Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for the cost of new build 2012

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nryan82

You poor thing, I know exactly how you feel, but you must remember these are your first draft so it can be changed. Its good that you are askign for some advice, we first went for planning about 5 years ago and I am secretly happy we were refused as the plans that we have today completely differ from what we would of built back 5 years ago!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe8YfZy6PWGlJ6uRYwmJy96luOS_Hqa-Bt8CxNpII_1vnUV-x5

I'd love to see the plans you have today?..would u like to share them?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

:eek:Are you crazy nryan! I am not as brave as you, I am happy with mine for now expcept for a few changes.... :)
    You will get there though, its great that youre getting all this advice before youre at our stage of trying to change things as the process is evolving..... at least you will be starting with a concrete idea of what you like. Can't be a bad thing :)

:eek:Are you crazy nryan! I am not as brave as you, I am happy with mine for now expcept for a few changes.... :)
    You will get there though, its great that youre getting all this advice before youre at our stage of trying to change things as the process is evolving..... at least you will be starting with a concrete idea of what you like. Can't be a bad thing :)

God I don't no if I'm that brave, maybe I am, but I didn't realise der would so many things wrong with my plans and so many negative comments..:(...I no people are only trying to help but god a positive thought here and there wouldn't go astray....people are too negative these days...sad times eh?....like you commented earlier, I love my upstairs, my walkin wardrobe etc, but obviuosly no one else could see this...ahh well.!!!!...everyone to their own I suppose!!!!....maybe you could private mail me them?..up to you tho new build on site.:):)

I've thought hard and long about it all nite and I've decided I'm goin to bring my kitchen slightly around the corner, meaning less floor to window space, and not have more kitchen at the other side, ( not sure what I'll do with that space), but I will move my table maybe more over to that wall. I'm goin to ask my builder to make the room at least 2ft wider and 2ft longer. (I hope he won't add on more dosh)...
    And the wc downstairs wheelchair accessible. Oh and I'm gonna out in a window in the kitchen, maybe above the sink, presses then will be along either side of this window. Hopefully this will work out.!!!!

On the layout in general, its not very family friendly. The door to this space is too close to the stove in my opinion.

some door swings are weird, but thats just a drawing error i would think....[/QUOTE]

Sydthebeat where would you suggest I put my stove?. It's something I'm trying to figure out also and yes all the door swings are not properly right yet. People are forgetting this is a rough plan. Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

Would you consider re-arranging the stairs/hallway to allow you to re-locate the door to the Living Area where the tv is shown.

• Advertisement

Hi Bryaj , ya that sounds interesting. So I would be entering my open plan area between the two rooms?. It would proberly have to be a little more in the kitchen side or the living room side tho as from the picture i am havin a slight break between the two rooms, literally the wall coming in a bit rather than a complete flat wall throughout. But it's def something I could think about. I'm trying to think how I could change my stairs...hmmmmm:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

Thus the need for an Architect/Architectural Technician/Technologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nryan82 wrote: »
    but I didn't realise der would so many things wrong with my plans and so many negative comments..:(...I no people are only trying to help but god a positive thought here and there wouldn't go astray....people are too negative these days...sad times eh?
    You really shouldn't view the comments as being negative. Anything that has been posted here has been constructive and is meant to help you and certainly not hinder you.

There are comments suggesting on how the layout could be improved and its entirely your choice if you wish to take those comments on board. There are also comments regarding the building regulations but you should not ignore those.

But hey, its your house and if you're happy enough with it (subject to it being built in compliance with building rgs) then thats fine as it will be you living in it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nryan82, you could try this: http://www.simonopendoor.ie/

E 50 (for charity) for a one hour consultation with an architect. You could get a lot of good advice/ideas in one hour. You could always bring your builder with you!

As Muffler said, there is nothing fundamentally 'wrong' with your plans (if you are generally happy with them) but there is certainly a lot of room for tweaking/improving the layout.

Another option would be to engage a good architcet/technician to do the basic plans for you, refine and finalise the design. Then if you feel your builder is up to speed on building regs, etc., let him take it from there. You mentioned E10k before, but for an architcet/technician just to do the design (or refine the existing design), the cost would be a fraction of this.

My personal opinion would be by not getting this input you will not be making the best of what will probably be the biggest investment of your life!

Advertisement