Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hows things going in OZ nowadays

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Jesus, $18/$20 an hour? That's pretty crap.. Can anyone save money or have fun in Oz if they're stuck on that?

No on that sort of money you will be close to living paycheck to paycheck.

My advice to anyone coming over, get a HR truck license and get into road construction. I can nearly pick and choose my jobs atm in Perth. How its not on the skills shortage list is beyond me, and even saying that it's a situation Downers are pushing the WA government to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

My advice to anyone coming over, get a HR truck license and get into road construction. I can nearly pick and choose my jobs atm in Perth. How its not on the skills shortage list is beyond me, and even saying that it's a situation Downers are pushing the WA government to change.
    I presume you mean do your HR license in Perth; don't you have to do the test in WA even if you have the Irish version: unlike the car license, truck licenses aren't immediately transferable although I read on another thread that the test was a breeze for anyone already driving trucks in Ireland.

RE: China, I believe they've committed to another round of structural building, crazy considering the pile up of stock already. But theirs is a command economy and if they say it is to be so, then it is to be so.

Just saw this: BHP profit slumps by more than a third. http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/14634411/bhp-profit-slumps-by-more-than-a-third/ That's big news.

Well I got mine in Darwin, where things like that are hell of a lot easier to do than in WA, I had the Irish version but they would only transfer the car, so I did the free theory test a 8 out of 10 questions job, which your aloud to do once a day. Then my boss put me in contact with a tester who observed my driving and signed off on the cert for me. It was one of the best moves i made getting that licence.

Well I got mine in Darwin, where things like that are hell of a lot easier to do than in WA, I had the Irish version but they would only transfer the car, so I did the free theory test a 8 out of 10 questions job, which your aloud to do once a day. Then my boss put me in contact with a tester who observed my driving and signed off on the cert for me. It was one of the best moves i made getting that licence.
    Sweet! I'd been thinking about doing a rigid license, the amount of jobs for it is huge. Only for driving being a big part of my last job I'm glad to have a break from the wheel.

It's not a golden ticket, but it will give you a massive 1up over your normal Joe Soap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Looks like China is on the edge of it.
    Not looking forward to when this ship sails

Seems its like the Titanic, the rich and well connected are the first to flee with many planning the escape route already, i dont think it will only be Australia that is going to be Goosed when it goes pear shaped for the Chinese, i fear the most of the Western World will feel the pain on this one.

"fears that China's decade-long economic boom may be losing steam and it is perhaps not surprising that China's rich are on the run. The EB-5 data is not the only evidence. A survey last year of almost 1,000 Chinese dollar millionaires found 60% considering moving overseas."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18966261

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Jesus, $18/$20 an hour? That's pretty crap.. Can anyone save money or have fun in Oz if they're stuck on that?

No on that sort of money you will be close to living paycheck to paycheck.

The clue is in the word skilled. If every every skill could be taught as easily and quickly as a HR licence then there wouldn't be a skills shortage.

Have you seen some of the so called skilled jobs on that shortage list?

I never said HR drivers where I shortage, is said road construction was. Asphalt and bitumen workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I wonder will Australia go into a fully fledged recession like back home? And when will it happen, they were pretty accurate at guessing our recession start time. Im sh!ting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Plug wrote: »
    I wonder will Australia go into a fully fledged recession like back home? And when will it happen, they were pretty accurate at guessing our recession start time. Im sh!ting it now.

No, Australian banks are worth more than Europes banks combined.

Australia's budget is almost in surplus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

old_aussie wrote: »

With the Fees and Chargers they slip into everything, the exorbitant Interest rates, the recent job cuts in their 1000's, they would want to be in a better condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

All of europe banks together?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Er..I flew up to my work in a mine in WA today and just got word that all 40+ construction workers will be finishing up on friday, 1 day into a 4:1 roster.

The project is only half finished..

We were told anyone with a HR licence and/or excavator ticket could get other work(4 or 5 positions) on the same mine..guess what about 30 workers have both a HR and excavator ticket and all the others have 1 or the other. 40 into 5 doesn't go...

So back to the job hunting I go:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

catbear wrote: »

Just saw this: BHP profit slumps by more than a third. http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/14634411/bhp-profit-slumps-by-more-than-a-third/ That's big news.

Resource Minster Martin Ferguson announced today that the resources boom is officially over.

Ireland had been running a surplus too. There are plenty of stories in the media about people dipping into their supers to keep up with their mortgages repayments, plus the banks have been reluctant to add their repo property unto the market while demand is falling. While the world still thinks Aus is still AAA the banks will be able to cover their shortfalls; that could change quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

That is seriously scary.

Macrobusiness have a good piece:
    At this stage, the Treasury has forecast only a gradual unwinding of the terms-of-trade. However, with China slowing faster than expected – reflected by sharp falls in steel, iron ore and coal prices – there is the clear and present danger that the gradual unwinding of the terms-of-trade (as forecast by the Treasury) could turn into a much moire swift fall, resulting in: heavily reduced income growth; cancelled mining investments; significant job losses; reductions in government revenues; slower economic growth; and falling asset prices.
    http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2012/08/mckinsey-australia-vulnerable-beyond-the-boom/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Private sector finances are another story. Consistent trade deficit for decades,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

Sorry,
    You clearly dont work in finance or have a clue about what you are talking about. Aussie banks wouldn't even register on the major European Banking markets in assets held or wealth generated on a long term basis. Do you suddenly think Aus will overtake London as the finance capital of the world?

Australian banks mean nothing to the worlds financial markets, they dont even register.

Do out the figures for the Irish banks during our boom and tell us what the figures were.

Also the headline
    FOR the first time in history the value of Australian banks are now worth more than the Eurozone.

What type of bull is this, were in a bad state if Germany is worth only 7 billion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement