Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westgate House Michael Street Limerick

• 04-04-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey there.. anyone ever lived in or know anyone who has lived in Westgate house down Michael street, limerick. Its directly across from the granary. Im moving to limerick and dont know the area at all. I viewed an apartment in Westgate house yeaterday which was lovely but I have some concerns.
    1) The building wasnt well maintained, graffiti outside, dirty floors lift and communal area inside.
    2) Is this a rough/ bad area? There seems to be an estate behind that may be of concern.
    Apartment itself was great but I hope to know is it sfae to walk back here at night alone as a girl?

Thanks for any help!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

I can see those flats from my office window and would not live there. The area can become "interesting" in the evenings and Michael Street has nothing on it open after dark. I would not walk up and down Michael Street after dark. I'm only in the area weekdays and office hours, so maybe someone who knows it outside those times would be able to give you more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I can see those flats from my office window and would not live there. The area can become "interesting" in the evenings and Michael Street has nothing on it open after dark. I would not walk up and down Michael Street after dark. I'm only in the area weekdays and office hours, so maybe someone who knows it outside those times would be able to give you more info.

I'd agree with this. I walk up there the odd evening coming from a clients office and it's dodgy enough. Almost any monday morning I've passed there has been broken car glass on the street.

There was also a report on the front of the Leader last year about fighting, vandalism etc in the area and of gangs of teenagers gathering in the graveyard at the back of those flats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There was also a shooting and a very serious assualt on the street in recent years if memory serves correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yck10ytu

good to know.. be great to hear a few more opinions about that apartment block..
    Seems almost everywhere in the city center either is a dodgy area or backs onto a dodgy area.. makes it difficult to find a place to live :(.. Thanks very much for ye're perspectives.. keep 'em coming!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I lived there in a top floor apartment when I first moved to Limerick, this was back in 1996, so it was a long time ago! In general it was fine. Once our car was broken into in the car park in the back. A real problem was idiots having great fun ringing the bell at 3am in the morning for a laugh on the way home from the night clubs. Apart from that we enjoyed our time. A great location in terms of convienence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I really wouldn't move into that area to be honest for all of the above reasons. What other locations are you looking at? Not all of limerick city is bad, you will generally get fairly good advice on this forum if you want to run other locations by us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Its not a great area but if you look at the Limerick Post there is loads of places advertising in there for places to rent or I just had a quick look on www.daft.ie & there was loads of places to rent in it.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Had a flat there as recently as 2010, the flat was fine, big for the money (500 euro) was first floor apartment.

It got VERY cold during the winter, so cold that it was painful! Car was also broken into in the "secure" car park.

All in all I would not recommend living there for the cold alone.

Advertisement