Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TK max and Enable Ireland

• 04-04-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

a woman on the JD show claims that if you go to TK Max in Galway they will ask you at the till for a contribution towards Enable Ireland. seems bizarre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i was in TKMaxx at weekend and at the till I was given an Enable Ireland recycling bag for any old clothes etc I might like to donate and drop bag back into store. was never asked to make a money donation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    a woman on the JD show claims that if you go to TK Max in Galway they will ask you at the till for a contribution towards Enable Ireland. seems bizarre.
    Dont see any issue, Enable are a charity, many businesses and charities have strong links.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I caught the end of it, classic Liveline.

When they're ringing up your purchase, they ask if you want to give money to Enable Ireland. To the swivel eyed loons that Talk To Joe, this is akin to putting a gun to your head and asking for your firstborn in blood sacrifice. I mean you've already given a passable impression of sentient human capable of independent living by rocking up to the altar of commerce, surely you're able to say no. If not, the ward of court system beckons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

So a woman was actually giving out about a charity collecting money? Glad I don't listen to Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Dont see any issue, Enable are a charity, many businesses and charities have strong links.

some folks feel they are under pressure.its worse than the supermarkets who have someone collecting behind the checkout. hard to say no. now it appears that the cashier is doing the asking.I would turn on my heel and walk out if they asked me.

• Advertisement

Predalien wrote: »
    So a woman was actually giving out about a charity collecting money? Glad I don't listen to Joe.

its more chugging.
    leave a bucket at the till if you must, but do not go hassling customers. This seems to be a pilot thing and just in Galway as they want to see how customers react to being hassled and if it affects their sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Dont see any Issue,, I have when a CEO of a Charity Takes home over 200k a year and then give the poor that they dont have enough Money to do up the Enable Ireland Centers for the Kids I wonder why !

Cork24 wrote: »
    Dont see any Issue,, I have when a CEO of a Charity Takes home over 200k a year and then give the poor that they dont have enough Money to do up the Enable Ireland Centers for the Kids I wonder why !

I believe the woman who rang in, labour cllr?, had an issue that enable ireland does not reveal how much they get in donations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I agree with Cllr Nolan on this.
    This is all TKMaxx outlets requesting money to be donated at a point of sale, you cannot avoid this. You are buying something and you hand over your card and then they ask if you want to donate money to charity.
    At least a chugger on the street can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

It's a very popular thing to do in the states.... Listen no one is holding a gun to your head.. If you don't wanna donate just say the magics word... NO!;)

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    It's a very popular thing to do in the states.... Listen no one is holding a gun to your head.. If you don't wanna donate just say the magics word... NO!;)

I fail to understand why this thread has been moved to the after hours forum, which is usually reserved for less serious topics. to my knowledge only TK Maax Galway is doing this.
    a Galwegian cllr. brought up this issue so this thread is Galway related.

folks are put on the spot and do not wish to appear stingy just like I dislike them rattling a bucket at the supermarkets but cannot walk past if I know them. chuggers can be peruasive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its not on in my opinion, if i was to got to a shop that done this i would be complaining to the manager, people are strapped enough for cash without charities begging and harassing people for money in shops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cruais wrote: »

Happens all the time here in the US. I don't see a problem with it at all, at the moment charities need every penny they can get to help people. If you feel you can't afford to help out, it's perfectly easy to say no.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

some folks feel they are under pressure.its worse than the supermarkets who have someone collecting behind the checkout. hard to say no. now it appears that the cashier is doing the asking.I would turn on my heel and walk out if they asked me.

Its really not.

"like to give something to enable?"
    "no thanks"

simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

They aren't hassling to be fair, was in Stephens Green, the cashier said would you like to give €1 to Enable Ireland, added to your bill. It's only €1 and it would be easy to say no, I felt no pressure to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I remember a shop started doing that last year, I just stopped going as I didn't like it. No need to moan, shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its not on in my opinion, if i was to got to a shop that done this i would be complaining to the manager, people are strapped enough for cash without charities begging and harassing people for money in shops.
    Have you heard the word NO. I ignore charity collectors all over the place, if there are bag packers at tills and i dont like their charity or group then i pack my bag and dont give them money, its not rocket science and it most definitely isnt a serious issue in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Don't see the problem. If you don't want to donate, don't. The cashier won't care, they've probably just been instructed to ask people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Happened to me yesterday, the cashier was really hot and I couldn't say no.

Damn you TK MAXX!! Damn you to hell!!

I'm sorry but I don't understand people feeling they cannot say no :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

McDonalds do something similar now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

lizt wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't understand people feeling they cannot say no :confused:

The thought process is: Maybe if I donate, the hot cashier will have intercourse with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A cllr complaining about a charity collecting money and feeling under pressure to donate yet the council allowed the rotary club put a bug ugly charity box on the prom. You can hardly kick the wall now as it has taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

c_man wrote: »
    The thought process is: Maybe if I donate, the hot cashier will have intercourse with me
    Or maybe even just smile at me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Happens all the time here in the US. I don't see a problem with it at all, at the moment charities need every penny they can get to help people. If you feel you can't afford to help out, it's perfectly easy to say no.

Around Christmas it seems like every shop you go into. No problem - sometimes I donate, and sometimes I just say "no thank you" and think no more about it.

Some of the charities do it more subtly. At the checkout you grab a slip for a $1/$5/$10 donation with a barcode on it, and put it on the counter. They scan it in with your shopping with no asking or answering out loud. Would people feel that was a more low-pressure way of doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

If you're so weak willed that you just can't say no, please pm me so I can proposition sex to you, gender not important, I'll do a guy to prove a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

...to my knowledge only TK Maax Galway is doing this.

It's spread further than that. I was in TKMaxx in Saint Stephens Green and Blanchardstown on Saturday and the buckets were set up at the tills. The cashiers in Stephens Green were asking for donations but I didn't hear it being requested at Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

You get over TK Max at the tills,

What i really hate is when your in the pub and people come in asking you to give 2 euro for who ever their collection for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

It was in Champion Sports a few weeks ago, I bought something and then the cashier tried to get a donation to VdeP or some other charity. I refused but it was still irritating to be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TKD447

I cannot believe people give out about a 1 euro donation, sorry you have been so inconvienced instead of bitching and moaning about everything why not thank the ppl who work at Tk maxx for putting a bit of hardwork and basically ther neck out to moany tight arses! you do realise that all funds raised are to help disabled children recieve rehabilation and all monies raised go directly into buying equipment and devices to help the kids get use to ther wheel chairs, enable ireland teaches these kids not to be ashamed of ther disability and build up ther confidence to either bring them back into society or teach them not to be ashamed of ther disability. Wow fair play to ppl who would rather give out about a charity than get up and actually help by making a huge 1euro donation!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

I took one of the bags alright but wasnt asked for money, Mcdonalds did that once or twice, would you like to donate a euro to insert charity name?
    yes/no
    Seems quite simple really, you're not under any obligation.

People to get over themselves ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭SeanW

I find it very easy to say no, I just bag my stuff and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Happens all the time here in the US. I don't see a problem with it at all, at the moment charities need every penny they can get to help people pay their executives wages. If you feel you can't afford to help out, it's perfectly easy to say no.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

TKD447 wrote: »
    I cannot believe people give out about a 1 euro donation, sorry you have been so inconvienced instead of bitching and moaning about everything why not thank the ppl who work at Tk maxx for putting a bit of hardwork and basically ther neck out to moany tight arses! you do realise that all funds raised are to help disabled children recieve rehabilation and all monies raised go directly into buying equipment and devices to help the kids get use to ther wheel chairs, enable ireland teaches these kids not to be ashamed of ther disability and build up ther confidence to either bring them back into society or teach them not to be ashamed of ther disability. Wow fair play to ppl who would rather give out about a charity than get up and actually help by making a huge 1euro donation!!!

That's if you have a fucking spare euro to donate! You are obviously not someone that has to count every cent, let alone every euro and you've obviously never known the heart scald that is saying no to everything large and small for years. You are the one that should be ashamed of yourself for making light of the predicament that a lot of people in this country face and don't need their noses rubbed in it.

That's if you have a fucking spare euro to donate! You are obviously not someone that has to count every cent, let alone every euro and you've obviously never known the heart scald that is saying no to everything large and small for years. You are the one that should be ashamed of yourself for making light of the predicament that a lot of people in this country face and don't need their noses rubbed in it.

But you're missing the point, its not an obligation, cashiers in tk maxx are just asking, not demanding.

I think you're being overly sensitive, he at no point made light of people in dire straits. but if you're shopping in tkmax, you aint that hard up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bit of an over reaction there. No one is forcing anyone to donate, especially not if they are in a situation where every euro counts.

Also TK Maxx stocks designer goods at reduced prices, anyone shopping there is obviously not stuck for a cent or two.

But you're missing the point, its not an obligation, cashiers in tk maxx are just asking, not demanding.

I think you're being overly sensitive, he at no point made of people in dire straits. but if you're shopping in tkmax, you aint that hard up:rolleyes:
    Bit of an over reaction there. No one is forcing anyone to donate, especially not if they are in a situation where every euro counts.

Also TK Maxx stocks designer goods at reduced prices, anyone shopping there is obviously not stuck for a cent or two.

great minds :)

I'm not saying that anybody is being forced but it's not nice looking at the 'it's only a euro you're being asked for' look in some people's eyes when they are collecting for charity.

As for the comment about if someone can afford to shop in TK Maxx than that person is not stuck for a cent or two (or a hundred) is a bit silly. If you ever went in there you would know that you can sometimes pick up some items at a cheaper price than even Dunnes or Penny's.

I'm not saying that anybody is being forced but it's not nice looking at the 'it's only a euro you're being asked for' look in some people's eyes when they are collecting for charity.

As for the comment about if someone can afford to shop in TK Maxx than that person is not stuck for a cent or two (or a hundred) is a bit silly. If you ever went in there you would know that you can sometimes pick up some items at a cheaper price than even Dunnes or Penny's.

Not so cheap when you're counting the coins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Happened to me at TK the weekend and it is annoying.
    If i want to donate money to charity i know exactly where to find them!!
    It's very cheeky of them. Shop should not be allowed this, it's nothing more than begging at the till, the same as begging at cash machines.

• Advertisement

Happened to me at TK the weekend and it is annoying.
    If i want to donate money to charity i know exactly where to find them!!
    It's very cheeky of them. Shop should not be allowed this, it's nothing more than begging at the till, the same as begging at cash machines.

But a lot of people do want to donate, and it ust never occurs to them to go online etc, but you have a choice.

I've been in there plenty of times. The whole premise of the store is designer good at cheaper prices so obviously it's not bargain basement prices. What items are you referring to specifically?

Personally, I don't care if someone has a look in their eyes, if I don't want to donate to a charity, I won't, if I do, I will. Simple. I really think there's a serious over reaction here, people are being asked to donate. There's no obligation. It's not stuck on their receipt. The cashier will not care whether you donate or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

how dare charities try to raise money to help people
    that money could help influence government policy or buy a new car
    charities the dirty chancers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

If you ever went in there you would know that you can sometimes pick up some items at a cheaper price than even Dunnes or Penny's.

really i never have same price maybe but not cheaper

Not so cheap when you're counting the coins

That is very true. They are not so cheap these days but then neither are charity shops. Last summer, when I went hunting for a top to wear to a family occasion in the various charity shops in town I was gobsmacked to see some of the prices they were charging for secondhand items that were fairly limp with wear. In fact, in Enable Ireland there was a basic Dunnes tshirt hanging on the rail and priced at €4 and the same tshirt brand new was €3 in Dunnes. The lady behind the counter wasn't best pleased when I pointed it out. Also my ex-mother-in-law volunteers in an Enable Ireland shop and from her buys and stories the decent stuff that is donated never reaches the shop floor. The staff get first dibbs on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

c_man wrote: »

unprotected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I'm sick of the whole charity thing everywhere, i'm fed up saying no to them. I'm going to avoid TK maxx if i can.

That is very true. They are not so cheap these days but then neither are charity shops. Last summer, when I went hunting for a top to wear to a family occasion in the various charity shops in town I was gobsmacked to see some of the prices they were charging for secondhand items that were fairly limp with wear. In fact, in Enable Ireland there was a basic Dunnes tshirt hanging on the rail and priced at €4 and the same tshirt brand new was €3 in Dunnes. The lady behind the counter wasn't best pleased when I pointed it out. Also my ex-mother-in-law volunteers in an Enable Ireland shop and from her buys and stories the decent stuff that is donated never reaches the shop floor. The staff get first dibbs on them.

I volunteer in a charity shop and this definitely does not happen where I am. If we want something that comes in a donation it is priced as if it is going on the floor then that price is approved by the manager. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. :rolleyes:

Oh Im not doubting they get first dibs, but arent a lot of those people volunteers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

But a lot of people do want to donate, and it ust never occurs to them to go online etc, but you have a choice.

well i sure they get reminded by the countless collectors on the street, tv advertisiment's, supermarket bag packers etc etc etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement