Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on proof of funds for NZ?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just a quick question on proof of funds for the one year WHV. Will the $4200 be ok if its currently in my Irish bank account and I have a statement to prove so. Also, I would not need a return ticket? Would they be likely to check for funds/return ticket,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I wasn't checked when i went there and i have heard of nobody being stopped and asked to show proof of funds,

If you really worried just get the statement from your bank that will do fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

gustafo wrote: »
    I wasn't checked when i went there and i have heard of nobody being stopped and asked to show proof of funds,

If you really worried just get the statement from your bank that will do fine.

I booked a one way ticket, I'd assume I'm likely to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

FearDark wrote: »
    I booked a one way ticket, I'd assume I'm likely to be stopped.

you may be but i doubt you will be, as long as you have the visa you should be fine. just get a print out from your bank here that will keep them happy if your stopped.

gustafo wrote: »
    you may be but i doubt you will be, as long as you have the visa you should be fine. just get a print out from your bank here that will keep them happy if your stopped.

Thanks a million for the advice man, I'll have a mini statement tomorrow from the bank and a printout of my visa so hopefully I'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

You won't get stopped if you don't have a return ticket, why would you? Most people don't know whether they will stay the full year of the WHV or apply for a longer visa during their stay so it would be a bit mad to buy a return ticket unless you've got definite plans.

I wasnt asked for any proof of funds when I arrived on a WHV back in 2008 nor did I have a return ticket. I did have a print out of the statement from the NZ bank that i'd sent all my money to just in case they asked for it so would be prudent to at least have that. The immigration officers words on stamping my passport and sighting my visa were "Welcome to New Zealand Bro!" and that was that :)

Still here four years later and now applying for residency...its a great country you're going to enjoy it!

• Advertisement

Brilliant, Im absolutely worried shítless about being stopped. I'll have roughly 2800euro in my bank account going which is about 4500 nz dollars. I have a mini statement from the bank, I applied for a full statement almost two weeks ago. I'm flying out Sunday so hopefully it all works out, I'm just terrified of being stopped and asked a bunch of questions you know?

Where abouts are you pclancy? I'm heading for Christchurch, on my own, can't wait!

Edit: Wellington! Just saw it.

You'll be fine, absolutely no need to worry. I've always found immigration officers to be totally cool when entering or leaving the country, especially when they see an Irish passport.

Take it easy with that $4500 because you'll be amazed how quick it will vanish if you start doing trips or activities or even a night out on the town!

If you make it up to Wellington give me a shout to go for a pint.

Appreciate it man. I only have a week to myself and I start straight into work, got a job general labouring for a construction firm in Christchurch (and have letter to prove so and salary included)And I'll be paid after two weeks. I even have my accommodation paid for the first month so I should be good (unless I go completely mad in the first week)!

Thanks again man :)

Sweet you sound like you're landing on your feet nicely then. Plus still another month or two of decentish weather before winter kicks in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 m.mac

hey feardark. how are things in NZ. I am planning to head out soon myself. how were you able to get work so quick and have you any formal qualifications ect.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement