Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Cork night-life gets stale?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I am not saying that Cork is a bad place to go out in, But what I am saying Is I think cork could benefit from a new more varied venue, like sir henrys! I find that after a year or two, going out in cork becomes boring and is often a same s*** different day kinda deal! I am into everything from techno, drum and bass, R&B and Rock to trad, I think Cork could definatly benefit from a larger more varied club and I think such a place would do well here. What do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I'm sick of going out here and I'm only 24, there's only 1 or 2 good places to go:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're into Live Music it isn't so bad, even going to the same venue having different bands to watch makes it new (Well, for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Yes, but worse are friends who insist on the same places all the time. No hope of getting an ole shift if it's the same candidates out in the same places!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I agree with newbee, not many places to go out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I always thought the Capitol Cineplex would make a great multi-room club if it could be done right, done kinda like the Foundry in Carlow it would be a pretty big deal.

That said, Cork is even lacking in decent Club Nights, never mind saying Clubs. Plenty of nice spaces, but a good club night seems to just not happen, Aside from Freak Scene which I feel rather old going to now. And at the Risk of being the anti-hipster, I used to go to Freak Scene before it got stale...(though change of Venue and night will improve it I think.)

A few more Club nights wouldn't go astray though, I can't really seeing many night club managers trying out new things, they tend to go for the regular Irish way of get as many in as you can fill them with cheap watered down crap, put on what's top 40 but with SUPERBASS and they'll love it.

There are a lot of places to go, just not a lot that ever changes.

• Advertisement

The last few club nights on in the Savoy in 2011 were practically deserted. The Pav is quite often very quite too. No point having supply if the demand isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Speedy199

Jogathon wrote: »
    Yes, but worse are friends who insist on the same places all the time. No hope of getting an ole shift if it's the same candidates out in the same places!!

Couldnt agree more. Friends go to the same nightclub which i now hate which leads going to the pub with another group of friends.

Clubbing seen has worn off for me anyways and im only 19 ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

RoverJames wrote: »
    No point having supply if the demand isn't there.

Very true, makes me wonder about the 2 5 and 6 thousand event places planned for Cork (Albert Quay and the old Beamish and Crawford site).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Cork nightlife is ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Pav provides plenty choice. There is always different type gigs happening there.

Much as I dislike the place, so does The Crane Lane.

If you are talking about generic pop music clubs, well what can you ask for really? The likes of Cubins and Havanas etc can be found in any town in Ireland. Though at least The Bowery does offer generic pop and also some less obvious, less poppy alternatives upstairs.

There is loads of choice around the city if you look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Speedy199

Even with the new club Eclipse it still hasnt changed the nightlife.

Speedy199 wrote: »
    Even with the new club Eclipse it still hasnt changed the nightlife.

Eclipse will be considered the new SideTrax for many years yet me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Yeh corks pretty ****e ,plus seriously quiet now in april ,
    it was grand when i was 17/18 but now its just boring , people alwys end up going to havanas and paying to get in , fcuk that its not worth 6quid , mangans is dirt so's cubins and the roxy is just about bearable , then theyre after wrecking the pubs , used love the brog but the music is too loud so you may aswell just head to a club no chance for talking because they closed the smoking area
    That being said I loved the savoy nights last year but people are stupid and wouldnt give havanas a skip for one night , no wonder they stopped opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

2 long neck bottles of bulmers for a fiver in havanas on tuesdays, you cannot argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Mix it up. Try going out on Maccurtain street every now and then. Also getting a cheap place to stay or a dedicated driver and Kinsale and Clonakilty are great for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Being 18 and having a grand total of two clubs to choose from on a Saturday night (and one of them is Mangans ffs), I'd have to say yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Namlub wrote: »
    Being 18 and having a grand total of two clubs to choose from on a Saturday night (and one of them is Mangans ffs), I'd have to say yeah.

ah there are more then 2 clubs for 18 year olds, and technically isn't mangans for 17 year olds?

when we were 18 (about 6-7 years ago) we used always go to clubs that were 21/23+ and get in! :D

its not that stale, compared to other places its quite good, the only problem with Cork is we are brand centralised, even if its a terrible deal we keep going back to the familiar which means unless a new club opens where an old popular one used to be it won't make it imo.

example: Fast eddies = The Bowery, The bowery made it big with the over 23's for ages, because to them it was a new fabulous club with food, and good and different music, co-incidentally the same people who'd remember Fast eddies in the 'good ole days'.

