Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub Pre-out Issues

• 04-04-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Right, I just got my first sub, yay! The thing won't work. It's a Tannoy SFX Sub (Has an LFE line level input) and a Pioneer VSX Receiver.

Basically the things I've tried:

- Setting all speakers to SMALL, SW to ON - All X-Over freq settings.
    - Turning on SW and trying test tones at all volumes.
    - All possible combinations on the Sub itself to get volume up.
    - Checking the line input on the sub, definitely live.
    - Checking the RCA cables.
    - LFE settings are correct, DRC is correct, receiver setting should be correct
    - Full reset of the Receiver

On searching and scouring the web - everything points to my own stupidity here, and some glaring issue with the settings or plugging the sub into the Input instead of Outputs.

However having never used a sub with the system before, I'm fearing that it could be the sub preout is bust or there's something else I need to do...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

could you post picture of connections on the sub it would help, but having reads about your sub it seems you can connect phono outs to it, or speaker outs either ,so did you try any of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

It's an RCA/Phono lead coming from the SUBWOOFER PREOUT: http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/pioneer_vsx_1018txh_rear_inputs_1.jpg

There's no speaker level outs for the sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

With my wharfedale sub the manual shows that you can run cables from the amps binding posts to the sub and the speakers as you are not really driving the subwoofer, it has its own amp. Not sure if that is the case with yours.

Saying that, if you have a dedicated low level input most manufacturers would probably prefer you used it/them.

Is the crossover freq turned up too high and vol down too low? It could be some setting on the receiver turning off the sub output or setting its level too low??

BigEejit wrote: »
    With my wharfedale sub the manual shows that you can run cables from the amps binding posts to the sub and the speakers as you are not really driving the subwoofer, it has its own amp. Not sure if that is the case with yours.

Saying that, if you have a dedicated low level input most manufacturers would probably prefer you used it/them.

Is the crossover freq turned up too high and vol down too low? It could be some setting on the receiver turning off the sub output or setting its level too low??

The Sub definitely supports Line, and the AMP should only be wired using line level. The sub is loud when tested with other phonos :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It could also be that the source isn't being detected properly by the amplifier. Can you switch between the various surround types on the amp e.g. Stereo, DTS, Dolby etc. ? For example if you have a CD Player connected with Phono connections the amp may just see it as a Stereo input and switch to 2.0 mode without the SubWoofer or surround speakers ?

Have you tried any true surround sources like a Blu-Ray player, PS3 or any HDMI source ? I doubt there's anything wrong with your amplifier, more likely a configuration problem.

I'm guessing you have the on screen menus from the amp on your TV ? You mentioned inputs/outputs, the Sub should be connected to the SubWoofer Output on the Pre Out panel just above the speaker posts.

Ken

• Advertisement

I've exhausted nearly every avenue at this stage, and am set now on just selling it as-is, ready to be repaired, still a bloody fantastic 7.0 system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Silly question :) Have you tried the Troubleshooting guide re Subwoofer on page 71 of the User Manual ?

Apologies if you've already tried this. It's a very nice amplifier with extensive support for iPhone/iPad configuration. I'd be really surprised if there's a problem with the amp though unless you've been really very unfortunate and got a dud one !

What type of cable are you using to connect the sub to the amp ?

Ken

Edit: There's a firmware update available for it on the Pioneer Website, might be of some use ?

Advertisement