Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Lee crack at a world title belt

• 03-04-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Andy Lee will get a crack at one of the world title belts (WBC version) on June 16th.

He will fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr in El Paso. Not an easy fight to start with and given that he is fighting a Mexican fighter in El Paso I think it is safe to say a points win simply won't happen.

The odds are really against Andy in this one (regardless of location) as Chavez Jnr will be the heavy favourite going into it, but would it not really be something if he were to spark Chavez Jnr and be able to stroll up O'Connell street with the belt on his shoulder?

Andy Lee. World Champion. Has a nice ring to it alright.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Would be epic alright but as you said it will be a tough fight. I imagine El Paso is a tough setting aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

*grumble* not boxing forum *grumble* wont get into it...*grumble* andy lee

:P

Na fair play to the lad. Everything is stacked against him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Chavez junior is nowhere near the boxer his father was, but my concern is that he tends to get stronger as a fight goes on, and I've seen Lee tire later in fights once or twice.

I'd agree that there is no hope of winning a decision there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

osarusan wrote: »
    Chavez junior is nowhere near the boxer his father was, but my concern is that he tends to get stronger as a fight goes on, and I've seen Lee tire later in fights once or twice.

I'd agree that there is no hope of winning a decision there.

He is certainly not a patch on what his father was, and never will be, but he is a very good inside fighter and his body punching will cause Lee problems. As you rightly mentioned his stamina is excellent whereas it is one of Lee's flaws, so the longer the fight goes or the faster the pace is, the more it suits Chavez jnr. Plus Chavez jnr is pretty decent in a tear up as well. Another factor is that Chavez jnr is a big middleweight who can match Andy in terms of height, reach, and most likely body strength, and has way more ring experience than Andy as well.

Would give Andy Lee about a 20% chance of getting a win, but a 20% chance of winning a world title is better than a 100% chance of beating ham and eggers over and over for years.

Andy needs to land big, land flush, and hope that it is enough to put Chavez jnr down and keep him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Would be great if he could win. Boxing has kinda gone out of the limelight here since Bernard Dunne retired. Would be fantastic to boost interest in the sport again before the lads head over to London to claim a few medals. :)

• Advertisement

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic, I just thought I would use the same one again.

Just a reminder to folk that the fight happens tonight/tomorrow morning.

Seems to be very little locally about the fact that he is fighting for a world title, and although he is a massive underdog in this bout, he still has an outside chance of being a world champion when most on here wake up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

What time is that on Kess?

ronanc15 wrote: »
    What time is that on Kess?

22:00 Texas time is when the fighters are expected in the ring, so about 04:00 Sunday morning over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Coverage starts on Box nation at 2am

kilburn wrote: »
    Coverage starts on Box nation at 2am

The HBO ppv coverage starts two hours before that again for anyone watching it there. Think I will be waiting until closer to the actual main event before watching on Boxnation though. Nowt on the undercard that I really want to see.

• Advertisement

The lack of coverage of this in the media is really disappointing. I've only heard it mentioned in passing on one news bulletin during the week.

Are Sky showing it or is it stream only?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The lack of coverage of this in the media is really disappointing. I've only heard it mentioned in passing on one news bulletin during the week.

Are Sky showing it or is it stream only?

If you have Sky then you should be able to watch it on Boxnation.

The lack of coverage is a joke though, especially here at local level. We have a guy with a Limerick connection who is fighting for a world title and very little has been made of it. But if he wins just watch the rush to get pictures taken with him or to get him onto the radio station and what not.

Andy has been a fantastic ambassador for Limerick and never fails to big the place up no matter where he is, yet here we are on the eve of the biggest fight of his career and there is feck all about him over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Completely forgot this fight was on tbh.
    no media coverage at all. Probably more to do with the current state of boxing than anything else

Felexicon wrote: »
    Completely forgot this fight was on tbh.
    no media coverage at all. Probably more to do with the current state of boxing than anything else

If it was some Z list no mark local "celebrity" doing something in a shopping centre or a local club you can bet that the local radio and the "local" papers would be all over it as if it was something amazing, but the city/county has a guy who is happy and proud to say he is from Limerick fighting for a real world title and we see very little in the local rags or on the local radio by way of a build up to the event.

The lack of local media interest is an utter joke imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulmcn888

WE have two preview pieces here on our website, including an interview with John Duddy, the last Irishman to fight Chavez jr. Totally agree though, it's a disgrace that RTÉ or even Setanta didn't get this fight.

http://grannykiller.com/2012/06/15/gk-on-the-ropes/

http://grannykiller.com/2012/06/15/this-is-your-chance-andy/

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

What time is it on at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

if you read the thread 4am

paulmcn888 wrote: »
    WE have two preview pieces here on our website, including an interview with John Duddy, the last Irishman to fight Chavez jr. Totally agree though, it's a disgrace that RTÉ or even Setanta didn't get this fight.

http://grannykiller.com/2012/06/15/gk-on-the-ropes/

http://grannykiller.com/2012/06/15/this-is-your-chance-andy/

And you would be Mr P McNulty that writes for the Mail? Fair play on putting up a few pieces on the fight. That's more than I have seen elsewhere.

Just had a look through the site and had my question answered. :D Interesting little site, and one that I have bookmarked to read through in more detail later on.

They're about to do a piece on the fight on Newstalk in about a minute. John Duddy will be contributing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

dont have a subscription to boxnation can anyone PM with a link for the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mc Love wrote: »
    dont have a subscription to boxnation can anyone PM with a link for the match?

PM Sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Chavez retains title, stops Andy Lee in seventh. :(

What a shame. Became very one sided once Chavez knew he was able to take Andy's best shot, but no shortage of courage from Andy last night. Plenty of grit from him against a bigger and much stronger man.

Have to say that Chavez lost a hell of a lot of face in my eyes though. First there was his refusal to have his gloves weighed before the fight, and then his refusal to give a urine sample before the fight.

What next for Andy Lee though? As already said he showed plenty of heart but he ended up being badly outclassed. Maybe he should try to move up to super middleweight and see if the extra 8lbs makes a difference to his power and stamina as he has the frame to carry that extra weight with ease, and making middleweight might have been leaving him a tad drained.

Still, there was no shame in his loss last night. He chased his dream and went out on his shield. How many of us get to say that in life?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Kess73 wrote: »
    If it was some Z list no mark local "celebrity" doing something in a shopping centre or a local club you can bet that the local radio and the "local" papers would be all over it as if it was something amazing, but the city/county has a guy who is happy and proud to say he is from Limerick fighting for a real world title and we see very little in the local rags or on the local radio by way of a build up to the event.

The lack of local media interest is an utter joke imho.

It wouldnt surprise me if he was British in the papers during the week after the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Melion wrote: »
    It wouldnt surprise me if he was British in the papers during the week after the loss.

considering he is english and not at all FROM limerick

jez anytime someone has a link to limerick everyone gets behind them in this town. Andys success is not the success of the city. if he won last night none of us would be world champions just so ye know. as for local media you can see that they dont report REAL news that well so im not suprised that they didnt pick up on yet another failure from "young" andy. and before the "support your own" crowd pipe in. i do support my own. but andy who is not from the city(but lives in the county) is not our own

if andy was born in Pozna would you all be as quick to pretend he is irish just because he was kinda successful. its like Egan. everyone loved him in ireland until he was a coward and noshowed a fight. then there is mr bang bang traveller man who everyone loves to say he promotes the city.

so give it a rest. im delighted that the media doesnt live up to the hype and pretend someone is from limerick

Icky Thump wrote: »
    considering he is english and not at all FROM limerick

jez anytime someone has a link to limerick everyone gets behind them in this town. Andys success is not the success of the city. if he won last night none of us would be world champions just so ye know. as for local media you can see that they dont report REAL news that well so im not suprised that they didnt pick up on yet another failure from "young" andy. and before the "support your own" crowd pipe in. i do support my own. but andy who is not from the city(but lives in the county) is not our own

if andy was born in Pozna would you all be as quick to pretend he is irish just because he was kinda successful. its like Egan. everyone loved him in ireland until he was a coward and noshowed a fight. then there is mr bang bang traveller man who everyone loves to say he promotes the city.

you know why travellers are boxers??? they are trained from kids when they go around robbing. yea gret promoters of the city they make

so give it a rest. im delighted that the media doesnt live up to the hype and pretend someone is from limerick

Andy Lee regards himself as a Limerick man and has never said otherwise right from the early stages of his amatuer career to now. He is also an Irish citizen with an Irish passport but maybe that counts for nowt here in Limerick.

Lovely comments there about travellers as well, nice way to tar all of them with the one brush by saying they are all robbers when young.

Hope you don't shout for the Irish soccer team as there are many non Irish on that team, or that you don't shout for Munster as there are foreigners on that team as well.

From what I can read you don't want to back Andy Lee because he is not "one of your own" as he was born elsewhere, but you don't want to back Willie Casey, a man who was born in Limerick making him one of your own, because he has a traveller background.

Guess the goal posts can change to suit who is seen as one of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Andy Lee regards himself as a Limerick man and has never said otherwise right from the early stages of his amatuer career to now. He is also an Irish citizen with an Irish passport but maybe that counts for nowt here in Limerick.

Lovely comments there about travellers as well, nice way to tar all of them with the one brush by saying they are all robbers when young.

Hope you don't shout for the Irish soccer team as there are many non Irish on that team, or that you don't shout for Munster as there are foreigners on that team as well.

From what I can read you don't want to back Andy Lee because he is not "one of your own" as he was born elsewhere, but you don't want to back Willie Casey, a man who was born in Limerick making him one of your own, because he has a traveller background.

Guess the goal posts can change to suit who is seen as one of your own.

andy considers himself a limerick man........................ the kid didnt come here until he was in his teens and then left a couple of years later to go training. he isnt a limerick man. he is of limerick background but thats all.

my point is jumping pon the bandwagon pretending its great for the city and all this stuff is rubbish. its nothing to do with the city. celebrate him as an irish boxer if youdf like but to think its great for the city is seriously deluded

as for the irish team im not saying anything like that. im as far from being xenophobic as anyone can get. as i said above "if he was born in Poznan you people wouldnt be as quick to get behind him" even if he was in limerick since he was a teen.

as for the travellers i think ill leave that one alone. i did bring it up and i stand by what i said. i would have agreed about tarnishing with the same brush awhile back but then i decided to think.

as for the whole "one of your own" i mentioned that because thats the usual crap responce you get here. "support one of your own" yea youd think im slagging off limerick or rapping a dog or something. its not about supporting one of your own is what im saying. support the guy as an irish boxer because fair play to the lad but all this "great for the city" stuff is getting as boring as the "its worth 10 million to the city" crap

Icky Thump wrote: »
    andy considers himself a limerick man........................ the kid didnt come here until he was in his teens and then left a couple of years later to go training. he isnt a limerick man. he is of limerick background but thats all.

my point is jumping pon the bandwagon pretending its great for the city and all this stuff is rubbish. its nothing to do with the city. celebrate him as an irish boxer if youdf like but to think its great for the city is seriously deluded

as for the irish team im not saying anything like that. im as far from being xenophobic as anyone can get. as i said above "if he was born in Poznan you people wouldnt be as quick to get behind him" even if he was in limerick since he was a teen.

as for the travellers i think ill leave that one alone. i did bring it up and i stand by what i said. i would have agreed about tarnishing with the same brush awhile back but then i decided to think.

as for the whole "one of your own" i mentioned that because thats the usual crap responce you get here. "support one of your own" yea youd think im slagging off limerick or rapping a dog or something. its not about supporting one of your own is what im saying. support the guy as an irish boxer because fair play to the lad but all this "great for the city" stuff is getting as boring as the "its worth 10 million to the city" crap

I said that Andy is a great ambassador for Limerick, and that he is very good at mentioning Limerick in an articulate fashion in most of his interviews. He tends to do this because he regards Limerick as home and is proud to be associated with Limerick. I see no negatives for Limerick, city or county, in him doing this.

He has been a good lad in terms of being very giving with his time to young local boxers, and he is quite a low key and modest fella. Given that he regards Limerick as home, both of his parents are Irish and live in Limerick , plus two of his brothers have come through the ranks in a Limerick boxing club (along with Andy using the same club when he came to Limerick) , I don't think it was too much to hope that some of the Limerick media would reported on the fact that he had a crack at the world title.

I see nothing wrong with hoping that a sportsperson who came through the amatuer ranks in Limerick, who went on to represent Ireland whilst he was still living in Limerick, and who them went into the professional ranks whilst maintaining a strong Limerick connection would get a decent amount of local media coverage in the build up to the biggest moment in his career to date.

As for jumping on a bandwagon, well if you want to check back on some of my posts going back over close to five years on Boards you will see that I have jumped on no Andy Lee Bandwagon of late. I know the lad to a degree and I also know Willie Casey through boxing circles, and Andy Lee has sparred with me in Germany, where I used to live, some years back when he used to train there with the Klitschko brothers. Funnily enough there was another Limerick boxer, Limerick born and bred, that I sparred with over there at that time as well, and he was a regular sparring partner to some pretty good fighters and was involved in the coaching side of things with a few American fighters but that is a story for another time.

What exactly makes a person a Limerick man btw? Andy Lee despite being an Irish citizen is not one in your eyes. I know from experience that I have been called a scouse c*** (which came with a dose of irony or utter stupidity as it was said in a thick Limerick accent by a guy wearing an Everton top):D and an english b*****d in Limerick due to my accent despite the fact that I was actually born here in Limerick. So being born in Limerick does not seem to make a person a Limerick man either. :)

So to be a real Limerick person does one have to be born in Limerick and pretty much never leave the place? Seems to me that kind of logic just leads to very insular lines of thinking and possibly cross eyed children at some point in the future.:p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He must have got his irish passport recently because up until 2009 he travelled to American on a british one.

Advertisement