Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat getting neutered

• 04-04-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi all. so my cat is at the vet atm and will be getting neutered later today. is there anything i could do for him when i collect him later, what should i expect?? i feel a bit bad leaving him down there, he looked terrified in his carrier:( .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I remember how scary that is! Just be there for him, spoil him a little. He might be slightly disorientated but he will come around. I had some of his favourite treats ready for my cat and plenty of spoiling. He will be fine tomorrow. They bounce back so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

john 08 wrote: »
    what should i expect??.
    Castration is a very straightforward operation and as said above they are back to themselves in no time. Generally with males theres no stitches visible so a cone isnt necessary. He might be a bit groggy or out of sorts but should be fine in a day or so. If he's still out of sorts after 48hrs call your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

We had our two boys done together a while back. When they came back from the vet they were quite groggy and unsteady on their feet. I had a fire on and fire guard up and one of the cats sat right up against the fire guard, head against it eyes closed. I put a blanket down in front of the fire and set him on it, but nope, up again right up against it! The other lay in his bed with a warm water bottle underneath his blanket. They were back to themselves pretty quickly though, as anniehoo said its a pretty straightforward operation.

Oh and they had a bit of an 'accident' also while in their carrier so there was a slight smell until they felt up to cleaning themselves up properly :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My cat's at the vet having the same thing today (as is my dog, being spayed). I'm planning on putting the dog in her crate on their return, and the cat can stay in his (large) travelling box for the rest of the day, and overnight, with a couple of litter tray outings. Might pop a hot water bottle in there under his blanket. From past experience he'll be a bit out of it for the rest of the day, and more or less back to normal tomorrow. The dog will take longer!

Update: both home, both fine. Noel the cat seems a bit annoyed (wouldn't you be?), but is alert and looking for a way out of his box. Missy the dog has gone to (my) bed, ignoring her lovingly prepared crate with a duvet in it. I may have to buy a new duvet (for me) tomorrow, but if that's where she's happy, that's fine with me. No painkillers for Noel, just for Missy for the next 2 days. Neither have lampshades on their heads, so I'll have to keep an eye on them and make sure they're not nibbling stitches. I'm now pouring a large vodka in order to get over the stress of it all!

Hope your cat's neutering went as well as mine, John :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i remember when two of mine came back there were lots of funny moments as the kitties tried to do normal kitty things but still a bit drunk from anesthetic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Cat castrations really are straightforward and they usually bounce back in no time. The anaesthetic takes more out of them. He'l act drunk when he comes home and if anything like mine will try to act normal (mine jumped on the couch and made an attempt to walk along the back of the couch like she normally would, and tried to jump up to the windowsill) but just will stumble all over the place. And she went through phases, she'd lie down for 10 mins then nothing would do her til she could stumble to the other side of the room. Best thing is to keep him confined either to a carrier or a small room where there is nothing for him to jump up on. Mine took about 24 hours to fully recover from the anaesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

hes just after arriving home and hes flying it. no change in him what so ever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sburke

Just remember that male cats who are neutered are always a bit "Tim, nice but Dim" after! One of ours, Muggins, I'm convinced, has ADD since he was "done". One minute he's all over me and the next it's "who the hell are you and what did you do with my staff"!

Advertisement