Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargaining with Estate Agent

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Going to see a 2 bed apartment for 1,200 in Dublin 4 today...

I think it is worth 1,150.....

Is there any point in me trying to bargain? Am i wasting my time??? How should i go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You are only asking for 50 quid off the rent. That is not a lot. Of course you are not wasting your time.

Tell her your budget is 1,100e and that is all you are prepared to pay. She will either agree, meet you you in the middle at 1150, or insist on the full price. 1,200e may be the advertised price. The advertising price is not always what rental price will be. She will have been have been instructed by her client on what is the minimum amount of rent that they will accept. It all depends on what her client has instructed her to do. If he/she is in in a financial hole they may dig their heels in and insist on the full amount, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least 50 quid wiggle room for the estate agent to deal with if she decides that you will be a desirable tenant in other respects.

Bear in mind the fact that D4 is probably the most expensive part of Ireland to rent in with traditionally very high demand. The apt may already be priced fairly to begin with, and there may be less bargaining room than in other areas. Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Yeah that is what I am thinking.

No harm in trying my luck I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Going to see a 2 bed apartment for 1,200 in Dublin 4 today...

I think it is worth 1,150.....

Is there any point in me trying to bargain? Am i wasting my time??? How should i go about it?

You will never know unless you ask.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement