Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Concert in a Venue

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Just after seen what Nicki Minaj is charging for the olympia 55 euro

is that the most expensive in that venue? surely has to be

id put my house on paul simon in vicar street at 80 euro to be the most expensive there

what about the o2 dearest concert there to date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Tickets on the secondary market for Adele in the Olympia were some of the highest I have ever seen (over €1000!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

but1er wrote: »

id put my house on paul simon in vicar street at 80 euro to be the most expensive there

i'll take that bet! pretty sure Neil Young in Vicar St. a few years ago was around €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Wasn't at it but i remember the Paul McCartney gig at the O2 a few years ago being from €85 to €155 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

you'd be loosing your house but1er

definitely been stuff over €60 in Olympia (just can't remember which gigs off the top of my head)

there's been a few in Vicar St over €100, Neil Young was one - was €105 I think and there was 2 nights if I'm not mistaken.....

plenty of stuff in the O2 with the stupid price ranges of €70 - €155 wether or not they'd still be able to get those prices is a question now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Andrea Bocelli at the O2 Arena,Dublin,Monday November 22nd.

Paid €155 a ticket and that's not includin' the €6.35 booking charge.

What a voice though and was in the Front Row so was just amazin'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Van Morrison is 125 quid in the O2.

Barbra Streisands tickets a few years ago were priced between £100 and £1500.

Yep you read that right. One thousand five hundred Euro.

And people paid it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Wasnt Witney Heuston pretty expensive for the last show she did here, remember people fuming about ticket prices at the time

Wasnt Witney Heuston pretty expensive for the last show she did here

Is that some Whitney Houston tribute act?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I'd need to check my tickets, but my recollection is that seats on the flat in front of the stage at Simon and Garfunkel in the RDS were around €135. Neil Young in Vicar Street was about €113 (over the counter price). Paul McCartney in the RDS in 2003 was about €135, as I recall.

Elton John: The Red Piano, O2, 2009, €162.60 (but the whole tour ended up being cancelled due to illness) :(
    Tom Waits, Ratcellar, 2008, €137.60
    Fleetwood Mac, O2, 2009, €132.60
    Leonard Cohen, O2, 2009, €131.35
    Elton John and Ray Cooper, O2, 2010, €112.60

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Isn't €50odd standard for an international act in The Olympia? I think I remember Massive Attack being around that a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Barbra Streisand Fiasco in Castletown House was €500 a ticket

Tom Waits, Ratcellar, 2008, €137.60

Thats the only gig Ive really wanted to go to that I passed on due to price.

Ry Cooder in the Olympia a few years ago too I suppose. €125

Al Green in Vicar St too actually. That was 80 quid and I knew he only did 55 minutes so gave that the flipside too.

CiaranK wrote: »
    Barbra Streisand Fiasco in Castletown House was €500 a ticket

We should've done what the Romans did and protested and got that gig cancelled.ticket prices reduced.

Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

i am shock when i hear these prices

113 euro to see neill young :O

and your only talking to last 3 4 years prices have gotten so high

bring back the 80s prices (wasnt even born) but stubs looked pretty cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

It was £15 to see Springsteen at Slane in '85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 westmeathband

don´t forget the Tom Waits gig a few years ago. the stub expense was one thing, (€120 per ticket plus €17.60 in booking fees, CC fees etc) but the fact the tickets were non transferrable, had to be issued with name printed on them and had to be shown with ID was ridiculous.

and this was in the RATCELLAR!!!!!!!!

10 years ago i saw him in the Gaiety for 10% of that, and that was a ticket from a tout!

i am shock when i hear these prices

113 euro to see neill young :O

and your only talking to last 3 4 years prices have gotten so high

Neil Young was nearly 10 years ago now.

The more we buy tickets at this price the more they will charge.

Simple solution. Dont buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I saw a-ha in RDS back in 1988 for £12.50
    I saw George Michael in O2 a few months ago for €130~ a pop. Was in 3rd or 4th row. Awsome experience. He cancelled the rest of his tour two days later, I think. Fooker nearly died.

RangeR wrote: »
    He cancelled the rest of his tour two days later, I think. Fooker nearly died.

Probably with the guilt when he saw his bank balance after the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The Nal wrote: »
    Probably with the guilt when he saw his bank balance after the gig.

He actually had very bad case of pneumonia, was rushed to a Vienna hospital [his gig that night] where he was there for a month. He was on the brink.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

Isn't €50odd standard for an international act in The Olympia? I think I remember Massive Attack being around that a few years back.
    Nah, it's normally closer to the €30 mark.
    Out of the seven gigs I went to in the Olympia (which, admittedly, two I didn't pay for or have tickets with the prices for) the dearest was Ocean Colour Scene at €35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think Korn in The Olympia last weekend was 60Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Dearest gig I was at in the Olympia was €60 for Robert Plant last time he was here with the Band Of Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

don´t forget the Tom Waits gig a few years ago. the stub expense was one thing, (€120 per ticket plus €17.60 in booking fees, CC fees etc) but the fact the tickets were non transferrable, had to be issued with name printed on them and had to be shown with ID was ridiculous.

10 years ago i saw him in the Gaiety for 10% of that, and that was a ticket from a tout!

And, in my humble opinion, the concert was crap. I was so disappointed as I am a big fan of his ballady stuff but didnt like most of the songs he played on the night I went - looking at the setlists I would have probably preferred the other 2 night but c'est la vie.

Rolling Stones in Slane 2007: €131.50 seated
    The Police in Croke Park, 2007: €106.50 Gold Circle
    U2, Croke Park 2009, €131.50 seated

Some Olympia prices from the higher end of the spectrum:

Jackson Browne, 2004, €69
    PJ Harvey, 2007, €64.80 (and worth every cent)
    Yazoo, 2008, €65.70
    Jackson Browne, 2009, €71.25

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

dixiefly wrote: »
    And, in my humble opinion, the concert was crap. I was so disappointed as I am a big fan of his ballady stuff but didnt like most of the songs he played on the night I went - looking at the setlists I would have probably preferred the other 2 night but c'est la vie.

My favourite was the middle one. Loads from Rain Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Those Neil Young tickets were €105.
    I went to the 2nd of the 3 shows he played.

I seen him in Madison Square Garden (with Crazy Horse) a month later for $35!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I remember doing security at a gig in the old Point, it was Luciano Pavarotti and he was charging an incredible amount at the time. I know they had to bring a special company in to redesign him an entire dressing room just for that performance.

He'd also cancelled the year before, but when he did perform in 2006, he was really sick and he was dead within six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

There were more sh!te seats in that venue than any other venue I've ever been in, for the price they were charging it was criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

AaronPunk wrote: »
    Nah, it's normally closer to the €30 mark.
    Out of the seven gigs I went to in the Olympia (which, admittedly, two I didn't pay for or have tickets with the prices for) the dearest was Ocean Colour Scene at €35.

Well I meant big acts, not dross like Ocean Colour Scene who'd play the opening of a fridge. They'd never get away with charging that amount.
    Some Olympia prices from the higher end of the spectrum:

Jackson Browne, 2004, €69
    PJ Harvey, 2007, €64.80 (and worth every cent)
    Yazoo, 2008, €65.70
    Jackson Browne, 2009, €71.25

Exactly, anyone who can will charge €50+ for the Olympia. I haven't been there in a good while though, thankfully. Not a good venue at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Barbara Streisand ftw.

Advertisement