Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Cork night-life gets stale?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Namlub wrote: »
    Gorbys, Mangans...? Any of the clubs that have opened that have opened recently have been 21s, 23s in some cases

off the top of my head,

Cubins,
    mardyke
    everyman
    liquid lounge?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

sunshiner wrote: »
    Pity the halfmoon aint used anymore,it was bangin venue for a few years late 90s early 2000s. Cant understand why it isnt used :confused:

Ha! Don't think they were allowed to run a commercial club out of there. Either that or something changed with the way arts funding was handed out and since Half Moon=Opera House they couldn't do it anymore.

Twas great though, many a fun night in Camouflage! They've changed around the layout a bit since then, still got the downstairs bar too though.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    off the top of my head,

Cubins,
    mardyke
    everyman
    liquid lounge?

I thought the Liquid Lounge was gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    I thought the Liquid Lounge was gone?

i thought it was renamed? i saw youngsters pouring down the stairs there at 2am recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

off the top of my head,

Cubins,
    mardyke
    everyman
    liquid lounge?

Cubins is 21s at the weekend, Mardyke isn't a club, no idea what the Everyman is, and Liquid Lounge is closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Cork night life died when Henrys closed

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Namlub wrote: »
    Being 18 and having a grand total of two clubs to choose from on a Saturday night (and one of them is Mangans ffs), I'd have to say yeah.
    3 that I can think of; Gorbys, Mangans and Eclipse. Is Cubins not 18s on a saturday?
    i thought it was renamed? i saw youngsters pouring down the stairs there at 2am recently?
    It no longer functions as a regular nightclub. There was regular thursday nights up till about the end of April 2011 and since then it has been more of a venue, putting on the odd techno gig or what have you. Probably doing the odd 21st too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

HoggyRS wrote: »
    3 that I can think of; Gorbys, Mangans and Eclipse. Is Cubins not 18s on a saturday?
    Is Eclipse 18s at the weekend? I forgot it existed tbh :pac: Nah its 21s. It's technically not even 18s on a Thursday but they don't mind if you're not too drunk, think they're going for the older crowd these days

Firegaurd wrote: »
    Cork night life died when Henrys closed

That was just your youth slipping away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

That was just your youth slipping away :D

A little dies everyday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

regardless of age restrictions i just think all the clubs are the same. compared to other cities and certainly other countries, cork clubs are poor IMO. they are all over priced and cramped.

during the week there is a severe lack of late bars also, the main choices are the brog or the old oak which are both tiresome

either way i think pubs and clubs should stop letting people in when capacity gets too much. i know they're supposed to and probably do, but i find it awful towards the end of the night when you can't move, there's sweaty people rubbing off of you and idiots spilling their drink on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

EyeSight wrote: »
    during the week there is a severe lack of late bars also, the main choices are the brog or the old oak which are both tiresome

The Crane Lane, Reardens (depends on the night) are two other bars you didn't mention there.

everyman..............

Nothing there in ages, since the Bowery opened I think.

EyeSight wrote: »
    either way i think pubs and clubs should stop letting people in when capacity gets too much. i know they're supposed to and probably do, but i find it awful towards the end of the night when you can't move, there's sweaty people rubbing off of you and idiots spilling their drink on you

They don't.

You should still be able to move around pretty freely when it's at capacity. Most late bars and clubs exceed their capacities on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Late bars on Monday night, are we only talking about the Old Oak, Crane Lane, Reardons and the Brog?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Not the biggest fan of going out in town, it's the same **** every night. Don't mind Crane Lane too much though, they've got a decent variety of live bands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Anytime I've been in Cork, I've enjoyed going to either Costigan's, The Slate (I heard that has since closed - is that true?), The Cornstore or The Franciscan Well for a drink.

I haven't really bothered with the clubbing scene there in recent years, but I had a couple of good nights out in Suas. I've avoided the cattle mart that is Reardens over the last few years.

There were a few good gigs in The Savoy last year - one was Janelle Monae, which was great, and another was Example (also great).

No-one has mentioned The Oliver Plunkett (formerly Scott's). I saw Paddy Casey play there around a month ago and it was really good. I know Scott's would only let in over-21s before, but I don't know what the age restriction is now that it's the O.P. Same old story? I had a look at their upcoming gigs list though and there isn't much to get excited about, tbh. I heard they might be getting Aslan to play there soon, but come on. :rolleyes:

There are venues in Dublin that are able to get the likes of Azealia Banks, John Cale, The Magnetic Fields, Leonard Cohen, etc., but Cork venues tend to host local bands/musicians that have just stuck to the same Cork gigging circuit for years. It's pretty boring. Like, The Oliver Plunkett have Hank Wedel playing soon, and I've seen that he's always playing around Cork. Same old, same old guard.

Cork needs a venue (that doesn't have any of this 'over-21s/23s only' nonsense) as solid as Dublin's The Olympia or Vicar Street that can pull in quality Irish talent, as well as rising international talent. It'd really lift Cork nightlife and boost trade.

As for other types of entertainment, I saw David O'Doherty in The Pav fairly recently and I have to say it was a really good night.

The Opera House is good when they have decent acts playing and give the panto, Des Bishop and Crystal Swing shows a break. I see Professor Green is playing there tomorrow night. The Magnetic Fields are also playing there next week, and Mick Flannery is playing there on Sunday. So that's something. The rest of the concerts lined up for the remainder of 2012 aren't much good though, IMO.

I think The Everyman has gone to sh*t in recent years - all they seem to have are plays (do they ever stop showing 'Tom Crean - Antarctic Explorer'?) and panto for kids. I saw Keith Barry's show 'The Asylum' in there a couple of years ago though and I had a good night.

Cyprus Avenue can have the odd decent gig, in fairness. I see they have Dry The River, Therapy? (they always put on a good show) and The Raglans (lively bunch of lads from Dublin - like a rockier, more modern Mumford&Sons) playing there soon.

Sir Henry's was legendary. They had rock acts like Sonic Youth, Phil Lynott and, of course, a then-practically-unknown Nirvana, as well as dance sets by the likes of Carl Cox. The venue's musical diversity and consistency in hosting decent acts and club nights made it superior to all others. It's amazing that the place was open - and had the same name throughout - for over 20 years when you think of how fickle or volatile the scene is nowadays.

Does anyone know if a one-man-band named Kindness (I think he's from New York) is gigging at the mo'? http://www.myspace.com/kindnesses

I'd say he wouldn't be too expensive to book either, seeing as he isn't mainstream (yet).

The Minutes (from Dublin) aren't bad either:

Anyway, the city would benefit from a consistently good music venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Another Sir Henry's type nightclub you say ?
    I for one was delighted when that kip closed.

It didn't just close though, did it? It went out of business.

There's a hell of a lot more variety around the city now than there was back then. A lot of Cork/Irish talent is as good as the international stuff coming in and there is a nice mix which helps with keeping things varied and fresh. Sure you've got your mainstays as the previous poster above said, but that's no bad thing either.

There are peaks and troughs for everything depending on what you're into.
    Cork needs a venue (that doesn't have any of this 'over-21s/23s only' nonsense) as solid as Dublin's The Olympia or Vicar Street that can pull in quality Irish talent, as well as rising international talent. It'd really lift Cork nightlife and boost trade.

I don't get this statement at all. Between a lot of the venues you mentioned in your post, they're collectively doing exactly that. Having everything in one venue is a big mistake; if anything, it's a restriction on the variety that's essential to appealing to a broad mass of people.

A broad mass of people with great taste. Cos' it's Cork, like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Henrys was busy wednesdays, thursdays,fridays, saturdays and sundays until all the dj's suddenly packed it in and went to different clubs. Apparently the bouncers beat up a friend of one of the djs and they left in protest, well that was the most common rumour at the time anyhow. Would never have gone out of business otherwise, place was a gold mine.

Anyway as for stale thats just you blaming the place rather then your own tendencies to go to the same places. We all need a change of scene, head to clon or kinsale the odd night, do barracks street, maccurtain street, around albert quay, pana etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is there anywhere in Cork that plays a bit of Electro or drum and bass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I thought Henery's closed down so they could build new apartments and shops on the site.
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    Another Sir Henry's type nightclub you say ?
    I for one was delighted when that kip closed.

:eek: I'm just lost for words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Probably a Gorbys head :rolleyes:

Henrys was part of the Grand Parade Hotel which was going bust. They sold the entire premises and there was meant to bea shopping mall like Merchants Quay going in there.

As I said previously in the thread, The Pav is about the best club for house, DnB, Hip Hop, Reggae etc.

Is there anywhere in Cork that plays a bit of Electro or drum and bass?

There are a couple of club nights/promoters that do that stuff alright. Electric Underground and Ctrl-Alt-Delete are the two that come to mind, check 'em out on Facebook.

Electric Underground (Click)
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete (Click)

There's definitely more but it's not really my area of expertise. I know Electric Underground gets a lot of respect and has won some awards in the past.

EDIT: Oh and yeah, the Pav does stuff too, plus a lot of other types of music. Check their listings, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

There are a couple of club nights/promoters that do that stuff alright. Electric Underground and Ctrl-Alt-Delete are the two that come to mind, check 'em out on Facebook.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete (Click)

There's definitely more but it's not really my area of expertise. I know Electric Underground gets a lot of respect and has won some awards in the past.

EDIT: Oh and yeah, the Pav does stuff too, plus a lot of other types of music. Check their listings, I guess.

Cheers man,
    Read on the link above that Jerome Hill is at the Pav tomorrow night, well worth the trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ctrl-Alt-Delete (Click)

Excellent! thank you very big!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

gimmick wrote: »
    Probably a Gorbys head :rolleyes:

Henrys was part of the Grand Parade Hotel which was going bust. They sold the entire premises and there was meant to bea shopping mall like Merchants Quay going in there.

As I said previously in the thread, The Pav is about the best club for house, DnB, Hip Hop, Reggae etc.
    Nothing wrong with Gorby's.
    I didnt like Henrys due to the drug tag it had.

Excellent! thank you very big!

No hassle!

There's DubCulture too actually, they have someone big called Pinch coming over in a few weeks too.

DubCulture Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looked up the Guesthouse place that someone mentioned.

Apparently it's been around since 2004, is that right?

I've never heard of the place and I usually try to keep up with goings on like that in Cork!

I know it's going sorta off topic but if people wanted to go to see films of a night out there's always the Cork Cineclub in Crawford Art Gallery - the current season ends next Thursday (26th April) and Triskel showa films - look up http://www.triskelart.com/cinema.htm

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looked up the Guesthouse place that someone mentioned.

Apparently it's been around since 2004, is that right?

I've never heard of the place and I usually try to keep up with goings on like that in Cork!

Not sure how long it's been around or if it was always used in the same way then as it is now. I've been there a few times for music events but they do a lot of art-based events as well. Nice place and the guy running the place is sound.

Advertisement