Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity in Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I think it's important to encourage both team and individual sports. I can fully see how people would enjoy the fun of being part of a team, but as someone with little natural sporting talent, I never found competitive team sports fun at all. However, I'm quite happy to go run, swim or cycle on my own. It's about having something for everyone, though I totally take the point that you need the numbers for a lot of activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'd agree with others re the BMI measurement. It is a very poor way of measuring whether people are unfit/overweight or not. I also hate the way people use the term 'fattie'. Why is there a need to say that?
    I think the media have to take a share of the blame. There is too much of an emphasis on size rather than fitness. The Bomber Liston and Jimmy Keaveny would have been considered overweight if you used BMI measurements yet they were fit sportspeople. The emphasis should be on whether you are doing an exercise activity every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd agree with others re the BMI measurement.
    Not in terms of a whole country.
    If a country has a high average BMI, then its very likely to reflect BF% levels and fitness levels.
    Individual athletes could easily be fit, yet have an overweight BMI. But those peopel are the minority and aren't going to affect the average BMI a whole lot.

Advertisement