Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows things going in OZ nowadays

Options
  • 03-04-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

What is the real experiences of people down under, be it work, wages, renting, cars, standard of living etc etc... You hear all about the great weather and great money to be made but I personally take that with a pinch of salt...

Was thinking heading for a year or 2 to experience this OZ hype that is around at the min, I would be interested in somewhere chilled and not the whole hussle and bussle of city life and if I liked it might stay a fair bit longer.

Any experiences or advise welcome cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

trixyben wrote: »
    What is the real experiences of people down under, be it work, wages, renting, cars, standard of living etc etc... You hear all about the great weather and great money to be made but I personally take that with a pinch of salt...

Was thinking heading for a year or 2 to experience this OZ hype that is around at the min, I would be interested in somewhere chilled and not the whole hussle and bussle of city life and if I liked it might stay a fair bit longer.

May as well stay where you are

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/australia-ranked-as-ninth-happiest-country-in-the-world/story-fn7x8me2-1226318913938
    The World Happiness Report, released at a United Nations conference, places Australia in ninth position, with
    Denmark topping the list, followed by
    Finland,
    Norway,
    The Netherlands,
    Canada,
    Switzerland,
    Sweden,
    New Zealand,
    Australia
    and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

ah now OZ cant be that bad can it?

have been looking at Perth, Melbourne and Darwin areas, anywhere really!! Looking somewhere chilled out, bit of work, not to expensive to live etc etc...im defo not looking for party scene, pubs everywhere, make loads money etc!!! Any suggestions folks

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Unless you want to work in the mines or in an industry related. I'd stay well away! I have only experience in Perth and can't wait to leave! Rent is in insane, food shopping is dear, and 2nd hand cars are absolutely mental in price!

It's not the country it was 3 years ago! That sayd it's better than Ireland. But I do know people who were unable to find decent employment and left within a month or 2!

The weather is great yea, so hot that you you don't want to go out in it! And if like me beaches boar you! There's feck all else to do without splashing the cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

ah now OZ cant be that bad can it?
    bit of work, not to expensive to live etc etc...im defo not looking for party scene, pubs everywhere, make loads money etc!!! Any suggestions folks

You're coming to the wrong country then, Australia is crazy expensive, off the wall expensive, and when you arrive you will eat through your money fast. Some people say the cost of living is relative to the wages earned here but until you catch one of those elusive jobs it'll be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Unless you want to work in the mines or in an industry related. I'd stay well away! I have only experience in Perth and can't wait to leave! Rent is in insane, food shopping is dear, and 2nd hand cars are absolutely mental in price!

It's not the country it was 3 years ago! That sayd it's better than Ireland. But I do know people who were unable to find decent employment and left within a month or 2!

The weather is great yea, so hot that you you don't want to go out in it! And if like me beaches boar you! There's feck all else to do without splashing the cash!
    I'd agree with most of this.

Wanting to work is one thing, actually getting to work is another thing. Again, I can only speak of Perth, I'm here on a WHV, with a strong educational background, it's extremely difficult to get any kind of job. As Noes said, it's all about construction and mining here, if you come here on a WHV and dont have construction or mining experience then be prepared to wait a long time looking for any kind of job.

Rent is very expensive, it probably is all over Oz, I'm just talking about Perth, weather is great and the people are laid back here.

• Advertisement

heard abit about the mines and that is where there is a good bit of employment...how handy is it to get a job in them? are they in areas in middle of no where were you have to live in that area?

been looking on net for different jobs there and in fairness there is a lot! Does having a whv go against you then as you are only available for 6 months before having to be replaced?

I hear alot of people are in Perth are heading to Perth so it must be booming some way? would it be as hard to get work in the quietier areas such as cairns, darwin etc?

heard abit about the mines and that is where there is a good bit of employment...how handy is it to get a job in them? are they in areas in middle of no where were you have to live in that area?

been looking on net for different jobs there and in fairness there is a lot! Does having a whv go against you then as you are only available for 6 months before having to be replaced?

I hear alot of people are in Perth are heading to Perth so it must be booming some way? would it be as hard to get work in the quietier areas such as cairns, darwin etc?

Your not wrong m8. There is alot of people in Perth. And coming to. Which I think is not helping the job hunt! I don't know how difficult it is to get work in remote areas! I'd imagine it's easier, but don't expect to get paid well! And also bare in mind the size of the country. Remote really is remote! It's very expensive to go anywhere from Perth! Mainly because everything is so far away!

Having a WHV is an absolutely massive hinderence!

And there is work in the mines with new projects in the pipeline and enough minerals in the ground to have them digging for 200 years! But I stress. The mines are extremely difficult to get involved with! You need experience and alot of it which is very specific for the job role!

A mechanic for example would find it hard unless he was a diesel mechanic. A plumber wouldn't be considered unless he had a long history of industrial works. And the only carpentry there interested in is formwork! If its just labour you want at 140,000 a year sallary to start! Well join the cue!

From what I've seen and heard. If you don't know some1 up there to help you in the door! You have to be well experienced!

The vast majority of mines are far north. Extremely remote! There's mining towns you can live in but alot of the work is fly in fly out! It's 12hour days in 40+ degrees with flys all over ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I was never person a beach until recently, I've slowed down I guess but now I love having the beach so close. During the hot days there's nothing I liked more than sitting in the shade of a tree and letting the ocean breeze keep you cool. Perth does get very hot but the humidity is low, you really do have to be careful with the UV levels.

I agree that cost of living can be high. $10 pints, stupidly expensive cars and mad rents! Having said that the transport is great that I can get by without a car, only really need one to go for trips outside the city and then it makes more sense to hire one.

On the plus side you can get some great local wines really cheap, the free outdoor BBQs are really handy and if you like Asian food there are some good options. Plus I love Roo meat, really good for you too.

Their Bogans are nothing like Irelands skangers, generally Perth feels like a very safe place, more trouble seemed to happen on an average weekend in the Irish town I left.

If you plan to try it longterm then it's best to join clubs etc, it can be hard to make friendships otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Do people really think the rent in Perth is much higher than the rest of OZ?

I was living in a really really nice modern apartment complex with pool, gym, sauna, games room, jacuzzi etc in West Perth, about a 10 minute walk from the city, 18 bus routes at my front door and was paying much much less than I am now living in a crappy duplex in Sydney. Viewed about 8 different places before I moved into this one in Sydney too and all of them were more expensive than my apartment in Perth and none of them even half as nice. Found it much easier to find an apartment in Perth than in Sydney too.

Haven't noticed any difference in the price of food in Coles/Woolworths between Sydney and Perth either. Granted going out can be a good bit pricier in Perth as you're looking at probably paying around $10 a pint.

All in all though if someone gave me the choice of living in Perth or Sydney long-term I'd pick Perth without any hesitation whatsoever.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Do people really think the rent in Perth is much higher than the rest of OZ?

I was living in a really really nice modern apartment complex with pool, gym, sauna, games room, jacuzzi etc in West Perth, about a 10 minute walk from the city, 18 bus routes at my front door and was paying much much less than I am now living in a crappy duplex in Sydney. Viewed about 8 different places before I moved into this one in Sydney too and all of them were more expensive than my apartment in Perth and none of them even half as nice. Found it much easier to find an apartment in Perth than in Sydney too.

Haven't noticed any difference in the price of food in Coles/Woolworths between Sydney and Perth either. Granted going out can be a good bit pricier in Perth as you're looking at probably paying around $10 a pint.

All in all though if someone gave me the choice of living in Perth or Sydney long-term I'd pick Perth without any hesitation whatsoever.

When we're you renting in Perth? It's gone especially crazy here this year. There's a massive shortage of rental property at the moment driving up prices.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Perth is nuts for renting at the moment, loads of people coming with families for the mining. A lot of FIFO workers based in Perth.

It was mentioned on another thread but having rental references is a good idea, the EA we were dealing with said it automatically bumped us up the queue. We checked with reference and they weren't contacted, the EA just prefers to have something on paper than nothing at all.

The choice of accomodation isn't great but if you're near public transport then you be spending more time at the beach, at least I am.:)

catbear wrote: »
    Yeah, Perth is nuts for renting at the moment, loads of people coming with families for the mining. A lot of FIFO workers based in Perth.

It was mentioned on another thread but having rental references is a good idea, the EA we were dealing with said it automatically bumped us up the queue. We checked with reference and they weren't contacted, the EA just prefers to have something on paper than nothing at all.

The choice of accomodation isn't great but if you're near public transport then you be spending more time at the beach, at least I am.:)
    So are you guys saving out there or living paycheck to paycheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When we're you renting in Perth? It's gone especially crazy here this year. There's a massive shortage of rental property at the moment driving up prices.

He was here up until February, and he's spot on with everything he says in my experience.

So are you guys saving out there or living paycheck to paycheck?
    I'm kicking back at the mo, the other half is working in mining related stuff and is saving loads. I'll get around to looking for work at some stage but I've being promising myself a break for years and Perth beaches are pretty chilled out places. We're not whv.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Spent a year in Oz,about 9 months of that in the mines.I found it impossible to get a job,as I am only a labourer.Like other posts mentioned, I had a mate who got me in.

The mines was good money but no life.I was doing 12hr days,5am-5pm for 4 weeks straight and then a week off.We worked in 40+ heat with about 1000 flys crawling outside me flynet and no matter how good of flynet you had,there was always 10 or 20 flys got under it.

The camp was 180km from the nearest village.Food and accommodation was good.You had 2 options in the evenings,you either got your dinner and joined the other aussies in the wet mess(Pub) or went to your room and watch TV.

When I was on my week off,I found Perth a complete rip off.Taxi's,Rent,Drink,Food,its even $20 to go to the cinema.It is a good city with laid back people and you can live if you get a good job but you need a construction degree or a construction trade.

I am home now since August.Was chatting one of the lads last week and he said the Irish invasion in Perth is unreal at the moment.He also said that new arrivals can spend up to six weeks looking for work now and that it is nearly impossible to get accommodation due to big influx of people.

I would say read all the advice you get on here before you make a decision.

I have a friend who is a qualified QS who went over in February on a WHV.He asked my advice before he left and I told him if he was looking for QS work,he would be as well to get a skilled migration visa.He said he would have no problem getting work sure they are crying out for QS's over there.He rang me last week and said he can't get QS work with his WHV and is working labouring for $800 a week(very bad money for Perth).

So he is coming home after spending $5000 since February.Some many people buy into the stories from Oz,thanks to people exaggerating their experiences and of course the media.RTE tell people 100,000 wanted in Oz,Nz or Canada.It isn't as clear cut as that.To finish off,if you are qualified you will get on well.I am going back to finish my final 2 years of QS and I may head back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Why do people keep saying "Perth is so laid back" or "Perth people are so laid back"?
    What a load of crap. Perth people are as rude and arrogant as any other major city. Traffic is a nightmare. People don't know how to queue either.
    Stickers on cars say "**** off we're full".
    Need I go on? Some people on here are really looking through rose tinted glasses. If you want polite, laid back people please stay in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Laid back does not mean polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Zambia wrote: »

How can Finland be second happiest country when it regularly tops the statistics for suicides since as far back as I can remember ?

Because suicide rates mean fuk all really.

ok so anyone been anywhere else bar Perth?

I'll be going on a whv so open to any kind of work really so location can be anywhere really, as I said before looking somewhere chilled out, bit of work, few beers, easy life if ya know what i mean

Just a question on the 3 months regional work required for 2nd year visa...

Are the 3 months regional work on top of your 12 month visa or do you wrk 9 months say and then do the 3 months regional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I'll be going on a whv so open to any kind of work really so location can be anywhere really, as I said before looking somewhere chilled out, bit of work, few beers, easy life if ya know what i mean

Just a question on the 3 months regional work required for 2nd year visa...

Are the 3 months regional work on top of your 12 month visa or do you wrk 9 months say and then do the 3 months regional?

I am in Melbourne and it's pretty much the same across the country.

9 months working holiday and 88 days regional work.

I am in Melbourne and it's pretty much the same across the country.

9 months working holiday and 88 days regional work.

is Melbourne as expensive as Perth by the the sounds of things?

Melbourne is one location on the short list alright, I do like the sound of Darwina and Cairns but just wondering is there as much work opportunites there etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I'm in Melbourne at the moment with the girlfriend and we love it. Amazing city, always something happening! All last month was the food and wine festival, and all this month is the comedy festival.. Add to this all the sport which is on and the great nightlife and you really have an awesome place to live!

Work wise the money is good but it all depends on the field your in, your experience, qualifications, work ethic, resoursefulness and whether you get luckly. I'm in hospitality (finished college last may) and me and the girlfriend actually earn more then everyone in the restaurant bar the head chef!

All the poor Aussie bastards are on salary while we are on casual Pay. So when ya do 50 hour weeks ya rake in the $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Hi guys i found the australians sound well in sydney anyway,i am looking to go back,i am a qualified plumber here in ireland but to get my trade accessed will cost me 2,500 aud,i am thinking of goin to canada instead as i am over 31 and would need to get sponcered,any thoughts:confused:,also would there be any chance of me getting into the mine,s?Also guys does anyone know the emails of some mines in australia so i can send on my cv.thanks lads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was renting from September up until the end of February.
    catbear wrote: »

Perth accommodation choices are a mile better than those in Sydney imo. Places we viewed in Perth most of them were new apartment blocks or houses. In Sydney anything affordable is usually an old block of duplexes or a really old townhouse. We only viewed 3 places in Perth before we got the one we wanted, and about 8 or 9 here in Sydney and each of the Perth ones were better quality and cheaper than all the places in Sydney.
    Brndn wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying "Perth is so laid back" or "Perth people are so laid back"?
    What a load of crap. Perth people are as rude and arrogant as any other major city. Traffic is a nightmare. People don't know how to queue either.

Perth traffic is even lighter than that back home.

My uncle rang me when I was there one day to ask me could I give him a lift to his doctors appointement because his car wouldn't start. This was at 4.30 on a Friday evening. I drove across the city to pick him up, back across the city to his doctors, across the city again to drop him home and then across the city again to go home and it only took me about an hour and a quarter including the waiting for him at the doctors. I'd like to see any other major City in the world you could do that in at rush hour on a Friday in even double the time.

I'm in Melbourne at the moment with the girlfriend and we love it. Amazing city, always something happening! All last month was the food and wine festival, and all this month is the comedy festival.. Add to this all the sport which is on and the great nightlife and you really have an awesome place to live!

Work wise the money is good but it all depends on the field your in, your experience, qualifications, work ethic, resoursefulness and whether you get luckly. I'm in hospitality (finished college last may) and me and the girlfriend actually earn more then everyone in the restaurant bar the head chef!

All the poor Aussie bastards are on salary while we are on casual Pay. So when ya do 50 hour weeks ya rake in the $$$.

Good to hear you and your other half are getting on well!

Can I ask did you have jobs already set up before you went over or did it take you long to get 1? How do you find the expenses side of things? do yous live in the city itself? have you a car or is the public transport any good?

sorry for all the questions but im really interested in Melbourne and wantg to find out all I can, and if things dont work out there Sydney and brisbane not to far away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

If you have a degree or some qualification Australia is awesome. I work in IT and I've been sponsored over here. Probably earn about 4 times the salary I was getting back in Ireland. Most people I know with degrees etc are earning a hell of a lot more over here than they were at home. The cost of living is expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

colman1212 wrote: »
    If you have a degree or some qualification Australia is awesome. I work in IT and I've been sponsored over here. Probably earn about 4 times the salary I was getting back in Ireland. Most people I know with degrees etc are earning a hell of a lot more over here than they were at home. The cost of living is expensive relative though.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

colman1212 wrote: »
    If you have a degree or some qualification Australia is awesome. I work in IT and I've been sponsored over here. Probably earn about 4 times the salary I was getting back in Ireland. Most people I know with degrees etc are earning a hell of a lot more over here than they were at home. The cost of living is expensive though.

More or less the same for me except I'm not in IT. Cost of living is ridiculously expensive. I was on a decent salary at home, am on about three times as much here - yet I have less disposable income.

• Advertisement

my plan was to go over on a whv for maybe the 2 years suss it out get a feel for it and take it from there, didnt want to get tied into 1 job want it as easy going as possible, but by the sounds of things the whv doesnt sound like the above :confused:

I could get a skilled visa (any one know the cost of one?) and go and work in my profession which is on the skills wanted list, which by the sounds of things seems like the better option as job security and pay would be alot better but i was thinking the whv option before im to old to get it

What would you folks suggest from your experience so far in OZ?

Two options i have:

1. Go on whv travel around, not commiting to job, basically free flowing around the place, visa costs very little and it gives a taste of what OZ is like

2. Go on skilled visa, get job in my field, more security job wise, become an OZ citizen (i think?) come and go as i please, use the health service, education service etc -- I know i could get a sponsered skilled visa but i dont want to be tied to having to work for 1 employer for 3 or 4 year in 1 place if you know what i mean!

Advertisement