Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough owel

Options
  • 03-04-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Anyone fished it since season started my mates are there bout once a week only takin bout 3 fish obviously catching more but said it was brilliant fishing using tazmanian devils but in past week or so they have caught 2 fish and only two fish I know it was stocked with good load of trout but is it fished out I'm headin down for first day out on Friday ive never blanked on good Friday but is it fished out
    Heard last year two lads where caught with over 70 fish in their boat the day after they stocked it
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

70 fish???? shouldve been jailed!!!!
    havent fished it in yrs to be honest, midlandangling.com sometimes has reports on it, maybe check it out there?

i heard it "was" fishing well 2 weeks ago but havent heard anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

bayliner wrote: »
    70 fish???? shouldve been jailed!!!!
    havent fished it in yrs to be honest, midlandangling.com sometimes has reports on it, maybe check it out there?

i heard it "was" fishing well 2 weeks ago but havent heard anything since
    As far as I know something was done the garda did come down and rods etc were taking from them
    Two lads from Ukraine as far as I know
    Thanks again il have look now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Anyone fished it since season started my mates are there bout once a week only takin bout 3 fish obviously catching more but said it was brilliant fishing using tazmanian devils but in past week or so they have caught 2 fish and only two fish I know it was stocked with good load of trout but is it fished out I'm headin down for first day out on Friday ive never blanked on good Friday but is it fished out
    Heard last year two lads where caught with over 70 fish in their boat the day after they stocked it
    Thanks

The fish might not be feeding. No way would a lake that size be fished out. 70 fish in a 2.5k acre lake is like a drop in the ocean. However, its still a terrible act, delighted they were caught. any idea was their boat taken off them? as far as I know, it can be confiscated. We need to publicise incidents of poachers being caught. may make them think twice.

70 fish may seem like a lot, but that just 23 anglers taking their daily bag limit for one day.

Thanks

The fish might not be feeding. No way would a lake that size be fished out. 70 fish in a 2.5k acre lake is like a drop in the ocean. However, its still a terrible act, delighted they were caught. any idea was their boat taken off them? as far as I know, it can be confiscated. We need to publicise incidents of poachers being caught. may make them think twice.

70 fish may seem like a lot, but that just 23 anglers taking their daily bag limit for one day.
    They were using a rented boat off the lake
    I know it may seem a drop in the ocean but 70 fish like that's a good season of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

how did the fishing go.

• Advertisement

natdog wrote: »
    how did the fishing go.
    Well I won the competition I was in with a browny of 1lb15.5 oz unfortunately I got it in my first cast got got nothin for rest of day lost one
    But there was good head of fish altogether and good day for all there was 9 fish caught on the boat I was on some lads had 15 others in the 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oneshotpaddy

not to sure about owel it's being three weeks since i've being on it fished good then but lough lene in collinstown is fishing very well and is not far from mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭irishbucka

does anybody know if you can fish lough owel using worms as bait? if not is there any lake near that you can worm fish? i have been told by some people you can worm fish it and by others that you cant. call me lazy but im just not into fly fishing

irishbucka wrote: »
    does anybody know if you can fish lough owel using worms as bait? if not is there any lake near that you can worm fish? i have been told by some people you can worm fish it and by others that you cant. call me lazy but im just not into fly fishing
    I was told no bait at all as I wanted to spin some minnow and couldn't but if ya don't like fly fishing best method is spinning or trollin a tazmanian devil that's what's best there

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭irishbucka

I was told no bait at all as I wanted to spin some minnow and couldn't but if ya don't like fly fishing best method is spinning or trollin a tazmanian devil that's what's best there

thanks dodder angler. i was talking to a fella from the inland fisheries on the phone and he told me ya could use worms but looking at the website it says all legal methods but it says nothing about worms which i would count as legal. he said there was a problem using chandlers {maggots} alright. i might ring lough owel angling centre and see what they say.
    is there anywhere in the dublin area you can trout fish or rainbow trout using worms. i have a 6 year old who loves it and want to keep him into it

• Advertisement

irishbucka wrote: »

thanks dodder angler. i was talking to a fella from the inland fisheries on the phone and he told me ya could use worms but looking at the website it says all legal methods but it says nothing about worms which i would count as legal. he said there was a problem using chandlers {maggots} alright. i might ring lough owel angling centre and see what they say.
    is there anywhere in the dublin area you can trout fish or rainbow trout using worms. i have a 6 year old who loves it and want to keep him into it
    The dodder is great for trollin a worm down fast movin water now garden worms!
    I hate seein people usin maggots ground baitin the river then catching small trout and they swallow hook right down and die its really annoying but sure a garden worm would be best anyway more attracting to hungry trout and maybe the young lad will get a stocky and he'll be hooked for life then
    Blessington lake is good usin maggots (white maggots only) got some great roach and perch over the years up there and my mate has gotten small jack pike on em aswell
    Best of luck mate

Advertisement