Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: New build, no bios, cpu fan not working correctly

Options
  • 04-04-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Just helped a friend put a pc together. The power starts up and all the fans that are connected to the psu start.
    The keyboard and mouse are also showing activity with lights. Gpu fan is spinning too.

We are not seeing anything on the screen and the cpu fan is spinning for a second then stopping and repeating this every few seconds.

Tried reseating the ram and disconnecting/reconnecting the connections.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Update: seems the fan is messed up as we plugged in the fan from the cpu cooler that came with the cpu and it spun correctly

Still not posting though which is a bigger worry

Nevermind, we seem to have gotten it working(dont ask me how as I dont know :D)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Connavar wrote: »
    Nevermind, we seem to have gotten it working(dont ask me how as I dont know :D)

I like to think I know what I am doing and still don't think I have ever had a build where I hit the power button and it worked first time. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I am not a builder (yet) but these are the things that come to mind...

- Mobo
    - Power supply
    - graphics card/ Display
    -other

Are any of these known good? (ie work separately on other systems)

RAM of the correct type & in correct mobo slots?

Does your mobo support video? If so, get rid of the graphics card & see if that helps..

Remove any cards in the PCI/PCIe slots

remove everything from SATA connections except for the boot drive...

Use a multimeter to check the 3.3, 5. 12, & -12 rails, also power ext hard drives etc.

Good luck...

Somehow I managed it with my first build, but I have a feeling that that was a once off :P

Can you think of any reason we might have overlooked as to why the cpu fan isnt running properly, before we go and get another one. Plugged it out and back in and got the same problem

EDIT: Its a Thermalright HR-02 Macho cpu cooler that we are using if that makes any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If it's 3-pin, have you got an adapter and tried molex? (or visa versa)
    If it's 3-pin, have you tried a different header on the motherboard?

That's about all you can do really. It'll either be the fan, that single header, or something on the board screwing with all the fan headers (unlikely).

Serephucus wrote: »
    If it's 3-pin, have you got an adapter and tried molex? (or visa versa)
    If it's 3-pin, have you tried a different header on the motherboard?

That's about all you can do really. It'll either be the fan, that single header, or something on the board screwing with all the fan headers (unlikely).
    I'm at work now so will have to wait till later to check it, but I'm pretty sure that its a 4 pin annoyingly enough.
    Will try that if its a three pin though, thanks.

Well the same thing applies. You can still stick a 4-pin in a 3-pin socket (it'll just run at 12V the whole time) or you might have a motherboard with more than one PWM header. You can also connect to molex, but again, 12V all the time.

Thanks again for the help, the problem was solved. Turned out that the part of the fan that spins wasn't sitting correctly on the part that spins it hence why it was working for a second every now and then

One more question. The metal part that secures the fan in place to the cpu cooler is in contact with the heat sinks on the ram. It this ok?

As long as it's not forcing anything to bend or get pushed or whatever in a way it shouldn't, it should be fine. If it's touching the RAM module itself though (vs. the heatsink) it might cause a short. You'd have noticed this right away though if it was going to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement