Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Cork night-life gets stale?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Dermighty wrote: »
    From a bar workers perspective:

From my experience, the higher the age limit on the door the less hassle there is inside and the more money people spend. Young people are the ones that spend the least (relatively speaking) and cause the most hassle. So an extension of hours would most likely cause more hassle than it's worth. Many, many bars would need extra security or extra security shifts in addition to changing their entire business model from an 11-2 operation to an 11-6 operation, this costs the bars more and to be honest I doubt the costs would be repaid for all but the biggest bars.

That's just a potential outcome, in my opinion.

I'd agree with you there. Though if a place was opening at say 1am, I think you could be pretty damn strict on the door as regards drunk people. Bar staff would need to be trained to be more strict as well re: serving people who are clearly out to get plastered.

Saying that most late bars/clubs these days are going for the over 21s because young people don't spend much money anymore (having house parties first and going out later/emigration). The market speaks.

Ultimately a publican makes the decision themselves and takes on the responsibility. I have no problem with someone wanting to open such a place if it was legal but I probably wouldn't have much interest in regularly going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

The one thing that needs to be changed as has been touched on here is the late bars and the clubs closing at the same time,a bar can have a public dancing license with no area actually provided for dancing.I recall about 7 or 8 years ago the nightclub hours were extended but it only lasted a few weeks,went to coppers in dublin last year and were still dancing at 3.30 so even a half hour extra for the clubs or half hour less for the bars would work id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    I'd agree with you there. Though if a place was opening at say 1am, I think you could be pretty damn strict on the door as regards drunk people. Bar staff would need to be trained to be more strict as well re: serving people who are clearly out to get plastered.

Saying that most late bars/clubs these days are going for the over 21s because young people don't spend much money anymore (having house parties first and going out later/emigration). The market speaks.

Ultimately a publican makes the decision themselves and takes on the responsibility. I have no problem with someone wanting to open such a place if it was legal but I probably wouldn't have much interest in regularly going there!

Just to comment on that: My experience has shown that a guy drinking five or six shots in a row is not necessarily more of a threat (threat of anything, not just violence) than someone who is having a pint. Speaking to people for 20 or 30 seconds generally shows that some people are out to get hammered and will be grand, guys that have 10 or 15 pints before they even reach our door are let in all the time, because they'll go in, have another ten drinks and do nothing out of the ordinary. They're not even the hardcore drinkers either.

Regards the younger people, they seem to think they're the cash cow. The fact is they're not. They pay in, they buy two drinks and by 1am they're not buying. also, they're far worse to deal with. I'd rather deal with 21 year olds or older and take my chances with serious fights than deal with 18 or 19 year olds who don't really fight.

On a separate note, what I notice with younger people (18, 19, 20 etc) is that they have a complete lack of accountability or morality in many cases. An example is throwing glasses into the crowd, etc. I mean I'm 26, and there's lots of stuff they do and I wonder how they can actually do it without being slightly dysfunctional. I was 18 not so long ago and I genuinely drank a lot and never did any of the stuff they did, never got in a fight, never threw a glass, never got kicked out of anywhere.Anyway, that argument is for another day.

Where I work the latest they've ever pushed it was 2:35 or 2:40. In Coppers (the one time I was there) the music stopped at 3:45. That's a serious difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Dermighty wrote: »
    Just to comment on that: My experience has shown that a guy drinking five or six shots in a row is not necessarily more of a threat (threat of anything, not just violence) than someone who is having a pint.

My point about stricter bar staff was in reference to the fictional futuristic 6am bar :D As things stand now, most bar staff in late bars/clubs don't exercise much judgement with serving people consecutive double shots etc.

I've worked in a couple of bars over the years so I'm more than familiar with figuring out who is going to be trouble and who seems fine, regardless of drink intake. To be honest, I'd be keeping an eye on someone if they were drinking a lot of shots in quick succession just cos' there's a good chance they're going to get messy if they keep down that road. Mostly it's just a case of common sense really.

And yeah, the glass throwing thing is insane. Had two thrown at me in my time behind a bar (as well as the usual volley of nonsensical threats etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Can anyone think of nightclubs that do not have stairs?! On crutches at the mo and if I have to spend the next 6 weekends in I just might go insane! Only problem is I;m not very good at the oul stairs on the crutches and the clubs I normally go to have stairs so in a bit of a dilema!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Cubins downstairs or bodega.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spider2006

hey fellas, i'am not a corkonian guy, and actually i'am not even an irish fella... but i used to live and work in cork, and i can guaranteed that (since i used to travel a lot and i visited many european countries): cork city is the only place that remained so deep in my hearth i cannot take every moment i spent, by day and by night, in every corner of those streets out of my mind... believe me, you are lucky, very lucky, cork is the best city in the world !!!
    thank to all of you corkonian fellas to have welcomed me so well !!
    do somethign for me please: have a pint (or two or three or... whatever!) at an brog or havanas or old oak or... even towards oliver plunkett street (garda allowed like!!)
    take it easy boy(s) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

(Bit of an old thread, but..)

I do miss some venues that disappeared or are fading away. Even Sir Henrys. The Isobar was class when it first opened, first place with lots of imported beers. City Limits used to get a big crowd for the comedy which stayed on for the club, but that seems to have died away. And the Savoy was spectacular when it first opened.

But I don't know if we can complain too much about the lack of choice. There are several clubs / late night bars around the city, and most people always go to the same one or two out of habit. I can't recall the last time I went out at the weekend to anywhere other than the Crane Lane, the Bodega or the Bowery.

There are some good dance music nights, but typically in the smaller venues (such as in Cyprus Avenue) as they don't get the crowds.

But generally, I think Cork's pretty good. Back when I was in college the most you could hope for mid-week was paying into a nightclub that was half-full at best; now you have the option of late bars, some of which (Crane Lane, Reardans) would have a good sized crowd. There are new venues popping up (looking forward to trying a gig in the Triskel Christchurch) and lots of places have good beer gardens now, for those summer evenings that we don't really get.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I thought it was good till I seen what other Cities had to offer, a night out in Derry or Edinburgh would make ya depressed going out in Cork.

The options for young people seem to be, going out with Knackers in Mangans and Cubins or gamble paying into Havanas or the Roxy in the hope the place won't be dead.

Advertisement