Gorbys also played on this when they re-branded from The cube/the works and it worked for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Nostalgia sells. And the only people spending money now are the 25+ market.

Students/younger folk have less choice in clubs because they don't spend as much money as they used to, tending to drink at home and go out later (generally preferring free late bars) and more likely to sneak in some booze too. Over 25s want to hear the same music they listened to when they were 18 for the most part.

It's market driven. Clubs cater to those who want to spend money.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Cork scene is rubbish for going out. Live venues are crap as well. The Pav tries really hard and puts on a lot of gigs, fair play to them, but it's not the most interesting to go to the same venue all the time.

Cypress Avenue is a hole.

Cruiscin Lan is a hole.

Gigs in the Crane Lane have gone to the dogs. I wouldn't rate it as a proper venue at all. I actually feel sorry for a lot of the talented musicians that play there and deal with people falling all over the place. DJ's are generic in there, the music is meh.

The Triskel/Gulp'd is great for a change, but it's not exactly a regular venue. It really depends whats on/if something is on.

So what does that leave in terms of late bars/venues... Hrmmm. Well there's The Slate, The Brog (eew) and then the likes of Cubins, Gorby's and Havanas.

Slim pickins'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

I'd actually like to know if the busker whos usually by the body shop/french connection ever gigs....or is it the moderne hes usually by. really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Nostalgia sells. And the only people spending money now are the 25+ market.

Students/younger folk have less choice in clubs because they don't spend as much money as they used to, tending to drink at home and go out later (generally preferring free late bars) and more likely to sneak in some booze too. Over 25s want to hear the same music they listened to when they were 18 for the most part.

It's market driven. Clubs cater to those who want to spend money.

Where exactly are these clubs that play music I used to hear when I was 18?! Cos I'd love to go to them! Havanas, Bowry, Cubins, Roxy so forth play the same ol chart stuff all the time, what ever is popular is on!
    Savoy used to do 90s,00s stuff on particular nights but Savoy has died a death!

Fair enough babo, twas a perhaps unfair generalisation on my part! I suppose I was thinking of the Crane Lane when I said that, which isn't even a club (it IS essentially the Bróg five years later though).

I wouldn't really go to Cubins or anything but big clubs are always going to play it safe cos' they have to appeal to a broad spectrum of people. So essentially nobody really hates the music but they don't particularly like it either.:)

Léan wrote: »
    Cork scene is rubbish for going out. Live venues are crap as well. The Pav tries really hard and puts on a lot of gigs, fair play to them, but it's not the most interesting to go to the same venue all the time.

Cypress Avenue is a hole.

Cruiscin Lan is a hole.

Gigs in the Crane Lane have gone to the dogs. I wouldn't rate it as a proper venue at all. I actually feel sorry for a lot of the talented musicians that play there and deal with people falling all over the place. DJ's are generic in there, the music is meh.

The Triskel/Gulp'd is great for a change, but it's not exactly a regular venue. It really depends whats on/if something is on.

Slim pickins'.

The Pav and Cyprus are the two main venues that host a variety of stuff. I wouldn't call the latter a hole either. It's not ideal but it's nowhere near as bad as something like the Cruiscín, in fairness (the Cruiscin used to be pretty good a couple of years ago actually).

I've put gigs on in pretty much every venue in Cork at this point. I'd agree there needs to more diversity but relying on publicans isn't going to work. Triskel/Plugd/Gulpd is great but as you say it's non-regular (the TCD room is actually run by the theatre group Corcadorca who are nice enough to let it out on some Saturday nights for gigs).

They tried the BYOB thing a while back too but it got shut down by cops (no real reason, they thought we were Occupy I think :confused: ). There's talk of more BYOB spaces opening up but we'll see. Live music is very tied into pubs and they have a vested interest in not letting that kind of competition get going, particularly now that beer companies are muscling in on it too.

There's a lot of gigs happening at all times though, in a diverse amount of places (Roundy, Freds, Guesthouse sometimes, Half Moon/Opera House). Plenty of variety if you take a look, especially compared to any other part of Ireland (except Dublin, obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Jogathon wrote: »

Ohhh my friends must hate me, I always insist on going to the same place, maybe this is way I haven't got the shift in a while, seeing the same people every weekend!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

The Pav and Cyprus are the two main venues that host a variety of stuff. I wouldn't call the latter a hole either. It's not ideal but it's nowhere near as bad as something like the Cruiscín, in fairness (the Cruiscin used to be pretty good a couple of years ago actually).

I've put gigs on in pretty much every venue in Cork at this point. I'd agree there needs to more diversity but relying on publicans isn't going to work. Triskel/Plugd/Gulpd is great but as you say it's non-regular (the TCD room is actually run by the theatre group Corcadorca who are nice enough to let it out on some Saturday nights for gigs).

They tried the BYOB thing a while back too but it got shut down by cops (no real reason, they thought we were Occupy I think :confused: ). There's talk of more BYOB spaces opening up but we'll see. Live music is very tied into pubs and they have a vested interest in not letting that kind of competition get going, particularly now that beer companies are muscling in on it too.

There's a lot of gigs happening at all times though, in a diverse amount of places (Roundy, Freds, Guesthouse sometimes, Half Moon/Opera House). Plenty of variety if you take a look, especially compared to any other part of Ireland (except Dublin, obviously!)

Cyprus is an awful venue.. The layout is terrible and it's really dingy. About two years ago it was great for gigs but since then it has seriously declined..

I wouldn't rate Freds or The Roundy as venues at all. The sound in the Roundy is not good, it's not conducive to gigs. Freds is, well, Freds, you get what you see I guess..

The Guesthouse is a fantastic amenity but it is an acquired taste and similar to the Triskel; it's not a regular venue, it's more of an arts facility.

The Opera House is decent in fairness, especially since Mary Hickson has taken it over, she has done great things, but again it's not a regular thing. By this I mean in the Opera House's case they need to appeal to the masses to fill their seats, so this means lots of pantos and the likes and a few good gigs or concerts thrown in sparsely throughout the year.

Léan wrote: »
    Cyprus is an awful venue.. The layout is terrible and it's really dingy. About two years ago it was great for gigs but since then it has seriously declined..

Hmm I don't think it's as bad as you say, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Been some great gigs in there over the last while; Swans, Earth, Dirty Three, White Hills and a few others. It could always be improved of course; it's definitely got some problems but it usually has decent sound and hosts a variety of local/national/international stuff. I've got a gig in there next month (first time I've done one in CA) so maybe I'll have a different opinion in a month! :D

As for the decline, I think that's an overall thing. Pav is running a lot less gigs than two years ago too and it's harder and harder to convince international bands to not just play Dublin.

I suppose in terms of bigger stuff, I can see your point though. There's not as much of a demand for it unfortunately; it'll be interesting to see how that proposed 5,000 seat venue goes (if it comes to fruition; I have my doubts) as that should be able to get bigger acts that wouldn't normally come to Cork.

Roundy tends to only do acoustic-ey stuff and it's fine for that. And Freds is mostly metal/harcdore so serves that function well enough. I do prefer the older layout (though the floor was caving in so probably for the best they changed it!) Crane Lane works ok too as long as it's charge-in and you have control of the room so that people coming in are there primarily to see the band. Otherwise it's a drunken free-for-all to a large extent!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    ah there are more then 2 clubs for 18 year olds, and technically isn't mangans for 17 year olds?

when we were 18 (about 6-7 years ago) we used always go to clubs that were 21/23+ and get in! :D

its not that stale, compared to other places its quite good, the only problem with Cork is we are brand centralised, even if its a terrible deal we keep going back to the familiar which means unless a new club opens where an old popular one used to be it won't make it imo.

example: Fast eddies = The Bowery, The bowery made it big with the over 23's for ages, because to them it was a new fabulous club with food, and good and different music, co-incidentally the same people who'd remember Fast eddies in the 'good ole days'.

Gorbys also played on this when they re-branded from The cube/the works and it worked for a year or two.

Gorbys, Mangans...? Any of the clubs that have opened that have opened recently have been 21s, 23s in some cases

Namlub wrote: »
    Gorbys, Mangans...? Any of the clubs that have opened that have opened recently have been 21s, 23s in some cases

What about that Roxy place? Is that 23s as well?

What about that Roxy place? Is that 23s as well?

It is from Thursday to Friday afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

Pity the halfmoon aint used anymore,it was bangin venue for a few years late 90s early 2000s. Cant understand why it isnt used :confused:

Advertisement