is pretty vast, the short questions are the divil and long questions can sometimes be a bitch. :O

I'm aiming for an A1/A2, and I got a D2 in the mocks (Didn't study so I winged it, plus ran out of time)

So does anyone have any tips/predictions they'd like to share?

First off, I'd like to say I'm pretty sure either carbohydrates or fats/eggs will come up as the compulsory Q1.
    Any additions?

Spanks ya'll. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Is that a gut feeling or what? ;)
    are you going with eggs because of the journal assignment :p

well... I was thinking microbiology will come up as a another of the long questions! Its all unpredictable really :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I don't think eggs/ protein will come up because of the journal...
    I hate the fact that we have such a short time in the actual exam. I found in the mock that I had no time to think about my answers, if it didn't come to me immediately I'd still have to keep on writing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

All I know is, I'll be learning off vitamins and minerals, because they're always worth a good few marks! and chances are they'll be in short questions as well ;)
    timing might be an issue for me... i didn't have a problem in the mocks because i didn't study and hence didn't know much to write in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Oh I forgot eggs were in assignments!

Still could be carbs, and water hasn't ever come up. The family comes up almost every years so it's almost guaranteed. Any ideas on the elective?

I'm terrible for timing too, I never got near finished in my pres, I always put in too much detail. :(

Yeah I think carbs will make an appearance somewhere on the paper!!
    Ugh me too, in sociology there's just so much to write!! I write waaaay too much for it, can't get the 50 mark question done in just 20 minutes... I love it though :)
    What elective are you doing? I'm doing the sociology one. I don't know of anyone doing the textiles!!

• Advertisement

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Ugh me too, in sociology there's just so much to write!! I write waaaay too much for it, can't get the 50 mark question done in just 20 minutes... I love it though :)
    What elective are you doing? I'm doing the sociology one. I don't know of anyone doing the textiles!!

The one with poverty and unemployment and all. :L
    I sound awful for not knowing if it's sociology but I'm pretty sure it is. :L
    But yeah I just end up writing reams of stuff and never get onto my last long Q. :/

My teacher seems to think we're in for a really hard Q1 this year, as in, a full Q on vitamin B12 or something like that.
    I really hope not but you wouldn't know they're fairly unpredictable.

Manic2 wrote: »
    The one with poverty and unemployment and all. :L
    I sound awful for not knowing if it's sociology but I'm pretty sure it is. :L
    But yeah I just end up writing reams of stuff and never get onto my last long Q. :/

My teacher seems to think we're in for a really hard Q1 this year, as in, a full Q on vitamin B12 or something like that.
    I really hope not but you wouldn't know they're fairly unpredictable.

Yeah that's sociology! :P
    Oh dear god that sounds awful. I'd love an a1 or a2 in it, and if we get a hard paper that won't happen :/ I got a b1 in the mock, I wish I didn't, I wasn't expecting it at all :/ we better just study!!

Yeah that's sociology! :P
    Oh dear god that sounds awful. I'd love an a1 or a2 in it, and if we get a hard paper that won't happen :/ I got a b1 in the mock, I wish I didn't, I wasn't expecting it at all :/ we better just study!!

Yeah I'm looking for something similar!

Yeah it'd be awful, but it's not the long Q's that get me, it's the short Q's that are the absolute divil! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

poverty comes up every second year and it didnt come up last year..also maybe something on budgeting and finance?

Manic2 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm looking for something similar!

Yeah it'd be awful, but it's not the long Q's that get me, it's the short Q's that are the absolute divil! :L

Ah stop they're worth 1.5% each and they can come from anywhere on the course... Problem is the course is so bloody broad >:( they get me all the time they're so awkward :(

• Advertisement

I know it's an absolute pain!

Reckon a large appliance will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Apparently only like 100 students do the textile question every year... :eek:

Jesus.. That's not many atall! :O

But like wouldn't that be fairly handy? I'd say so like, making a thing already being part of the marks like.

Woah :O I still wouldn't do it though, thats another project on top of your journal isn't it?

Woah :O I still wouldn't do it though, thats another project on top of your journal isn't it?

I think so... but it just means your elective question is worth less in the paper :cool:

I think so... but it just means your elective question is worth less in the paper :cool:

I still couldn't handle another home ec project though :P

Any predictions on what Q1 might be on for HL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think for Q4 it'll be a large appliance and/or family resourse management (pleasepleaseplease).
    As for everything else I'm kinda screwed.
    I managed an a2 in my mock with absolute minmum study but I think I just got lucky. Thank god for the dossy marking scheme though.
    What questions are people doing on the day?
    Im thinking 2 and 4.
    Was gonna do 5 but I have the food commodities done now so might aswell go with 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm honestly dreading this exam as much as English, the course is so vast and the Short Q's really can come from anywhere like! I'd be delighted with something Calcium/Vitamin D related, linking into Milk etc on the Q1. I think the sociology question will be along the lines of unemployment just because of the state of the country.

Advertisement