Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for contents of rental property?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend an insurance company to use for personal items within a rental house/apartment in Dublin city? I had this in NY and think its a good peace of mind for a renter just in case of a break in, the items you cover will be replaced.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I purchased a policy with FBD.ie when I moved from the US to Dublin and they seem alright though I have not had to make a claim or anything. Unlike in the US (from my experience) the policy only covers contents in the apartment, up to the limit you select. It does not cover your stuff when traveling with them (like if you bring a computer on holiday and it gets stolen) or for items in storage (just called to ask that question - the woman I spoke with was friendly and I didn't have to wait on hold). The policy also has options for liability coverage in case anything happens to someone in the apartment.

My policy was under 100 euro which I felt was more than reasonable for 1 year of coverage for my wife and myself. I wish they had paperless (electronic) billing as I always prefer to get email notification and pay online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

ScottSF wrote: »
    I purchased a policy with FBD.ie when I moved from the US to Dublin and they seem alright though I have not had to make a claim or anything. Unlike in the US (from my experience) the policy only covers contents in the apartment, up to the limit you select. It does not cover your stuff when traveling with them (like if you bring a computer on holiday and it gets stolen) or for items in storage (just called to ask that question - the woman I spoke with was friendly and I didn't have to wait on hold). The policy also has options for liability coverage in case anything happens to someone in the apartment.

My policy was under 100 euro which I felt was more than reasonable for 1 year of coverage for my wife and myself. I wish they had paperless (electronic) billing as I always prefer to get email notification and pay online.
    Would that cover if an appliance stops working. Seems very cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭SVI40

I have my contents insured via AIB, with certain high value items covered on all risks. €25K, with €12K on all risks was just over €200. They were over €150 less than my previous insurance with 123.ie from last year. And the cover is exactly the same.

In my case the apartment is fully furnished (as is the case with most Dublin apartments from what I know), so I do not need to buy insurance cover for the building itself, furniture and appliances and such. The landlord has that and handles fixing anything including if an appliance breaks. The policy is just for fire, theft, flood, etc... only plus liability protection at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

ScottSF wrote: »

Thanks a lot Scott! This policy sounds great, I will definitely call FSB, the price sounds great. Did you have to fill out some kind of a form which asks which items would be covered? I am not really worried about furniture and appliances as my reason for getting this insurance would mainly be for protection against theft (been hearing about a lot of break ins lately) -- I would think that based on what you want to cover (for example, if you had a lot of expensive jewelry or electronics in the house) that would dictate the price...

• Advertisement

SVI40 wrote: »
    I have my contents insured via AIB, with certain high value items covered on all risks. €25K, with €12K on all risks was just over €200. They were over €150 less than my previous insurance with 123.ie from last year. And the cover is exactly the same.

Thanks SV, I will also contact AIB. Is that €200/year? Did you have to list out items to be covered or is it just coverage for anything up to the €25k? Is the €25k for theft and €12k for other, such as fire/water damage?

I don't recall explicitly listing any items but I believe you can do so in order to cover more expensive things such as jewelry and computers beyond their basic limits. On the FBD.ie website, you fill out a simple form (easier for renters than owners) and get a quote which you can buy online. If you add up the value of all your possessions, that is the amount of contents cover to request. It seemed pretty straightforward but then again I have no idea what happens if you need to file a claim and which insurance company is better in that regard. Hopefully that will never happen to any of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭SVI40

Thanks SV, I will also contact AIB. Is that €200/year? Did you have to list out items to be covered or is it just coverage for anything up to the €25k? Is the €25k for theft and €12k for other, such as fire/water damage?

Hi,

The €25K is for fire, theft, flood damage etc. Individual items over €1k had to be listed. The €12K all risks was for listed items, and are insured no matter what happens, i.e. if I drop my camera and break it, it's covered. These items are insured no matter what happens to them.

The €212 (approx) is per annum.

Hope that helps.

SVI40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Allianz did mine when I lived in rented accommodation.

Great, many thanks to all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement