Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to put at back of stove?

• 03-04-2012 10:17pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

see the pic?

option of simply plastering in to finish flush with the wall.

Also thinking of using fireline board and then simply filling in the gaps. Would be less messy than complete plastering. But how might I fix the fireline plasterboard to the blocks? Have some spare fire cement. Would this be OK?

Thoughts?

Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

The fire cement doesn't have any great glueing qualities once it dries out in my limited experience OP.
    Used it on my own stove to seal up a flue and once it sets it doesn't bind the two surfaces together,more like sets in situ into a hard clay.
    May be a bit robust but 4 ' steel nails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

use the fire board,stick the slab with bonding compound,when it goes hard,plug it with two steel mushroom fixings either side.re skim and your done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Will skim stand the heat?
    I know the lad that did our house wouldn't skim the recess round the stove, scratched and sand/cement plastered it.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

tks lads,

what exactly is involved in skimming?

can I paint direct onto the fireline plasterboard?

tks again

eamon

bbam wrote: »
    Will skim stand the heat?

ive never had a problem with it,but for the op if doing it yourself you would prob be better of taping the joints and sanding before painting it,look up drylining vids on youtube for instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭anheneti

Don't leave the fibreglass behind the stove either if its been used to seal the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

use the fire board,stick the slab with bonding compound,when it goes hard,plug it with two steel mushroom fixings either side.re skim and your done.

sounds good to me

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

tks lads,

Why would the fiberglass need to be taken out? Isnt this an insulator?

Also, if u look on the left side of the stove u will see a large hole where the pipes are. Would this hole need to be filled before I put on the plasterboard? Or can I just put the plasterboard over it?

And 1 more thing lads please. The corner is about 1 inch thick(as in prodruding 1 inch out from the blockwork). The plasterboard 1/2 an inch. 2 layers of plasterboard ok? And when cutting the plastercoard can I cut a long section off the rectangular section to enter on top to cover the top back of stove, if u can understand what im saying. This would only be a few inches wide.

Thanks a lot

wouldnt be worried about the insulation,you will need to fill the holes by the pipes as much as you need to be able to fix the boards to the wall,sand cement or bonding is fine for this.
    you can build up the wall with two boards no probs,you could use the half inch fire slab,plus 3/8 inch standard slab on top this would allow room for skim or filler afterwards,you could use your remaining bonding to fill it out another bit if needed before finish coat goes on,for the sake of a hundred quid and 30 or 40 on material you could get a plasterer to do it,get whole face of chimney breast done cause it looks a bit ruff over the stove.

if your in cork il do it for ya:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭anheneti

eamon11 wrote: »
    tks lads,

Why would the fiberglass need to be taken out? Isnt this an insulator?

Also, if u look on the left side of the stove u will see a large hole where the pipes are. Would this hole need to be filled before I put on the plasterboard? Or can I just put the plasterboard over it?

And 1 more thing lads please. The corner is about 1 inch thick(as in prodruding 1 inch out from the blockwork). The plasterboard 1/2 an inch. 2 layers of plasterboard ok? And when cutting the plastercoard can I cut a long section off the rectangular section to enter on top to cover the top back of stove, if u can understand what im saying. This would only be a few inches wide.

Thanks a lot

with the heat of a stove the fibreglass can singe, causing a terrible smell and the fumes would a health risk.
    Also it is against building regulations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement