Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma TV knocking off broadband

Options
  • 04-04-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I moved house a couple of week ago, and since then I've had problems with m TV knocking out my Internet connection.

The TV is an LG plasma. Every time the TV is turned on, the "Internet" light on the modem goes red, the DSL light then flashes rapidly and the Internet comes back on for a few minutes, then drops again and the cycle is repeated, until the TV is turned off.

Old House
    In the old house, the eircom modem was situated in the same room as the TV, about 3 foot away from it. The phone line which connected to the modem then ran away in the opposite direction to the TV. There were never any connection problems.

New House
    In the new house, the modem was initially situated right next to the TV, which was positioned up against the wall of the living room which backs on to the main hall way. The phoneline enters the house just on the other side of the wall and there is a phone port in the wall behind the TV. The phoneline then runs, inside the wall, around the living room and into a seperate study room at the back of the house, where there's another port.

When I noticed the problems with the internet I thought it was because of interference with the modem being too close to the TV, so I moved the modem into the study room (so it is now further away from the TV than it was when it was working fine in the old house), but the problem still occurs.

As the difference now between the set up in the old and new houses is that the phone line runs closer to the TV, it appears the problem is interference from the TV with the line and not with the modem.

The only other difference is that the TV service in the old house was standard definition Sky and in the new house is HD Sky. Don't see that making a difference though.

Anyone have any solutions or ideas for reducing the interference or protecting the phone line? I'm a bit limited in terms of just moving the TV somewhere else where it's not impacting the phone line, as wiring has been buried in the walls for surround sound speaks, ethernet cabling and the phone line etc and can't be changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Branoic wrote: »
    I moved house a couple of week ago, and since then I've had problems with m TV knocking out my Internet connection.

The TV is an LG plasma. Every time the TV is turned on, the "Internet" light on the modem goes red, the DSL light then flashes rapidly and the Internet comes back on for a few minutes, then drops again and the cycle is repeated, until the TV is turned off.

Old House
    In the old house, the eircom modem was situated in the same room as the TV, about 3 foot away from it. The phone line which connected to the modem then ran away in the opposite direction to the TV. There were never any connection problems.

New House
    In the new house, the modem was initially situated right next to the TV, which was positioned up against the wall of the living room which backs on to the main hall way. The phoneline enters the house just on the other side of the wall and there is a phone port in the wall behind the TV. The phoneline then runs, inside the wall, around the living room and into a seperate study room at the back of the house, where there's another port.

When I noticed the problems with the internet I thought it was because of interference with the modem being too close to the TV, so I moved the modem into the study room (so it is now further away from the TV than it was when it was working fine in the old house), but the problem still occurs.

As the difference now between the set up in the old and new houses is that the phone line runs closer to the TV, it appears the problem is interference from the TV with the line and not with the modem.

The only other difference is that the TV service in the old house was standard definition Sky and in the new house is HD Sky. Don't see that making a difference though.

Anyone have any solutions or ideas for reducing the interference or protecting the phone line? I'm a bit limited in terms of just moving the TV somewhere else where it's not impacting the phone line, as wiring has been buried in the walls for surround sound speaks, ethernet cabling and the phone line etc and can't be changed.

Are you sure this isnt an electrical fault? TVs can cause surcharge on the circuit. I would suggest getting an electrician to assess the circuit that these items are on. Because thats the most likely cause of your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Branoic wrote: »

Old House

New House

Hi Branoic,

Thanks for your post. As with last post, this may have more to do with your electric setup in your new house.

Try try the following quick Broadband Checks. Try to isolate your Broadband setup first. Maybe unplug your Television, or other electric equipment when you test your broadband.

http://bit.ly/BBChecks

If your modem or your master phone socket are at fault, then the above checks will help confirm this. You should then report this to eircom Technical Support.

If your broadband works fine, then you may have a problem with your electric setup or electricity surge or similar. In this is the case, I would advise that you seek out an electrician and don't do any electrical troubleshooting unless you are professionally qualified to do so.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement