Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unresponsive

• 04-04-2012 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

My dog has never been the untra obedient dog, but up till 1-2 weeks ago she was fine come more less as you called and all other tricks were done quickly. Recently she has be come awful. If I call her she finishes what she's doing weather it be sniffing around the garden or what ever and that could take upto a minute. Doing the paw command and she will just sit/lie down and just stare I have to raise my voice and say it 4 5 times before she does it. Any ideas to regain some obedience? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Hire a dog behaviourist/obedience trainer.

Ignore anything involving the words "pack" or "dominate/dominance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How old is your dog? They can go through a "teenage" phase where they really test your patience!

I'd suggest you go back to training with high value treats. Make everything really really fun again and make sure she can see that doing it is worth her while. Like when you call her don't just use her name, make it all excited - oh my god you have to get in here now you're missing all the fun - type of thing. Then make a big fuss and treat her. When you have her doing it for a treat every single time you can start to phase it out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Amazing the way threads get brought off onto another topic:cool:.

In answer to your original question, as was already mentioned, I'd go back to starting to train her again. Probably just needs reminding of what your asking her to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭E.B

Ive never given up on training which worries me. Its part of her walk, we walk do 5-10 mins of reinforcing to finish. To answer a reply earlier shes coming up on 2

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

hi op having same experience with my own dog, he excelled in training classes, was great at home then suddenly decided all this obediance wasn't for him! Kept up the training with him, with extra high value rewards given for focusing on me. Past few months have been frustrating to say the least but seem to have made a breakthrough recently so hopefully was just teenage angst!:)Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement