Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for the cost of new build 2012

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I'm a girl from north tipp and I'm at the start of building a new house. My parents have land and passed it onto me. :D. I'm contracting the work to one man, who has an excellent reputation. He also did the plans for me, free of charge. The build is a four bed dormer style, 1800sq ft. It will be a builders finished, includeing fire stove and solar panels. It's a standard box like house but will have ceiling to floor panels windows at the back of the kitchen looking out onto garden, approx 14sq ft in length for sunlight. The cost is 140k. Not included in that is the cost of engineer, esb connection, planning permission fees and solicitor. My question is, is this a good price now a days?..I'm worried been a youngish girl building on my own he might take advantage of my lack of knowledge in the building industry, the costs etc. I've heard people say you can get labour done now a days for half nothing, but maybe it's the materials that will be expensive. Oh I forgot to mention it will be a timber frame house with slab all around. It will also be a grade A energy efficient home. He is very big into insulation and said the hole house will be wrapped in a blanket. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hopefully you'll get some advice in here :)

Moved from the Test forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nryan82

I hope so. Not havin much look so far. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nryan82 wrote: »
    ..I'm worried been a youngish girl building on my own he might take advantage of my lack of knowledge in the building industry, the costs etc..

if this is your worry then i would make sure to engage someone who will work on your behalf to take this worry away. if you are using a mortage to pay, then you will be required to engage an architect/ technician/ engineer to inspect the works. personally, id talk to this professional and explain your situation and tell them that youd like a bit more than the standard 5-6 visits... in order to check that the build is being carrried out to a high quaity.

as its timber frame, then the off site process will be to a certain standard anyway.

on the costs.. well its apples and oranges here.
    best thing to always do is to get at least 3 quotes for the same specification. this should make things clearer.

as for direct labour... you will ALWAYS here the good stories and not the horror stories (of which there are many).

be in no doubt, money isnt 'saved' with direct labour, its 'earned'.

In my opinion, if you have no construction experience, then stay away from direct labour as its you who will bear the brunt of unseen costs, low quality work and unsatisfactory results....

Thanks for the advice. Ya your right. I'm goin to contact an engineer to help me etc. that's another thing I had query about..my builder has or has worked with an engineer who he suggested to me but I've been to,d to not have the engineer friendly with the builder or in any way familiar with each other as he could easily sign. Off on the builders work without it been up to standard, even thou I don't think my builder would do me a bad turn but still I don't want to take the chance. Would u agree?..when u say the off site process will be to a certain standard anyway. Wat do you mean?. Yes I have heard about the hassles and headache of been ur own contractor and there's no way I'd go down that route with my lack of knowledge also!. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

Hi,

My advise is to read as much as you can on Boards :) We have learnt loads from being on here snooping for ages until we took the plunge and starting posting :)

Some tips we have learned so far, and we havent started yet, we are being very cautious...

1. Ask any question that comes to your head, no matter how silly you think it is! Write it down and ask when next speaking to your builder/contractor

2. Don't only get one quote, we probably ahve gone overboard but we have several quotes from different contractors/engineers/builders and then going direct route we then narrowed down tradesmen and got individual quotes. But definately get more than this one quote.

3. Arrange meetings with builders and go into building providers (dont be intimated) and speak with them and ask them anything!

4. Really consider how you plan on living in your house. Literally take a walk through your house in your head and imagine every detail.

5. We spoke with several engineers and got their opinion on everything from heating to windows to layouts. Definately worth having a chat with an engineer and showing them your plans.

We are about to build at the moment and so far we have had lots of quotes back ranging from 170k to 240k. We wouldnt automatically choose the cheapest but after comparing like with like believe it or not the lower price were using higher quality materials. We still have a few more quotes to come back as we are looking at direct labour. So we will see. We are building a 2700sqf house. So your quote does seem reasonable for the level of finish and what is included.

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

when i say 'off site' i mean the construction of the timber frame.
    As this occurs in a factory the standard is pretty much always even... so as your are the one putting in the order, you want to be sure of the standard of frame you will be getting. ask your engineer / architect for advise on this.

on the builder / engineer being friendly, i would say this. If hes a well established builder with years if experience and does good work* then its most certainly possibly that he would know a local well established engineer very well.
    Always ask previous clients how they fared.. with both the builder and engineer.
    There are some builders that i would know that i would be confident of recommending, and there are others that i wouldnt let build a dog kennel. suffice to say im not friendly with the bad ones... but my relationship with the good ones, while friendly, is always professional. I think these two can exist without there being a conflict.

but again, ask previous clients, and not only the ones who the builder or engineer suggests.

:eek:

"be in no doubt, money isnt 'saved' with direct labour, its 'earned'."

I like this line :) This is a very true statement and we havent even started yet..... I will be back here in a few months eating my words no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I will be back here in a few months eating my words no doubt :)
    So long as that's all you eat you we will be fine :p

Yes I reaally like that quote aswell...def true!!!..my friend and her boyfriend went direct labour n it took the, three yrs to finish there house!..

Yes I definitely will get an engineer on board and not just the one my. Holder has suggested to me, although It does make sense that he would know a few as yes he is a well known builder with years experience.

The other thing is, he, the builder, did my house plans for me, for free, as part of him contracting all the work, so I'd assume if I take his plans and go to another builder, I'll have to pay him something, proberly not a lot but still something. Ya I think it sounds like a good price too and a few friends have told me the same but no harm in gettin a few more quotes.

Thanks for all the help guys. Oh and if it wasn't for the boards.ie I wouldn't have self knowledged myself as much as I have with building etc, so thanks a mil. I must get onto someone about windows now too...eeekkk..hehe...I've read loads about them on here but seem a bit confusing...oh the joys of building eh?

The other thing is, he, the builder, did my house plans for me, for free, as part of him contracting all the work.....................Oh and if it wasn't for the boards.ie I wouldn't have self knowledged myself as much as
    That bit of wisdom wasn't picked up on this forum :(

• Advertisement

I no that muffler. :o:o

The plans seem perfect though and he drew up exactly wat I want.;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The plans seem perfect though and he drew up exactly wat I want.;)
    The other thing is, he, the builder, did my house plans for me, for free, as part of him contracting all the work,

would you like to share these plans done by your builder?

How do I post them up ere?...I only have my ground floor at the moment as he is making sum changes to the first floor.

Has anyone ever had their builder draw up plans or them before?. I get the feeling people might think this is a bit silly of me. ???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I get the feeling people might think this is a bit silly of me. ???

I think that's what many might be thinking! :o

It's hard enough to get builders to build in compliance with the building regulations never mind design in accordance with the building regulations.....but you never know.

Have you got planning permission and/or a preliminary BER done? Like BryanF, would love to see the plans too.

When I can figure out how I can post them on here I will put them up as I was with my builder today and he gave me the plans with what needed to be fixed and to see if I'm happy with them.
    I understand that's it's not the builders job to design your house but I think he has great experience and knows what's hes doing, but maybe I'm wrong!. I understand the building regulations have changed in recent years. It's all energy efficiency and passive homes now, is that right?. Obviously there's proberly a lot more to it than that but am I on the right track?. If so my builder is hugely into insulation, solar panels, air tightness and said the house will be built with a grade A1. Isn't this what a BER test determines?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What you are basically saying is that a timber frame company is throwing in the house design and plans (one from their brochure, I would guess) in order that they should get the contract to build it?

Poor uncle Tom, dont know where your getting the impression that that's what I'm basically saying. It's far from it. Nothing is been "thrown" up by any timber frame company. The builder I'm working with gave me the option of going timber frame or block, I chose timber frame myself for my own reasons. Its a family building business my builder comes from. Hs father and brothers are all builders and contractors. It has nothing to do with a timber frame company and there brochures so sorry but ur wrong.

Doarch, I haven't got planning permission yet but will be sending them in soon as i am happy now with my plans. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Has anyone ever had their builder draw up plans or them before?. I get the feeling people might think this is a bit silly of me. ???

Silly, NO, unusual in this Forum maybe.
    My first house, I contracted a builder who offered a number of house designs, he was able to bring me to houses he had built, and we made changes to suit our circumstances.
    Its one thing to look at a set of plans, another to walk around a home, and visualise how you would interact with the space as a family.

Hopr this is similar to what you are experiencing.

Alternatively, a neighbour who has years of experience as an Architect, when the downturn closed his business he set up as a builder, ( what else was he qualified to do)
    So now he can meet clients, have an input to the design, apply for planning, and build the house/extention, and YES before you all ask, he does get the client to employ independant professionals to examine his work and provide all the Certification.

• Advertisement

Martin123 that's exactly my situation. He has shown me loads of homes, ideas etc and then changed some things I didn't like or to suit my needs. I also found some pictures on the net to what I was looking for and he only too happy to put them into my plans for me. He really was great and to be honest when I contacted an architect about plans before I'd met my present builder, he quoted me 10k....:eek: I was shocked!.wayyy to pricey for me, so I was thrilled when my builder explained it all to me and would do the plans for free.
    That's an excellent idea by your neighbour, fair play to them. Gud thinking:p

Proberly have goe a little off the originally question but I really appreciate all the info etc and hope I am getting a fair price for my home.:)

nyran82 wrote:
    The other thing is, he, the builder, did my house plans for me, for free
    BryanF wrote:
    would you like to share these plans done by your builder?
    DOARCH wrote:
    Like BryanF, would love to see the plans too.
    a timber frame company is throwing in the house design and plans

nyran82, that sound you hear is the sound of knives being sharpened, so when you post the plans, expect some em.. pointed comments.:D;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Martin123 that's exactly my situation. He has shown me loads of homes, ideas etc and then changed some things I didn't like or to suit my needs. I also found some pictures on the net to what I was looking for and he only too happy to put them into my plans for me. He really was great and to be honest when I contacted an architect about plans before I'd met my present builder, he quoted me 10k....:eek: I was shocked!.wayyy to pricey for me, so I was thrilled when my builder explained it all to me and would do the plans for free.
    That's an excellent idea by your neighbour, fair play to them. Gud thinking:p

Proberly have goe a little off the originally question but I really appreciate all the info etc and hope I am getting a fair price for my home.:)
    I'm mad for a look now..:)

Haha...good one Martin123...:D..I'll be expecting to be butchered alryt..hehe. I don't mind though what anyone thinks about my plans..it's my house, my wants, my ideas, my life etc...everyone is different and has diff taste. I'm happy with mine so that's all that matters but I'm totally open to suggestions and other ideas too. A few heads are better than one..:D....now just to figure out how to get them on this..arrrghhhh.. I'm using an iPad so il have to try figure it out. Bear with me guys..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

martinn123 wrote: »
    nyran82, that sound you hear is the sound of knives being sharpened, so when you post the plans, expect some em.. pointed comments.:D;)
    The posters you quoted (DOCARCH, BryanF and myself) give our time and experience free of charge here, so your sarcastic comment, whether humourous or not, rings hollow.;)

Why who was being sarcastic? Duno wat ur on bout .......I'm here to talk about building costs...everyone is here free sure. :confused:

The posters you quoted (DOCARCH, BryanF and myself) give our time and experience free of charge here, so your sarcastic comment, whether humourous or not, rings hollow.;)

Sorry PUT, but that post makes absolutely no sense.
    All of Boards.ie is as far as I know ''free of charge'' unless I am missing something, I did not question anyones experience, qualifications or otherwise, indeed as all posts are under assumed names I do not know anyones background or current employment status, although we can all guess some regular posters status, from advice given.

My post was not meant in a sarcastic way, I would wonder however at what point was your sense of humour removed.:confused:
    nyran82 wrote:
    now just to figure out how to get them on this..arrrghhhh.. I'm using an iPad so il have to try figure it out. Bear with me guys

when composing a message, scroll down to a button called '' manage attachments'' click on that, now you can attach the file with the plans on it, assuming you have them as a file somewhere, if not scan them, and save as a jpeg file and post,

How do I post them up ere?...I only have my ground floor at the moment as he is making sum changes to the first floor.

Hi, i havent tried doing this yet but i think this might be right.....

Go to post a reply at the bottom of the thread and there is a little icon with a "paperclip" at the top of where you are writing next to the smiley face. Once you hit that a second box opens and you should be able to browse for where the file is saved. trying doing this and see how you get on.

I'm afraid i cannot answer the other part of your question, in relation to the builder drawing plans. I will say this though, we've had 2 different architects draw plans for us and while 1 was fantastic the other was not so great. Very basic and lacked design, so i think once you know what you want, i can't see any reason why an experienced builder can't create something great for you with you.

now just to figure out how to get them on this..arrrghhhh.. I'm using an iPad so il have to try figure it out. Bear with me guys..;)
    Just to add that for most files you can use this site to upload them and which is very easy to use.

There is also a Test Forum where you can practice things before posting here.

Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys..I'll get onto that this evening when I get home from work. New build in site, my plan is fairly basic, but that's what I wanted. Nice and simply and easy to maintain. I think it's wat I'll put into it after that will make it decorative. Thanks again.:)

Advertisement