Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of air these days!

Options
  • 04-04-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

there i was with a slightly soft tyre this morning and decided to pull into the Esso garage on the way out of the town..... Noticed they had a new fancy high tech air dispenser with digital display no less :)... I select the pressure i want and away i go... or so i think.... there's no bloody air coming out of the pump!..
    on closer inspection i see a sign saying its a euro for five minutes air!... A disgrace I say as i drive off in a huff!!

They've lost a future customer here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

And look at what they are charging for Petrol and Diesel too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I would be inclined to agree. Fuel costs are crazy and now another charge! I have not used Esso recently.
    On the other hand if it ensures a reliable air point then it may be worth it. In many garages the air hoses are damaged and unreliable. They are seldom replaced in the cradles and show signs of careless use. In forcing customers to pay perhaps it will result in greater care of the facilities.
    (I noticed the new facility in the Centra is/was damaged already. That facility had a coin slot and the coin was returned after use - like a supermarket trolley)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I've been living in Kilcoole for 15 years and never once went to the Esso garage. They charge what they want for fuel basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I've been living in Kilcoole for 15 years and never once went to the Esso garage. They charge what they want for fuel basically.

Likwise lived in Greystones all my life and have only bought fuel there a handful of times when I was stuck. Amazes me to see people fill up there all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

On the way to work one day, stopped at an Esso,needed air in one of my tyres, discovered you had to pay, went in to get change, only to be told..... it doesnt switch on till 9am!!!!! I was speechless :eek: never heard anything like it. Poor assistant was soo apologetic, said she gets grieve over it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

The air works like a trolley in a shop you put in a coin then pull out the airline ,when you are finished you put back the airline and get your coin back it is that simple:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Swanner wrote: »
    Likwise lived in Greystones all my life and have only bought fuel there a handful of times when I was stuck. Amazes me to see people fill up there all the time.

the other garage in Greystones is the same price, as are most of the stations in Bray, & last I checked the garages in Kilcoole and Newcastle were only 1c cheaper.

I'm sure you can fill up cheaper elsewhere but you have to go quite a bit out of your way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

bido wrote: »
    The air works like a trolley in a shop you put in a coin then pull out the airline ,when you are finished you put back the airline and get your coin back it is that simple:rolleyes:
    If you read the first post it clearly says there is now a charge for air in the esso. You're not getting your coin back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What kind of air is it? I'd gladly pay for Perri-air to pump up my tyres - Good pure air that is.

Perri-air - what movie was it in?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

astrofluff wrote: »
    Perri-air - what movie was it in?!

Spaceballs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

loyatemu wrote: »
    the other garage in Greystones is the same price, as are most of the stations in Bray, & last I checked the garages in Kilcoole and Newcastle were only 1c cheaper.

I'm sure you can fill up cheaper elsewhere but you have to go quite a bit out of your way to do it.
    I dont agree, the Esso is always several cents above the average. I wouldn't fill up in Kilcoole either, another rip off. Newcastle, depending on what day you go can be up to 5 cents cheaper. Not suitable for people that dont pass it, but I make the effort to throw my business their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Swanner wrote: »

Read this thread and you might start using the Esso (or maxol) garage as well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056596848
    I have a customer working in Customs testing diesel and petrol.

They test the diesel to find washed diesel, just for lost revenue purposes.

They also test the petrol for revenue purposes.

They have found Methanol as a diluent in the petrol but I do not know to what percentage, all over the country in practically every garage with the exception of large maxol's and esso's.

A quick google tells me it is used in race engines as an additive.

But I cannot find any good data on any long term issues on a petrol engine of this practice.

Can anyone shed any light on possible damage.
    Rubber hose damage springs to mind but over what period of time would this be an issue given that ethanol is used as an additive anyway.

Customs and Revenues only concern is lost revenue and these will be court cases/fines in the near future.
    They do not consider any damage to cars as relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I can see now why they are charging for the air.
    From the posts, it seems that many like me do not buy fuel there but avail of the free services. Next they will charge for the water!

On fuel prices I heard an interview on radio today saying that filling stations make a pittance on fuel. It is well known that the bulk ( ~60%) of the charge is due to taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Years ago when I lived in England they tried this out in my local petrol station and there was a 'boycot campaign' organised by the local paper, most locals observed the boycot, and after a few months we got our free air back at the station. Can't remember if it was BP, Esso, Texaco, or Total . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Read this thread and you might start using the Esso (or maxol) garage as well.

I had been following that thread. Scary stuff. I tend to use the Esso in Shankill so all good on that front.

Bottom line is that until people vote with their feet people we will continue to get ripped off.

Advertisement