Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

giving calves poitin?

• 03-04-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I know we have all giving it to calves...! I gave it to a calf today, but i often thought is there any benefit to giving it? and is it doing more harm than good!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

well ya could always give some to the calf some to yourself and see who is sicker in the morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Don't really know but my dad who was a teetotaller and a very comitted stockman would always make sure there was some in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

OH gives it to cows that are down. We had one who fell in a ditch and she wouldn't stand up after we got her out. The day after she fell in she was still down so she got the *magic* and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Suppose it works same way as taking a hot toddy when one has the flu.

Alleviates the symptoms, makes ones sleep so the body can get on with recovering.

Don't give them to much, nothing worse than a yearling with a sore head:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I suppose it could act as a painkiller in small amounts.
    It's not something we'd give but then there are lots of different remedies in different parts of the country.
    I know if I have a few shots of it I feel invincible !

For a while anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I know of a guy that drank too much poitin one Saturday night. On the Sunday morning, not feeling the best, he got dragged out to Mass. He fell asleep, woke up and thought he was still in the nightclub. He got out into the aisle of the church and started dancing around......:D
    True Story !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pakalasa wrote: »
    I know of a guy that drank too much poitin one Saturday night. On the Sunday morning, not feeling the best, he got dragged out to Mass. He fell asleep, woke up and thought he was still in the nightclub. He got out into the aisle of the church and started dancing around......:D
    True Story !!

Ah - dragged out to mass on a Sunday morning with a desperately sore head... takes me back :D

Poitín - we would always have some, to give to a very sick animal. Only a small amount. I think a small bit prob helps, mixed up in a tonic - but giving something warm & high energy to the animal probably helps as much IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Suppose it works same way as taking a hot toddy when one has the flu.

Alleviates the symptoms, makes ones sleep so the body can get on with recovering.

Don't give them to much, nothing worse than a yearling with a sore head:D
    A teenager with a sore head;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

We would give it to a few every year, usually mixed with warmed milk or a glucose mix to stimulate the stomach and give it a bit of a boost rather than hitting an animals stomach with the alcohol.

I have fond memories of poor old Lazarus, a weanling that was flat out on the ground with pneumonia that the vet had given up on.
    A nice dose of poitin later and he was looking brighter. Was up and walking the next day:D

Advertisement