Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduate Diploma in Information Technology - Any reviews?

• 04-04-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

As per title, I am wondering if anyone has completed or is currently undertaking the Graduate Diploma in Information Technology in DCU?:

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=GDF&originating_school=40

I am considering starting the full-time course for the 2012/2013 academic year.

Any comments would be appreciated...e.g Positive/Negative points about the course/college, jobs prospects upon completion etc.

Note: I know there is a post-graduate forum; I just thought I may get some better answers in here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I completed this course part time in 2006. Its not bad. Its a good all round course. I was a business graduate and had very little programming experience when I started the course. A lot of the material we covered was very outdated so you should be doing your own programming on the side. The java we covered is very old fashioned. You need to keep up to speed with current developments and not rely on this course to get you started in software devlopment in the workplace. During the first semester in year one I found the maths part a little difficult but nothiing to get to concerned about. Try and make sure you keep up to date at all times with what is covered and perhaps stay ahead of what the lecturer covers. If you fall behind you will have a lot of catching up to do. I had to attend 2 evenings a week apart tie from 6.30pm until 9.30 pm. I am not sure how the full time course is scheduled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Thanks billyhead.

The modules covered is probably the major concern I have about the course. As you said, the IT industry is moving at a faster pace than most and I don't like the idea of committing one year to a course where most of the content will be outdated by the time I finish...

Out of interest, what was your next step when you finished the course? Did you go on to a masters or go straight into employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

DRose1 wrote: »
    Thanks billyhead.

The modules covered is probably the major concern I have about the course. As you said, the IT industry is moving at a faster pace than most and I don't like the idea of committing one year to a course where most of the content will be outdated by the time I finish...

Out of interest, what was your next step when you finished the course? Did you go on to a masters or go straight into employment?

I was already in employment working in IT and did it part time

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Just wondering if you had any more feedback about this course as I am thinking of doing it. I have a background as a QS but have since started my own business which now has an online shop that I would like to be able to control more of. Also looking to the future and the possibility of working in IT in the next few years. I think this course would suit but just looking for general advice/feedback. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Just got accepted for this. Anyone else starting this Sept?

• Advertisement
Advertisement