Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOBBY?????

Options
  • 04-04-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Me and my girlfriend are due a baby in a few days and we want to call him bobby. Does he have to be christened Robert or can he be christened Bobby????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

jason2501 wrote: »
    Me and my girlfriend are due a baby in a few days and we want to call him bobby. Does he have to be christened Robert or can he be christened Bobby????

Well if you're going to call him Robert and use the name Bobby then he would be christened as Robert, but if you are going to put Bobby on the birthcert then he'll be Christened Bobby! It's not like the olden days were saints names were used mostly. Cute name! Good luck with the birth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

That will come down to your priest to some degree...there are still many who won't give a child what they see as a nickname - them not me :) if your local priest refused you could look into an alternative priest for your christening.
    However, what you put on their birthcert (the legal most important document) is entirelly up to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Should be whatever you want, my cousins were called Eddie and Robbie, and thats what is on their birthcerts aswell instead of Edward and Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

If i have a boy im gonna christened him Robert but we'll call him bobby. Yep is is a really cute name :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

When you say 'christened', do you mean just the church ceremony or do you mean what will be on the birth cert?

My opinion would be to put 'Robert' on the birth cert and call him Bobby. That way, as an adult, he can choose to be called Rob or Robert if he thinks it's more grown-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

we'll be sticking with bobby then. Thanks for the replies, I meant what name would have to be put on the birth cert rather than the christening part, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

If you had been christened Jace or jay instead of Jason, would you be pleased?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

You can put whatever name you choose to call the baby on the birthcert with the spelling you will use. If you want to call him Bobby and are not going to call him Robert then for the sake of passports and booking flights i'd stick with the name you want to call him.. might seem a pretty lame reason but many a €100 was spent changing a name on a ticket :D
    It's not a nickname until it's a shortened version of what his name is.. If his name is Bobby on the birthcert then his name is Bobby ;) lovely name

Advertisement