Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeater, Range Extender etc

Options
  • 04-04-2012 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

First off, [rant] routers have been around of years, why haven't they been able to make one that will reach all areas in a standard/large size house [rant over]

I have Eircom BB and the wifi from the router wont reach most areas up stairs. Running a long Ethernet cable or moving the phone line unfortunately isn't an option.

I've spend the last two hours reading old posts but i'm none the wiser as to what is the easiest option, i'm think of buying a LINKSYS WRT54GS with DD-WRT firmware (Maybe this one???) The problem is i understand i will lost 50% of my connection speed and i dont really want that.

My other option is to buy those Powerline Ethernet Plugs and have a router sitting up stairs. I have an old 3com router or i could get another Eircom router, but not being tech minded, i know i will spend days trying to get the settings all correct.

So what i'm really asking is what is the easiest way around this problem, is there anything i can really just "plug-in & go", idiot proof??
    I dont mind spending a bit of money if it means the problem will be fixed for good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jasper1

Senna,
    I suggest you look at a pair of HomePlugAV devices and use them to extend your broadband within your house using your electricity wiring. No need to do any new wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Nets & Comms as this is a networking issue, not a Broadband issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

jasper1 wrote: »
    Senna,
    I suggest you look at a pair of HomePlugAV devices and use them to extend your broadband within your house using your electricity wiring. No need to do any new wiring.

I will probably go down this route, but i just know i'll spend hours on getting the setting right on the new router and finally feck it into a corner for a month.

Advertisement