Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do letting agencies have to deposit or post out deposits if I can't pick it up?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

I am working 9-5.30 a bit outside of Cork City. I have recently moved out of my old apartment and my landlord has agreed to return my deposit. However a letting agency is handling this and their hours are 9-5.30. Unfortunately as I am working those hours and cannot get off, I cannot call in to pick it up. I have explained my situation to the letting agency and have asked if they could either post it out to me or do a bank transfer to my account. They have refused without reason.

I really need the money and cannot pick it up in person. Are they not legally obliged to return the deposit to me by other means?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Peck3277 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am working 9-5.30 a bit outside of Cork City. I have recently moved out of my old apartment and my landlord has agreed to return my deposit. However a letting agency is handling this and their hours are 9-5.30. Unfortunately as I am working those hours and cannot get off, I cannot call in to pick it up. I have explained my situation to the letting agency and have asked if they could either post it out to me or do a bank transfer to my account. They have refused without reason.

I really need the money and cannot pick it up in person. Are they not legally obliged to return the deposit to me by other means?

Can you not go in during your lunch hour or get someone else to go in for you? I have acted as an agent for my dad before to collect his deposit when he could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell them to deduct the price of the stamp (and the envelope!). They sound fairly useless. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I think you make it the landlord's problem because ultimately it's his responsibility to return your deposit. Tell him the agency is refusing to return your deposit and you're going to take the landlord to the PRTB if it isn't returned in 5 working days.

Advertisement