Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are my chances for custody????

Options
  • 04-04-2012 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What are my chances of the custody to be obtained, considered that i have a steady job,my house, a normal family environment around me, she doesn't not work,she has a history of mental illness in the family,all of the children from that family are highly depressed and confused, what is the proof that she can not provide a normal environment our child to grow up normally
    can i get a custody?,i will be more then happy to let the mother of our child to be with our kid 24/7 but not around them,i just want the best for my kid :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

If you are not married to the mother of your child then first step is to get joint guardianship. This can be very simple if she agrees both of you need to sign a form and get it signed by a commissioner of oaths (iirc). If she does not agree then you can apply to the courts to get joint guardianship.

Do you currently have joint custody with her? What amount of access do you have to the child? From what I have heard it is very unusual for a father to be awarded sole custody of a child unless the mother is an unfit parent. If you want to get sole custody then you will have to prove this in court.

To be honest I would look into getting a solicitor if I were you. This could be a very long and expensive road you are heading down and looking for sole custody I would want legal representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Does she have a history of mental illness personally? Just becuase her family have issues doesn't mean shes an unfit mother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Go to a solicitor with the facts.
    Do not belittle her or put her down but do lay things down as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

It is possible but you would have to be in a position to prove that she is unfit to parent. The report HERE found that, out of 87 cases, in 6 cases, it was agreed that the children would reside primarily with their fathers. The reasons given are on page 63. "In Cases 63 and 77, the sons resided with their fathers since, in both instances, the mothers have mental health problems and limited access to their children".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wuvvles

i was wondering the same thing.i was with my parter for 10 ten years and we have an 8 year old together and own our own home.we separated 4 years ago as he got a good friend of mine pregnant. he hasbeen with her since .there was a lot of trouble between me and over what happened. and we have been at each otthers throats ever since. they have a 3 year old son. but he wants to come home to us but is afraid to leave his son there as they fight all the time and the little boy is afraid of everything even loud noises because of enviroment he lives in. we want to get back together but the girlfriend warns if he ever came back to us shewould never let him see his son. i have a good management job and own my home and havea great life here with my child and i would be more than willing to take on his son as well.what are the chances of us getting custody for 3 days a week. we are concerned because she will bring up all the fighting that happened between me and her. but at the time it was understandable that i would hate her. she slept with my fiance. any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

wuvvles wrote: »
    i was wondering the same thing.i was with my parter for 10 ten years and we have an 8 year old together and own our own home.we separated 4 years ago as he got a good friend of mine pregnant. he hasbeen with her since .there was a lot of trouble between me and over what happened. and we have been at each otthers throats ever since. they have a 3 year old son. but he wants to come home to us but is afraid to leave his son there as they fight all the time and the little boy is afraid of everything even loud noises because of enviroment he lives in. we want to get back together but the girlfriend warns if he ever came back to us shewould never let him see his son. i have a good management job and own my home and havea great life here with my child and i would be more than willing to take on his son as well.what are the chances of us getting custody for 3 days a week. we are concerned because she will bring up all the fighting that happened between me and her. but at the time it was understandable that i would hate her. she slept with my fiance. any advice would be greatly appreciated

sorry for dragging this OT but how dare you even suggest that you get anothers womans baby just because your husband couldnt keep it in his trousers, the child may be frightened of loud noises and shouting but i highly doubt she is having arguments with herself your "husband" is just as much to blame, and what court in its right mind would take a child away from his mother to go live with his cheating father, get real. So what if you own a house and have a good job its not your child and you are nothing to do with him....if your husband goes back to you (more fool you a leopard doesnt change his spots) the it is up to him to apply for access along with paying maintenance and you have no right to go anywhere near any visits he may have with his son NONE

damo130 What are my chances of the custody to be obtained, considered that i have a steady job,my house, a normal family environment around me, she doesn't not work,she has a history of mental illness in the family,all of the children from that family are highly depressed and confused, what is the proof that she can not provide a normal environment our child to grow up normally
    can i get a custody?,i will be more then happy to let the mother of our child to be with our kid 24/7 but not around them,i just want the best for my kid

Op a court always prefers a child to stay with its mother thats just how it is unless she is abusing him or as others have posted has server mental health issues I highly doubt you will gain custody, as said go to a solicitor but dont run her or her family down it doesnt look well on you, you need to sit down and come to some agreement about custody/visitation and maintenance children dont pay for themselves :)
    Realistically joint custody is the best you can hope for, as do you really think it is right for your child not to see his mum, just like its not right for him not to see his dad....so many more problems will occur if you are both bickering with each other rather than really doing what is best for your son, which is both his parents in his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

duplicate entry

Advertisement