Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB Broadband vs Ordinary Broadband

Options
  • 04-04-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,

Was thinking of getting broadband at home for my parents. I'm a bit confused about this Next Generation Broadband.

What is the difference, if any, between NGB and just ordinary broadband? There seems to be the same speeds available for each, or am I wrong?

Are they different products/packages or is it just in name only?

Cheers,

Conor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi folks,

Was thinking of getting broadband at home for my parents. I'm a bit confused about this Next Generation Broadband.

What is the difference, if any, between NGB and just ordinary broadband? There seems to be the same speeds available for each, or am I wrong?

Are they different products/packages or is it just in name only?

Cheers,

Conor.

Hi Conor,

Thanks for your query on Next Generation Broadband (NGB). A full definition of this can be found on our website :

www.ngb.ie

*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free automatic upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) where your local exchange has already been upgraded by eircom eingineers.

Standard Adsl broadband does not offer the same uncongested broadband connection and is sold as a different product to NGB. ADSL standard broadband is rate adaptive based technology. This means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange. Upgrading to NGB won't necessarily change the distance /or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. It will however provide for uncongested broadaband even at busy times of the day or night.

In ordindary terms what this means : If your broadband connnects at, say, 5MB, then your broadband will stay at 5Mb. Where as, Standard Adsl broadband may vary speed, especially during busy peak periods.

If you need further clarification on NGB, please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 4 conorcosgrove

thanks, that explains it

Advertisement