Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AM Radios- Is it all FM in Ireland now

Options
  • 04-04-2012 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have been looking at buying a traditional radio with a direct line-in to iPod/iPhone. However the supplier is in the US and they supply mostly AM radios. Just checking if here in Ireland we can get our stations through AM or is it all stations such as RTE, 2FM, local stations, are all through FM

Is there any option available to me on this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

AM sound quality is awful. Its so out of date technology wise.

Don't think there are many stations still transmitting in AM these days anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

All us cool kids are into DAB now.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think RTE Radio One is the only station on AM, or is it MW i'm not sure. I never listen to the radio apart from sports coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE radio 1 is on LW (which Americans haven't heard of) not MW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sparky100 wrote: »
    I have been looking at buying a traditional radio with a direct line-in to iPod/iPhone. However the supplier is in the US and they supply mostly AM radios. Just checking if here in Ireland we can get our stations through AM or is it all stations such as RTE, 2FM, local stations, are all through FM

Is there any option available to me on this? Thanks

AM was a horrifically poor means of radio transmission, I could never stand it, the far superior FM is around since the 1940s (1966 in Ireland), I'd say the last time I listened to am was the John Peel show in the 1980s because I'd no way of getting it on FM, why would you want to listen to am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Internet radio is where it's at tbh.

I bought an internet radio, able listen to radio stations from anywhere in the world, all free (Once you have broadband).

Just started to use my free trial with the Last.fm function on this radio, brilliant. Your very own private radio station honed to the artists you like. Just started using it but so far I can have it strictly only the artists I have entered in or a slightly more open approach with artists I like and similar artists suggested by last.fm, which you can "Love" or "Ban" with buttons on the radio.

Advertisement