Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows things going in OZ nowadays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Hey mark,
    Gonna bend your ear a bit if u don't mind. Heading over to Melbourne to work in a months time, myself and my fiancé. What kinda clothes should we be packing? I'm aiming to be working in an office when I get out. He'll be working in a garage fixing cars. We've already looked into Jackson apartments so hopefully they'll have availability when we land. I presume summery clothes are fine and a few pairs of jeans and a jumper or two for the chilly nites in Melbourne. Will we need to be buying duvets when we get out or is it mild enough for a sheet and blanket? Haven't a clue really. Dreading leaving my Cat boots and uggs at home but I presuming we won't be needing them. Any advice? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

minsbarron wrote: »
    Hey mark,
    Gonna bend your ear a bit if u don't mind. Heading over to Melbourne to work in a months time, myself and my fiancé. What kinda clothes should we be packing? I'm aiming to be working in an office when I get out. He'll be working in a garage fixing cars. We've already looked into Jackson apartments so hopefully they'll have availability when we land. I presume summery clothes are fine and a few pairs of jeans and a jumper or two for the chilly nites in Melbourne. Will we need to be buying duvets when we get out or is it mild enough for a sheet and blanket? Haven't a clue really. Dreading leaving my Cat boots and uggs at home but I presuming we won't be needing them. Any advice? Cheers.

melbourne can be cold with plenty rain during the winter,not like in ireland where we have snow and ice but it can be cold grey and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Yep, for Melbourne during winter you'd definitely need jumpers, coats, scarves etc. If you look at the average temps it doesn't look that cold - at least not as cold as an Irish winter - as it can be 14 or 15 during the day but when the wind chill from the south westerlies that blow through are taken into account, it can get pretty damned chilly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

minsbarron wrote: »
    Hey mark,

If you are planning on coming to Melbourne during the winter bring your boots..and your coat! It gets cold, wet and the wind will cut right through you! I know my missus wished she brought her boots.. (I didn't forget mine though :D)

You shouldn't need to be buying duvets though! I can't speak for other landlords but Jackson provide, duvets, heaters etc. One thing you should keep in mind though, I heard Jackson's studio apartments are pretty **** so if you can try - get a look at the two bedroom apartments - they're decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If you are planning on coming to Melbourne during the winter bring your boots..and your coat! It gets cold, wet and the wind will cut right through you! I know my missus wished she brought her boots.. (I didn't forget mine though :D)

Same, we're in Sydney so it's not as cold but the weather is starting to turn now and herself is going bananas she didn't bring her boots or uggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I've even seen lads wearing ugg boots over here. With there jeans tucked into them.......!?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hey been in Melbourne 4 months and its getting brrrrrr!! I love my uggs having had them on yet but I know I sure will..

Heading up to darwin end of July to do our Regional work, want to travel up the east coast or even some of it for 3/4 weeks beforehand.. anyone any tips on where to see? and also should we book into a tour or just go it alone and get a car or else fly... ahhh i need to start organising?? How much money we talking 3/4k ??

Any help be greatly appreciated??

Thanks

Michelle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

NoelAPM wrote: »
    I've even seen lads wearing ugg boots over here. With there jeans tucked into them.......!?

Whereas at home they are purely aimed at women I'm fairly sure over this side of the world they originated as a unisex kind of thing. I could be completely wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Rule of thumb on SOL and 457: If you have enough experience and qualifications to be able to get and hold a well paid job back home now, you may be able to get a 457 here. Australia certainly isn't the land of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

ok folks started the application process today, going to try the process myself through the OZ immigration website, im going to apply for a skilled indepentant visa just want the freedom to work for who i please and come and go as i please also

Has anyone applied through the OZ immigration site looking a skilled indepentant as oppose to using an agent? Have got as far as having to get my skills assessed and am looking into that now, if anyone can give me any pointers on this that would be great

Gonna head for Perth to begin with as will have couple mates there and set up and all so all good there, beauty with the indepentant visa if i dont like perth i could just jump ship and head anywhere and not be under pressuire to get a sponser again asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

Me and the missus are supervisors (Me in the restaurant and her in the bar) in the Olsen hotel. We've been very lucky in that we are paid by the hour, rather then salary. This means, as we've made ourselves pretty much indispensable to this restaurant we each have been given plenty of hours (45-50 per week) and as such we both actually earn really good money for two people who are on a Working Holiday Visa.

What profession are you in back home? Its important to realise that although some people come to Oz and land on their feet there are plenty of other people who find the going tough. Don't come here expecting the land of milk and honey!

Anyway, when you get to Melbourne I recommend ya give Jackson apartments a buzz. We are staying in one of their apartments. They're pretty good in that that don't ask for any bond (Security deposit - some landlords will ask for 4 weeks up front) and they only ask for one weeks rent in advance. There is no contract and if you want to leave you only have to give one weeks notice and you get your deposit back. Highly recommended!

http://jacksonapartments.com.au/

Thanks for that Mark!
    Did i ask you already i cant remember but have yous done your farming yet? and where did yas do it??
    I am a receptionist in a hotel so i reckon ill get a job handy enough will i?? my boyfriend is a sheet metal fabricator do you know anything about that in terms of jobs?? we just got our visas there last week :)

Thanks for that Mark!
    Did i ask you already i cant remember but have yous done your farming yet? and where did yas do it??
    I am a receptionist in a hotel so i reckon ill get a job handy enough will i?? my boyfriend is a sheet metal fabricator do you know anything about that in terms of jobs?? we just got our visas there last week :)

No we're heading over the Perth in two weeks and then down to the Margaret River. This is a huge wine region and as its currently pruning season jobs should be plentiful!

Yeh as a receptionist you should find work plentiful! Really good hotels in Melbourne you'd wanna look into would be The Olsen, The Blackman and the Cullen. These are all part of the 'Art Series' group and are really cool and funky (they try to be anyway!0. Nothing worse then a boring bland hotel with robotic staff ye know?

Oh and if you can be guaranteed 40 hours but be deemed 'casual' make sure you take it! It means you get 25% extra on Saturday, 50% on Sundays and bank holidays.

Don't know anything about sheet fabricators though, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭betting fool

What is the jobs market in oz(mainly Sydney) like at the moment for office based jobs. I'm working in insurance in Ireland the last 5 years so something along those lines or customer service is what I'm after,

I will be on a whv if that's an issue,

I'm also thinking of doing my 3 months regional once I arrive so I can work for an employer for 12 months, 6 on each visa.

Is the jobs market for this employment still strong at the moment or starting to look slow for people on a whv??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

why isn't Germany in this list??

where we are now over in East Germany, I see lot's more happiness and a quality of life far better than I ever had in the UK or Ireland.... the cost of living is so cheap.. I mean really cheap... :D

Oh... and blazing hot sunshine ;-).. it touched 39 deg c last year..

The World Happiness Report, released at a United Nations conference, places Australia in ninth position, with
    Denmark topping the list, followed by
    Finland,
    Norway,
    The Netherlands,
    Canada,
    Switzerland,
    Sweden,
    New Zealand,
    Australia
    and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Ireland isnt doom and gloom at all!,far from it but the media does portray it that way so its understandable to think that.

odd.. most people I know in Ireland constantly moan about the state of the country, the ever increasing bills, tax takes, regulations, businesses failing crap weather, etc...

only a public sector worker that has been retired off with a big payout and then immediately returns to the same job can say this!

What is the jobs market in oz(mainly Sydney) like at the moment for office based jobs. I'm working in insurance in Ireland the last 5 years so something along those lines or customer service is what I'm after,

I will be on a whv if that's an issue,

I'm also thinking of doing my 3 months regional once I arrive so I can work for an employer for 12 months, 6 on each visa.

Is the jobs market for this employment still strong at the moment or starting to look slow for people on a whv??

What do you mean about 6 on each visa? You can't work for the same employer for 12 months on a WHV

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭betting fool

What do you mean about 6 on each visa? You can't work for the same employer for 12 months on a WHV

Ye can, if you do the region work and get your second whv then you can work for 6 months on each visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

CamperMan wrote: »
    odd.. most people I know in Ireland constantly moan about the state of the country, the ever increasing bills, tax takes, regulations, businesses failing crap weather, etc...

only a public sector worker that has been retired off with a big payout and then immediately returns to the same job can say this!

People choose to constantly f**king moan about stuff in Ireland. I choose not to. We have this defeatist moaning attitude in Ireland, and that's one of the main problems here.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭kermit_the_dog

hi there

was half thinking of making a short ( month ) trip to oz and NZ towards the end of the year , was over there in 1998 , back then it took a few weeks to get a visa , how long does it take now

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thomas Foy

I got my WHV in about 20 minutes or less true the Austraillian Embassay website :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hmmm, looks like this thread has died. How's it going over there now?

Any sign of a slow down in the economy or the bubble bursting? :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

el diablo wrote: »
    Hmmm, looks like this thread has died. How's it going over there now?

Any sign of a slow down in the economy or the bubble bursting? :)

Yeah dont know is it a slow down or just a over supply of people coming over all looking for the same job, but things aren't all to green over here.

There just seems to be so many people looking for basic non-skilled labouring jobs that employers now can pay labourers $18-20 a hour and if you dont like it theres plenty of people who could replace you. I know plenty of fellas here in Perth who take home about $650 a week, and cant leave it cause they know that theres so many people here looking for a job and cant find one.

My advice to anyone thinking of coming over is dont expect to get a job for 4-6 weeks and bring plenty of money, dont just bring $2-3k cause between rent and food it wont be long going. Also I would suggest to get out of the city as quick as you can and get farming work, not only will it give you a Australian refrence but its a great chance to work long hours and save plenty of dollars without paying rent/food etc..

But on a bigger scale I wouldn't be shocked if the whole mining boom went tits up, hearing a few "stories", weather they be true or not of China having massive stock piles of iron ore(Just google China stockpiling iron ore) at ports across China that they cant get rid of. Also the fact that many areas of Africa are now being mined for iron ore, this cant be good for WA. Its actually scary how many jobs you see advertised for senior mining positions in Africa..

Thats my 50cents..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

Thats a brillant post as it speaks the truth from what I'm hearing off friends out there. I'm heading out in the new year but hope to head out to the farms first. Is there much work in the farms? What are the things to look out for as I'm hearing bad things on some farms .

Would there be work for my other half on the farms ?

I drive artic trucks here part time at the moment , what do I have todo to be able to get my licence over there?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

rightyabe wrote: »
    But on a bigger scale I wouldn't be shocked if the whole mining boom went tits up, hearing a few "stories", weather they be true or not of China having massive stock piles of iron ore(Just google China stockpiling iron ore) at ports across China that they cant get rid of. Also the fact that many areas of Africa are now being mined for iron ore, this cant be good for WA. Its actually scary how many jobs you see advertised for senior mining positions in Africa..

Thats my 50cents..

While i agree with everything and im sure the gravy train will derail at some stage (as with every boom you have a bust, Ireland's construction industry being a case in point) can i just point out that there is more than just Iron Ore being exported, with Aluminium, Urainium, Coal, Natural Gas, Petroleum, Gold, Silver, Nickle, Copper, Diamonds, Opel being mined as well as the exploration both on and offshore going on, so the mining sector is not all that one dimensional. But as a saying i heard a good while ago now goes, If China sneezes Australia will get the Cold, as in they slow we are shagged.

But if im talking honestly i think Australia needs a bit of a re-adjustment anyway, prices for most things are aimed at people earning crazy money and not the average worker, i would truly hate to be earning min-wage there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

rightyabe wrote: »
    There just seems to be so many people looking for basic non-skilled labouring jobs that employers now can pay labourers $18-20 a hour and if you dont like it theres plenty of people who could replace you. I know plenty of fellas here in Perth who take home about $650 a week, and cant leave it cause they know that theres so many people here looking for a job and cant find one.

+1, Bang on the money with that one, anyone can swing a shovel, and there would be plenty people doing a shoddy course and working far more than their 20 allowed hours or Visa over stayers earning less than $650.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would concur.

A lot of Jobs are being lost in Victoria from Primary employers like Ford etc.

This loss of primary employers have to have an blow on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

+1
    Construction in QLD has taken a bit of a slow-down too, Not scary or overly gloomy, but competition has increased for projects as they are fewer in number.
    Many of the larger infrastructure projects that have had the place booming over the last few years are finishing up, and the ones that are ongoing aren't leading on to as many new projects. The coal mines are still pushing ahead with a few big projects, but less than previously, and again, more contractors and companies vying for the same projects.
    Campbell Newman has been making some difficult cuts to try and bring the state back out of deficit. This will probably affect Aussie more in the initial run, as they will be civil service jobs to get axed, but ultimately those people will have to find work elsewhere which will tighten the job market overall in the coming 12 months.
    Its not all rosy by any means.
    The retail sector is having a shoddy time of it too, so there are less back-up positions out there for temp and holiday work.

I think its ultimately going to reduce the demand for employees (outside of the usual high-skilled shortage areas) and this in turn will have a knock on effect on immigration policy (if its forecast to last beyond a single financial year, Immi may reduce the number of WHV's given out, or revise the SQL/SOL lists)
    Its hard to tell which way the Federal government will play it, but I don't expect Julia to last forever in her current job. If Labor go, then anything can happen really. Especially in the wage agreements.

Jesus, $18/$20 an hour? That's pretty crap.. Can anyone save money or have fun in Oz if they're stuck on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

The Aussie wrote: »
    While i agree with everything and im sure the gravy train will derail at some stage (as with every boom you have a bust, Ireland's construction industry being a case in point) can i just point out that there is more than just Iron Ore being exported, with Aluminium, Urainium, Coal, Natural Gas, Petroleum, Gold, Silver, Nickle, Copper, Diamonds, Opel being mined as well as the exploration both on and offshore going on, so the mining sector is not all that one dimensional. But as a saying i heard a good while ago now goes, If China sneezes Australia will get the Cold, as in they slow we are shagged.

But if im talking honestly i think Australia needs a bit of a re-adjustment anyway, prices for most things are aimed at people earning crazy money and not the average worker, i would truly hate to be earning min-wage there at the moment.

Yeah that is true, I meant to say Western Australia relies on iron ore a lot, as of 2011 46% of all australian exports came out of WA, and half of that 46% is Iron ore. So basically 23% of the total Australian exports is iron ore solely from WA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

The Aussie wrote: »

Current affairs on ABC tonight talking about China on the slowdown, Chinese banks over stretched on loans, building apartments people can't afford etc.
    Looks like China is on the edge of it.
    Not looking forward to when this ship sails

Advertisement