Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TK max and Enable Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

That is very true. They are not so cheap these days but then neither are charity shops. Last summer, when I went hunting for a top to wear to a family occasion in the various charity shops in town I was gobsmacked to see some of the prices they were charging for secondhand items that were fairly limp with wear. In fact, in Enable Ireland there was a basic Dunnes tshirt hanging on the rail and priced at €4 and the same tshirt brand new was €3 in Dunnes. The lady behind the counter wasn't best pleased when I pointed it out. Also my ex-mother-in-law volunteers in an Enable Ireland shop and from her buys and stories the decent stuff that is donated never reaches the shop floor. The staff get first dibbs on them.

so they still pay and the charities make money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

well i sure they get reminded by the countless collectors on the street, tv advertisiment's, supermarket bag packers etc etc etc...

But can they not say no to same?

Or have people lost the ability to say no?
    Whats more frightening is the government taking alot more from us, and yet people are up in arms over a euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Whats more frightening is the government taking alot more from us, and yet people are up in arms over a euro

... that they're not even forced to donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

People to get over themselves ffs

This is the solution to every AH thread, and indeed most problems generally. If only Joe D would use this line, now that's an episode of Liveline that would almost be worth paying the licence fee for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

lizt wrote: »
    I volunteer in a charity shop and this definitely does not happen where I am. If we want something that comes in a donation it is priced as if it is going on the floor then that price is approved by the manager. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. :rolleyes:

Save your :rolleyes: - you should read again where I said her buys. Nowhere did I say that she or the others she works with gets them gratis. What it does mean though is that the volunteers staffing the shops get the best items that are handed in (which is fair enough as they are volunteering out of the goodness of their hearts) but that in turn means that that there is only tat left for the general public to buy.

hoody wrote: »
    This is the solution to every AH thread, and indeed most problems generally. If only Joe D would use this line, now that's an episode of Liveline that would almost be worth paying the licence fee for.

Kennys asking you to give 100eur so in comparison a euro aint that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Its not on in my opinion, if i was to got to a shop that done this i would be complaining to the manager, people are strapped enough for cash without charities begging and harassing people for money in shops.
    It's not begging or harassing at all.
    Chugging can be harassment territory but "Would you like to donate?" at a till hardly matches it.
    I understand how those strapped for cash might feel under pressure to say yes, but they shouldn't IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

but why should people be put in that position?

If a homeless person followed you around every shop and asked for a euro every time you went to pay for something how long before you would tell him to f*** off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Save your :rolleyes: - you should read again where I said her buys. Nowhere did I say that she or the others she works with gets them gratis. What it does mean though is that the volunteers staffing the shops get the best items that are handed in (which is fair enough as they are volunteering out of the goodness of their hearts) but that in turn means that that there is only tat left for the general public to buy.

I also volunteer in a charity shop - I did read your post and noted that you were mentioning a particular shop where your ex mother in law worked as a volunteer.

BUT - the charity shop where I work does not allow volunteers to buy stuff until it is on the shop floor and they pay full price for it. Fair enough if they happen to be working as it comes out and get first dibs, we are not allowed hold stuff, if we want it we buy it on that day.

That way everyone gets a good selection and it's the luck of the draw.

There is no tat in the shop where I work, and anyway one persons' tat can be another persons treasure.

Most volunteers work at least ten hours a week for FREE!

Volunteers get so sick of hearing this from customers, we do not get all the good stuff and it is annoying to hear it.

Some charity shops may be like you say... but in my experience the majority of them don't seem to be a free for all.

I wouldn't be giving any of my old clothes or stuff to a charity where I thought that was going on.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Advertisement

but why should people be put in that position?

If a homeless person followed you around every shop and asked for a euro every time you went to pay for something how long before you would tell him to f*** off?
    But they are not following you around the shop are they? they ask you at the till, if you say no thats the end of it, they also give you the option of bringing home one of their bags(enable ireland) to fill with clothes to donate.

And if someone follows you its harassment, no comparison

The money is all going in the till. I don't think anyone cares if the money comes from a volunteer, the general public or Jesus Christ himself. And if your assertation is true how do charity shops stay open if they only stock tat? Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Happened to me at TK the weekend and it is annoying.
    If i want to donate money to charity i know exactly where to find them!!
    It's very cheeky of them. Shop should not be allowed this, it's nothing more than begging at the till, the same as begging at cash machines.

Except it's not. It's totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

But they are not following you around the shop are they? they ask you at the till, if you say no thats the end of it, they also give you the option of bringing home one of their bags(enable ireland) to fill with clothes to donate.

And if someone follows you its harassment, no comparison

That's the point i'm making, If other shop's start doing it do we really want to be going from shop to shop getting asked everywhere.
    There's a time and place for everything and while charities are a good cause you don't want it stuck in your face at every turn. You already cant walk down the street or go do a bit of food shopping these days with charity collectors in your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Nice salary in Enable Ireland.

Charity bosses’ salaries exceed €100k

By Catherine Shanahan
    Monday, September 26, 2011
    AN Irish Examiner survey of the pay packages earned by the heads of leading charities shows most are on salaries ranging from €100,000 to €150,000.
    Of 24 charities canvassed for details of remuneration packages awarded to chief executives, the highest salary was paid by Enable Ireland to its chief executive, Fionnuala O’Donovan.

Ms O’Donovan earns €156,340, despite having waived a pay increase of 2.5% in 2008, and despite taking a further cut in January 2010 to bring her salary into line with the public service cut of 10%.

Kathleen McLoughlin, the chief executive of the Irish Wheelchair Association, was the next-best paid, at €146,191, more than she would earn as a principal officer in the civil service, the grade she was seconded from. She is paid at assistant secretary level, at the top point of the scale.

Justin Kilcullen, the chief executive of Trócaire, was on the same salary but took a 9% pay cut in 2011.

Of those who gave a specific figure rather than a salary range, the lowest-paid chief executive is Jonathan Irwin, head of the Jack and Jill Foundation, which provides care and support for children with severe neurological problems. He is on €88,200.

The survey also revealed:

* Charities have generally not granted a pay increase in the past year.

* Three chiefs executive have a company car.

* Expenses are vouched and relate mainly to travel.

* Bonus payments are rare, although the Irish Hospice Foundation paid its chief executive €17,800 last year.

* Six charities — Arthritis Ireland, Bóthar, Unicef Ireland, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Simon Communities of Ireland and Special Olympics Ireland — refused to reveal details.

Sheila Nordon, the executive director of the Irish Charities and Tax Research, a membership organisation of charities, said that good practice was for charities to include an overall salary figure in their annual reports, as well as a threshold for the maximum amount staff earn.

"Fundamentally, charities depend on public trust and that is the greatest asset a charity has," she said.

Hans Zomer, director of Dóchas, a network of Ireland overseas development agencies, said that while people should demand high quality services from charities, "at the same time they should acknowledge that quality comes at a price".

"Too often, the view is taken that charities are run on a wing and a prayer, and while that may have been the case 20 years ago, now most charities are run as professional businesses, and some are the size of significant companies," he said.

"We think it is very important that the sector is run professionally, by professionals and along professional standards, and that good people are hired to do the job. And remuneration levels should reflect that."

However, he said, Ireland was "way behind" in terms of regulation of the sector, despite the previous government passing a Charities Act in 2009, most of which has not come into effect.

A report released last week by 2into3, a professional services firm focused on the needs of the not-for- profit sector, found that the average cost of raising €1 was 15.4c.

<A style="DISPLAY: block" class="addthis_counter addthis_pill_style addthis_nonzero">5

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfgbidqlmhey/rss2/#ixzz1r6sNHaCn

That's the point i'm making, If other shop's start doing it do we really want to be going from shop to shop getting asked everywhere.
    There's a time and place for everything and while charities are a good cause you don't want it stuck in your face at every turn. You already cant walk down the street or go do a bit of food shopping these days with charity collectors in your face.

It takes about the same length of time as asking if you have a clubcard, it takes you one second to respond no. Don't really see the big inconvience and don't think it will actually become widespread.

• Advertisement

Being honest Id rather being asked in a shop, than on a street corner, where theres so many dodgy dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

^^

In relation to the post about salaries above:

There are so many charities looking for money at the moment...

Times are tough for everyone..

I think what is going to happen in the future (a bit now) is that people want to know the details of the charity they give their money to:

Are the top people on la la salaries?

What % actually goes to the people the charity is for?

I don't have a source, but as far as I know a *charity* can be a registered charity (registered in Ireland as a charity) or represent a charity if as little as 1% of the money is going to the charity.

I think if anything the regulation of companies claiming charity status needs to be reviewed in Ireland.

Being honest Id rather being asked in a shop, than on a street corner, where theres so many dodgy dealers.

It actually surprises me that anyone signs up with chuggers. To me, there's something seriously dodgy about handing over bank details to someone on the street

It actually surprises me that anyone signs up with chuggers. To me, there's something seriously dodgy about handing over bank details to someone on the street

Or cash in general, was watching a rerun on tv3 other

they went around for a made up charity and only two people asked questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I have no problem with charity making it easy to donate, e.g. leaving boxes beside the till as the RNLI, Mountain Rescue, etc., do. As it is not intrusive, with no social / psychological pressure being placed on the customer.

Anything more is irritating. I find it easy to say no, however it would put me off giving to that charity in the future, but not quite as much as chuggers looking for my bank details do (in this case they will never get another cent from me).

BTW The clothes collection bag went in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

If you don't like how a charity is collecting its money, don't give they anything.
    Just like beggars they will give up if they don't collect anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 victormildrew

Fuinseog wrote: »
    some folks feel they are under pressure.its worse than the supermarkets who have someone collecting behind the checkout. hard to say no. now it appears that the cashier is doing the asking.I would turn on my heel and walk out if they asked me.

Yes I would agree that I find collectors trying to snatch your bags to pack them at supermarket check-outs terribly annoying. If you allow them, some small disinterested child packs your eggs at the bottom of a bag and proceeds to pile tins on top.
    Most of the time I have never heard of their team or charity and I do not believe that the money ever ends up in the right hands. I have complained many times to the Manager with no response. Dunnes Stores seem to be the worst culprits.
    If I wish to support the charity or local team I will but I will not be coerced by teenage hustlers chucking my purchases into carrier bags and rattling their boxes for the "service"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Please don't tell me this country has now become so stingy that people are refusing to help those who really need it.

Times are tough yes but come on....if you have the money to go shopping then you can spare a little for those less fortunate.

If you honestly believe yourself to be as badly off as the people charities like Enable Ireland are trying to help then you seriously need to have good look at yourself and stop being so self-centred and self-pitying imo.

People really need to stop over-reacting when it comes to money. It's not like the shop assistant put a gun to the woman's head and demanded she donate.

It's really quite simple to get out of tbh;

Shop assisstant: Would like to donate to XYZ charity?
    Customer: Not today thanks, I don't have the money unfortunatly.
    SA: No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

some folks feel they are under pressure.its worse than the supermarkets who have someone collecting behind the checkout. hard to say no. now it appears that the cashier is doing the asking.I would turn on my heel and walk out if they asked me.
    Why? Simply say no. It is so easy. Two letters. One consonant and one vowel. N. O. People who feel so pressured by a simple question are normally only full of hang ups about themselves. Nothing is easier than saying a polite No to a simple question. Different story when they start a pushy selling pitch but this is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

they do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They get paid quite well and get to travel around the country with bed and board provided.

they do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They get paid quite well and get to travel around the country with bed and board provided.

I know that and that's why i have never signed up with a chugger.

Yes I would agree that I find collectors trying to snatch your bags to pack them at supermarket check-outs terribly annoying. If you allow them, some small disinterested child packs your eggs at the bottom of a bag and proceeds to pile tins on top.
    Most of the time I have never heard of their team or charity and I do not believe that the money ever ends up in the right hands. I have complained many times to the Manager with no response. Dunnes Stores seem to be the worst culprits.
    If I wish to support the charity or local team I will but I will not be coerced by teenage hustlers chucking my purchases into carrier bags and rattling their boxes for the "service"

most people pay them not to pack the bags for this very reason.
    very few can walk past them without feeling uncomfortable.

this country has an incredible amount of charities and people doing street or supermarket collections. you cannot give to them all and folks do feel under pressure.

I for one do not give to teenagers shaking a bucket in my face as I believe they will take a cut for themselves.

BTW does Enable Ireland produce a list of how much they received in donations and where it all went?
    I believe TK Maax is looking to reach a target of 250 K , whether that be for one branch or nationwide I am not sure. they will surely make that target as most people will pay up, but it will be interesting to see does it affect their sales. some people will protest at the till, while the majority just will just not shop there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bluntyeyedfool

Robbo wrote: »
    To the swivel eyed loons that Talk To Joe

HEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I caught the end of it, classic Liveline.

When they're ringing up your purchase, they ask if you want to give money to Enable Ireland. To the swivel eyed loons that Talk To Joe, this is akin to putting a gun to your head and asking for your firstborn in blood sacrifice. I mean you've already given a passable impression of sentient human capable of independent living by rocking up to the altar of commerce, surely you're able to say no. If not, the ward of court system beckons.

I signed in just to thank that. Some posts are that damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shivdaspiv

I don't agree with being asked at the tills either. I do give to charity when i feel i can afford to and i find it very hard to walk past homeless people without giving something. I buy almost all of my clothes in charity shops and contribute to charity by doing so.
    However if more and more shops started getting involved in these schemes then i would find myself feeling more and more uncomfortable and annoyed whenever i genuinely had counted the pennies i needed to buy my food shopping for example, and was then asked to donate.
    I hope Tesco do not get on the bandwagon :eek:
    I know lots of people are saying it's easy to say No, but everybody is different and finds different things more uncomfortable, just because its easy for you to "just say no" it does not mean it is the same for everybody, especially people who do give to charity whenever they can afford.
    It is always a good thing bringing up the topic of charity and reminding people though. Giving bags for the old clothes or even just a box by the till i certainly agree with.

• Advertisement

I caught the end of it, classic Liveline.

When they're ringing up your purchase, they ask if you want to give money to Enable Ireland. To the swivel eyed loons that Talk To Joe, this is akin to putting a gun to your head and asking for your firstborn in blood sacrifice. I mean you've already given a passable impression of sentient human capable of independent living by rocking up to the altar of commerce, surely you're able to say no. If not, the ward of court system beckons.

So Cllr. Nolan is a loon along with anyone else, usually the small man, who has a problem and cannot resolve it.Bravo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Please don't tell me this country has now become so stingy that people are refusing to help those who really need it.

Times are tough yes but come on....if you have the money to go shopping then you can spare a little for those less fortunate.

If you honestly believe yourself to be as badly off as the people charities like Enable Ireland are trying to help then you seriously need to have good look at yourself and stop being so self-centred and self-pitying imo.

People really need to stop over-reacting when it comes to money. It's not like the shop assistant put a gun to the woman's head and demanded she donate.

It's really quite simple to get out of tbh;

Shop assisstant: Would like to donate to XYZ charity?
    Customer: Not today thanks, I don't have the money unfortunatly.
    SA: No problem.

Agree 1000%

Yes, times are hard. Yes, some people are living hand to mouth. Yes, some people have recently lost their jobs. But my God, think of YOUR financial problems, and then think of how it must be to be the parent of a child with physical disability.

Think about how hard and expensive it would be for YOU to have to install wheel chair ramps in your house/front door/back door/garden etc. Or having to get the heights of EVERYTHING in your kitchen and bathroom adjusted so that they are wheelchair accessible. Or having to get walls knocked thru, and door frames widened so that wheel chairs can fit thru them. Think of how much it would cost to HAVE to buy a wheelchair friendly van over buying any old banger, so that your child can go to school or their rehab sessions. Think about the cost of having to install one of those stair chair lift thingys so that your child can get to their bedroom or the bathroom unaided. Think about having to get your entire bathroom redone so that it has a shower stall that a wheel chair can be wheeled into.

Think about all those things, and then go on and have a good old rant about how traumatic it is so be asked to give Enable Ireland a few bob when you are out shopping. Go on. I dare you.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree 1000%

Yes, times are hard. Yes, some people are living hand to mouth. Yes, some people have recently lost their jobs. But my God, think of YOUR financial problems, and then think of how it must be to be the parent of a child with physical disability.

Think about how hard and expensive it would be for YOU to have to install wheel chair ramps in your house/front door/back door/garden etc. Or having to get the heights of EVERYTHING in your kitchen and bathroom adjusted so that they are wheelchair accessible. Or having to get walls knocked thru, and door frames widened so that wheel chairs can fit thru them. Think of how much it would cost to HAVE to buy a wheelchair friendly van over buying any old banger, so that your child can go to school or their rehab sessions. Think about the cost of having to install one of those stair chair lift thingys so that your child can get to their bedroom or the bathroom unaided. Think about having to get your entire bathroom redone so that it has a shower stall that a wheel chair can be wheeled into.

Think about all those things, and then go on and have a good old rant about how traumatic it is so be asked to give Enable Ireland a few bob when you are out shopping. Go on. I dare you.

I will not contribute to any charity that does not reveal how the donations are spent. Why does the CEO of Enable Ireland need such a high salary. surely she could survive on half that i.e 75k.

how does the contribution work if I am paying with my debit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have collected for a charity I believe in myself but was not paid, not would I want to have been. I would find the idea of being asked while paying to be offensive, sure, you can always say no but it is much easier with bag packers etc.

Advertisement