Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online forum

Options
  • 04-04-2012 1:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

hi folks,

just say i wanted to set up a web site where people could upload video content and the site also had a product offering, how would i go about this? is it hard to build would it cost much? many thanks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

That depends on hosting. If you want something large scale it may be worth while getting a server to host it. If you want the website to do well spend some money on the design and keep the content up to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

That depends on hosting. If you want something large scale it may be worth while getting a server to host it. If you want the website to do well spend some money on the design and keep the content up to date.

thanks for your reply, would there be a large cost involved in setting up large scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Do you want to do it yourself or do you want someone to do it for you?

thanks for your reply, would there be a large cost involved in setting up large scale?
    You could do it for 1500 Euro plus 500 quid for someone to design the site and set up the hardware. This would mean that if you can maintain and update the site yourself you would have minimal running costs.
    Another option is to have a company to host your site for a monthly fee. There are so many packages available that its hard to guess a price without knowing exactly what you want to do.

Here are a few reputable hosting companies you could get quotes from
    http://www.justhost.com/
    http://www.bluehost.com/
    http://www.ipage.com/ipage/index.html
    http://digiweb.ie/

For website design I recommend that you get someone experienced. If it was a plumbing business I would offer to make the site for you for 80 Euro but because you want users to stay on your site you need a professional site. The only way to get that is to shell out.

http://www.themarketingcrowd.ie
    have done a good job on a few sites so you could try them for a quote. Since you want to have a forum it may be worthwhile to use an existing forum package.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you need something which is going to scale up as your userbase grows then you'll need to have a site that is built to scale ie. the backend is designed and coded to deal with it.

There are a lot of reputable Irish developers that could assist you, but for you will need to budget accordingly.

One company that has done some pretty large scale stuff is http://www.communicraft.com/en/

HTH

Michele

• Advertisement

Just noticed that there is a related thread that may be of some use to you on the website design end of things http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283992

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I reckon you'd be much better off letting customers upload the Video to Youtube / Vimeo etc and then post it that way. Hosting and stream of Video can be extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'd advise you to make a detailed brief on what you want the website to do, ie to achieve and how you see that happening. Send the brief around to plenty of designers and see what they come back with.

Unless you're tapping in to an already existing large database of users, chances are the forum will be very quiet for a long long time. It takes quite a while for something like Boards or forums even a fraction of its size to build up.

As such, your hosting and server requirements will be minimal. And so too should the set up costs be for something you're just getting off the ground. No point in employing the most expensive company who can build massive scalable sites when it could be years until you reach the point of needing that, if ever.

Cianos wrote: »
    I'd advise you to make a detailed brief on what you want the website to do, ie to achieve and how you see that happening. Send the brief around to plenty of designers and see what they come back with.

Unless you're tapping in to an already existing large database of users, chances are the forum will be very quiet for a long long time. It takes quite a while for something like Boards or forums even a fraction of its size to build up.

As such, your hosting and server requirements will be minimal. And so too should the set up costs be for something you're just getting off the ground. No point in employing the most expensive company who can build massive scalable sites when it could be years until you reach the point of needing that, if ever.

That's true to a point.

If the site is designed to scale or uses existing software that can scale then there's no need to pay for more capacity and services than needed.

However if the site isn't designed to scale etc., then it can be an absolute nightmare upgrading it after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Blacknight wrote: »
    That's true to a point.

If the site is designed to scale or uses existing software that can scale then there's no need to pay for more capacity and services than needed.

However if the site isn't designed to scale etc., then it can be an absolute nightmare upgrading it after the fact.

I presume if it was made in VBulletin for example, it wouldn't be too hard?

• Advertisement

excuse my ignorance folks, im in no way a techie and thanks for all the replys, take linkedin for example, would something like this have been difficult to build?

Cianos wrote: »
    I presume if it was made in VBulletin for example, it wouldn't be too hard?

Aye - that would work pretty well, as it's already got multi-server support builtin.

excuse my ignorance folks, im in no way a techie and thanks for all the replys, take linkedin for example, would something like this have been difficult to build?

Yes, very. They have invested millions to build it and are still building it...

but43r wrote: »
    Yes, very. They have invested millions to build it and are still building it...

do you know who is behind linkedin? is there many investors backing it and what is their revenue stream and would they be making money yet? many many thanks

Linkedin has 150 million members! I was aiming high for you when I suggested investing in professional web design. One step at a time!

do you know who is behind linkedin? is there many investors backing it and what is their revenue stream and would they be making money yet? many many thanks

Linkedin went public not that long ago. Not sure of their earning but I'm pretty sure they are making plenty of money at this stage.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

It was started in late 2002 by a guy called Reid Hoffman. Before he started Linkedin he was on the founding board of directors on company called Paypal which sold to ebay and Reid Hoffman was also the initial angel investor in Facebook (Half a million).

Linkedin trades at 28x EV/EBITDA, Somewhere in excess of 7billion USD market capitalisation. Linkedin earnings had reported revenue of $167.7 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2011, an increase of 105% compared to the fourth quarter of 2010, and the 6th straight quarter of greater than 100% year-over-year growth.

Look to be honest, even trying to start a site like this is wildly nieve, these success stories are akin to the people who win the Euro Millions Twice. Ireland doesn't have the sort of angel and venture capitalists needed to even consider this kind of a play and its very hard raising overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hey OP,

Just wondering what exactly you are looking to build.

Forum with video and a product - just use YouTube for the videos and you could set up a forum along with it, or just a website to showcase your products. You could do it with a few hundred or a few grand, just depends on what you want to set up.

LinkedIn - if you won 120 million in the EuroMillions it might stretch to cover the first year's web hosting costs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

OP,

I might be able to help but only if I can see a brief like a previous poster suggested you make.

It may be a bit ambitious to be hitting a 150 million active members, but you'll definitely want a site that can grow to handle that which will require sizeable investment over time.

Initially, if you're looking for a website to get you started, send me a PM.

Cheers

OP,

I might be able to help but only if I can see a brief like a previous poster suggested you make.

It may be a bit ambitious to be hitting a 150 million active members, but you'll definitely want a site that can grow to handle that which will require sizeable investment over time.

Initially, if you're looking for a website to get you started, send me a PM.

Cheers

cheers, il give more detail when i become a little clearer of what i am doing.

folks, what is your views on teamer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement