Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows things going in OZ nowadays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

trixyben wrote: »

What would you folks suggest from your experience so far in OZ?

So far after 7 1/2 years fantastic, still enjoying the life here as its just one huge playground plus I'm making a decent enough living. Thoughts of family and green fields of Ireland are still there..... but there is no requirement for me to return back to doom & gloom at the moment.

1. Go on whv travel around, not commiting to job, basically free flowing around the place, visa costs very little and it gives a taste of what OZ is like

That's what holidaying is all about, enjoying yourself and if required do a spot of work here and there.

2. Go on skilled visa, get job in my field, more security job wise, become an OZ citizen (i think?) come and go as i please, use the health service, education service etc

At least €3000 for this option, if a migration agent is required just double it. But its the real deal and you are not messing around.

You wouldn't be eligible for Citizenship for at least 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

mandrake04 wrote: »
    So far after 7 1/2 years fantastic, still enjoying the life here as its just one huge playground plus I'm making a decent enough living. Thoughts of family and green fields of Ireland are still there..... but there is no requirement for me to return back to doom & gloom at the moment.

That's what holidaying is all about, enjoying yourself and if required do a spot of work here and there.

At least €3000 for this option, if a migration agent is required just double it. But its the real deal and you are not messing around.

Ireland isnt doom and gloom at all!,far from it but the media does portray it that way so its understandable to think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Ireland isnt doom and gloom at all!,far from it but the media does portray it that way so its understandable to think that.

The price on Australia's immigration website is over $7000 for skilled migration isnt it? Add to that a skills test which I was quoted 2500 for and then whatever other crap you needed such as medicals..

It's a he'll of a lot a money and I'm not convinced the work is here to make a return on it. unless your going straight to the mines I think you'll go from 1 recession to a whole new 1! Seeing the loans people get here is scary, I think it has to burst!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I wouldnt bother trying to get the skilled migration visa if you still have a working holiday visa to use. If you get work with a company and get on well they can sponsor you pretty cheaply and will pay for it. This way it wont actually cost you anything. The skilled migrant visa is pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

NoelAPM wrote: »
    The price on Australia's immigration website is over $7000 for skilled migration isnt it? Add to that a skills test which I was quoted 2500 for and then whatever other crap you needed such as medicals..
    No .. it's about 2500 for skills, skills vary from area to area, mine was $430 for ACS and medical was about 280 ish

• Advertisement

It's a he'll of a lot a money and I'm not convinced the work is here to make a return on it. unless your going straight to the mines I think you'll go from 1 recession to a whole new 1! Seeing the loans people get here is scary, I think it has to burst!

Its $2960 but add in the another costs and its at least $4000 plus $3000 for your agent if required.

Also what this obsession with the mines, there are plenty of jobs around Sydney that pays $120K no need to go to the mines.
    hussey wrote: »
    No .. it's about 2500 for skills, skills vary from area to area, mine was $430 for ACS and medical was about 280 ish

VETASSESS is about $2500 if you don't have any papers, you do a practical test to make sure you are not BS'ing them but you pay the big bucks for it.

If you have already have useful qualifications like yours & mine the ACS or TRA just do a quick verification that they are legit. $300 -$400 worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

as i have a degree and am qualified in a area on their skilled required list do I have to do any other skills test etc?

Been looking into indepentant skilled visa and it looks like what im after (i think), if i apply myself for visa is it complicated or straight forward? does it take long to go through? these health tests that are required do I go to my own doctor for it or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Good to hear you and your other half are getting on well!

Can I ask did you have jobs already set up before you went over or did it take you long to get 1? How do you find the expenses side of things? do yous live in the city itself? have you a car or is the public transport any good?

sorry for all the questions but im really interested in Melbourne and wantg to find out all I can, and if things dont work out there Sydney and brisbane not to far away

No we waited until we arrived until we looked for work. After looking for work for one day we had something like eight interviews lined up over the next three days. However our case is not the same for everyone. Hospitality work is plentiful over here so we were always going to find work easy to come by. If you work in a different sector you may not find work as easy to come by. The fact we got hired as supervisors was very lucky as well. Most employers wouldn't entertain the idea of having WHV holders as supervisors as you'll be gone in 6 months.

In regards to expense wise, contrary to what people say Melbourne isn't expensive as long as you realise its all relative to what you earn! Okay, if your back packing and not working full time you may struggle - but honestly if your working full time you should be able to save a good bit and still have enough spending money for yourself.

In our case me and the missus have so far been to Tasmania, done trips to the Great Ocean Road, the Grampians, Paid for a holiday to Fiji, paid for hotels in Coffs Harbour, Port Maquaire, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay and Sydney, bought a fancy new camera and spent alot of money on the cities many bars/restaurants and when we leave next week we'll have $21,000 saved!

Hasn't been a bad six months!

Oh and no you don't need a car in Melbourne. Public transport is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Despite Markymark21s continued one-man economic miracle, Australia in general is extremely expensive for expats, thats before you consider that you will be without any kind of support while on a WHV. Numbeo ranks it the 4th most expensive country in the world after Monaco, Japan and Switzerland.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

Many employers of WHV workers border on exploitative, particularly in areas where competition for work among WHVers is high (e.g. the places youll actually want to live). In hospitality below minimum wage, off the books payments are rife. As are zero hour, cancelling/changing shifts often on the same day, lack of proper contracts and even withholding of pay for petty reasons. Quality of housing is also often poor and very expensive to go with the low wages, and many struggle.

Bring a large wedge in case you get caught in this trap, as many do. It can be tough going.

as i have a degree and am qualified in a area on their skilled required list do I have to do any other skills test etc?

Been looking into indepentant skilled visa and it looks like what im after (i think), if i apply myself for visa is it complicated or straight forward? does it take long to go through? these health tests that are required do I go to my own doctor for it or how does it work?

For Skilled visa Qualifications are required but experience is just as important, lack of experience is what sinks most people. 12 months relevant experience in the last 24 . Ideally at least 3-5 years to get you your points and avoid scraping the barrel doing IELTS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

For Skilled visa Qualifications are required but experience is just as important, lack of experience is what sinks most people. 12 months relevant experience in the last 24 . Ideally at least 3-5 years to get you your points and avoid scraping the barrel doing IELTS.

What do you mean by avoid scraping the barrel doing IELTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

zweton wrote: »
    What do you mean by avoid scraping the barrel doing IELTS?

I think he means scraping the barrel in regards just scraping enough points together. Opposed to the candidate being from the scrapings of the barrel..

Yeah scraping the barrel points wise, IELTS is an unnecessary hassle if you can scrape points from somewhere else like experience.

I'm not disagreeing here but I'd just like to see for myself where the price of skilled migration is listed! So if any1 could link I'd be grateful.
    The last time I had a look is was around 3000 for the first year which was considered provisional and then after 12 months a further 4000 odd was required to be granted the permanent visa. There is the possibility I was reading it completely wrong but I looked at it a few times. More so regional migration, cause it would be easier for me to get provided I had a job offer! But I was also under the impression that was the same sort of figures I just mentioned for the skilled migration visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I'm not disagreeing here but I'd just like to see for myself where the price of skilled migration is listed! So if any1 could link I'd be grateful.
    The last time I had a look is was around 3000 for the first year which was considered provisional and then after 12 months a further 4000 odd was required to be granted the permanent visa. There is the possibility I was reading it completely wrong but I looked at it a few times. More so regional migration, cause it would be easier for me to get provided I had a job offer! But I was also under the impression that was the same sort of figures I just mentioned for the skilled migration visa!

175 & 176 Visas here. $2960

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm

The 2nd Installment is only for dependents who have less than functional English. ie for most concerned here can ignored.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm

The 2nd Installment is only for dependents who have less than functional English. ie for most concerned here can ignored.

Nice 1. Different page to the 1 I looked at so hopefully it didn't say that on the 1 I was looking at! Otherwise I'm an idiot! :)

CiaranC wrote: »

Many employers of WHV workers border on exploitative, particularly in areas where competition for work among WHVers is high (e.g. the places youll actually want to live). In hospitality below minimum wage, off the books payments are rife. As are zero hour, cancelling/changing shifts often on the same day, lack of proper contracts and even withholding of pay for petty reasons. Quality of housing is also often poor and very expensive to go with the low wages, and many struggle.

It anyone takes up a job where they agree to off the books payment or below minimum wage they only have themselves to blame if they get ripped off.

If looking for hospitality work I'd advise people to work in hotels. Especially the larger ones. From what I'm told they nearly always go through the books and as hotels are so bloody bureaucratic and structured they'll do things legit.

For example working in a hotel will get you superannuation, 25% extra on a Saturday's, 50% on Sundays and even the fabled double time on public holidays. Which made last Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday pretty sweet for me.. :)

But in stand alone restaurants what Ciaran said is fairly common from what I've heard. Restaurants love paying staff cash so they can save on Super and if said employee turns out to be no good they can get rid of them fairly easy.

ok so im thinking now save myself the 4 odd grand and just get sponsored, think the application will cost me about 1k altogether (I think?) and when i land i walk into a job and at the same time I'm not tied to them if I dont like it or it dosent work out...

so say it didnt work out I have 28 days to get a new sponsor, is this timeframe possible? does it all have to be sorted in 28 days or while it be ok from the day the employer regstered interest to take me and sponsor me?

If i am there 4 years would I apply and automatically get PR then or is there loops to jump through for it also?

ok so im thinking now save myself the 4 odd grand and just get sponsored, think the application will cost me about 1k altogether (I think?) and when i land i walk into a job and at the same time I'm not tied to them if I dont like it or it dosent work out...

so say it didnt work out I have 28 days to get a new sponsor, is this timeframe possible? does it all have to be sorted in 28 days or while it be ok from the day the employer regstered interest to take me and sponsor me?

If i am there 4 years would I apply and automatically get PR then or is there loops to jump through for it also?

There's no such thing as Automatic PR.

There are many different PR visa's that require different criteria but you need to meet the minimum criteria. There no direct link between a Work Permit type visa and PR.

• Advertisement

Well of course it's possible! But depending on what field you work in and the demand in the area!

I belive once the paperwork is being processed bridging visas are available in certain situations!

Oh and an employer should pay for a sponsorship visa!

filled in my details on a visa companies website couple days ago and they got back to me today, they went through all the requirements for getting a skilled visa but wouldnt tell me how much they would charge for getting me the visa :confused:

So just wondering did you all use these companies or is the process easy enough to do yourself through the OZ immi.gov site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I can only guess what site you filled out, but usually those 'find out here in 2mins if you can get a visa' sites are way over priced.

Also you have told us nothing about what you are looking for ...

Have a read up on the sticky migration thread, only go through an agent if you have to, if you are qualified it's easy enough to do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Interesting article on rental prices in Perth, will give folk something to consider -

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/average-perth-rent-climbs-to-420-a-week/story-e6frg2ru-1226324792921
    Average Perth rent climbs to $420 a week

PERTH renters are paying 10 per cent more than this time last year, according to the latest housing data, as the rental market is tipped to balance out for the remainder of this year.

The price hike comes as the state’s metropolitan vacancy rate hit 1.6 per cent during February and March but ended at 1.9 per cent for the March quarter, according to preliminary data by the Real Estate Institute of WA.

In the first quarter of 2012 the median rent for a house was up by $5 a week to $420, while a unit, villa or townhouse had jumped by $20 a week to $400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jaysis, its like a modern day gold rush except with plumbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

CiaranC wrote: »
    Jaysis, its like a modern day gold rush except with plumbers
    Just like a gold rush. Loads of people arrive expecting to make a fortune but it never happens.

You got to be lucky especially if you have no skills.

On the other hand if your profession is in demand, for example i know a company looking for engineering surveyors who would fly you out tomorrow, accommodate you and pay you 130K for working 3:1.

Plenty of dreamers and that's about it.

When you are looking for an employer sponsorship is there a goood site to use are is there a better way of doing this?

Ive just been using Seek.com and sending CV to employers maybe this is the only way?

Also how is the interview process done is it by skype or telephone usually?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

I'm in Melbourne at the moment with the girlfriend and we love it. Amazing city, always something happening! All last month was the food and wine festival, and all this month is the comedy festival.. Add to this all the sport which is on and the great nightlife and you really have an awesome place to live!

Work wise the money is good but it all depends on the field your in, your experience, qualifications, work ethic, resoursefulness and whether you get luckly. I'm in hospitality (finished college last may) and me and the girlfriend actually earn more then everyone in the restaurant bar the head chef!

All the poor Aussie bastards are on salary while we are on casual Pay. So when ya do 50 hour weeks ya rake in the $$$.

What exactly are you doing in hospitality mark?
    Are you managing to save or just getting by?
    Are you and your girlfriend renting a room or apartment or what way are yous doing it? Im not travelling til next year but trying to figure it all out now so any advice would appreciated :)

• Advertisement

What exactly are you doing in hospitality mark?
    Are you managing to save or just getting by?
    Are you and your girlfriend renting a room or apartment or what way are yous doing it? Im not travelling til next year but trying to figure it all out now so any advice would appreciated :)

Me and the missus are supervisors (Me in the restaurant and her in the bar) in the Olsen hotel. We've been very lucky in that we are paid by the hour, rather then salary. This means, as we've made ourselves pretty much indispensable to this restaurant we each have been given plenty of hours (45-50 per week) and as such we both actually earn really good money for two people who are on a Working Holiday Visa.

What profession are you in back home? Its important to realise that although some people come to Oz and land on their feet there are plenty of other people who find the going tough. Don't come here expecting the land of milk and honey!

Anyway, when you get to Melbourne I recommend ya give Jackson apartments a buzz. We are staying in one of their apartments. They're pretty good in that that don't ask for any bond (Security deposit - some landlords will ask for 4 weeks up front) and they only ask for one weeks rent in advance. There is no contract and if you want to leave you only have to give one weeks notice and you get your deposit back. Highly recommended!

http://jacksonapartments.com.au/

Advertisement