Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work not giving me competition prize

Options
  • 04-04-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

A year ago i came runner up in a work competition. I received a voicemail from my boss and several of my colleagues were told if they bucked up their socks they too could be in receipt of a prize like mine some day (valued at 500 euro). To date i have still not received anything. I've gone to my boss weekly to say i don't have it, my area manager says its nothing to do with her, i've complained to hr about it, all nothing. Even my colleagues have been syaing ah you know well you'll never get that, thats the kind of sh!te company we work for.

Any advice? I'm pretty annoyed over it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Small claims court , you are owed it and if they wont give it to you the court will make them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Small claims court , you are owed it and if they wont give it to you the court will make them

For employment issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Eoin wrote: »
    For employment issues?

its possible if its a compitition first and foremost and not tied directly to the employees contract/conditions of emplyment. so i would assume the SCC would be the jurisdiction.

However if the Compitition was actually tied into your contract similiar to a proformance related bonus in that "the top 3 earners in each department get a X" then i would think it would fall under the payment of wages acts

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No its not tied into my contract. The competition was open to about 1000 employees and there were three winners.

Is there any legislation that forces them to give me the prize?

The small claims court option would make me a bit nervous as i'd feel i was marked as a troublemaker and be next in the firing line. I guess if that was the only option though i would try it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there any legislation that forces them to give me the prize?

The small claims court option would make me a bit nervous as i'd feel i was marked as a troublemaker and be next in the firing line. I guess if that was the only option though i would try it

Ahh, on one hand you're looking for legislation. On the other you know you're going to be marked if you bring it up.

How much is your job and happiness at work worth to you?

How much is the prize worth? Yes, I know you named its value. What what's it really worth to you?

Your employer has already lost your trust by not giving you the prize when they said they would. Nothing they can do now will repair that.

Oh ... and if you're thinking about courts etc - what proof do you have that you were the winner?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did the other 'winners' receive their prizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Justmary i came here simply looking for advice because i do not know to further proceed.

I have no physical proof that i won, but as i said it was left on a voicemail by my area manager and i was paraded through the company as someone to look up to for winning so its widely known that i had won.

Spurious yes the other two received their prizes which were of a greater value than mine.

As i said i was told i'd won, but received nothing. I kept telling my boss i hadn't received anything until it became clear they weren't doing a thing to sort it out, i then went to the area manager who passed it off as nothing to do with them, i then went to hr who said they knew nothing about it (to be fair it was year ago and competitions aren''t run by hr) but would look into it, and still received nothing. Hr have had the complaint for a while now and have nothing new to tell me.

So is there a way to receive the prize or do i have to accept that they don't have to give it to me and to try to get it means probably losing my job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I do think that this is a lost cause after a year.

And I commiserate with you on your issue and poor management team.

But this doe seem to me to be a case of "they cannot be arsed" rather than a deliberate decision not to pay.

If you do want to follow up, find out who actually ran / sponsored / championed the competition and address your query to them rather than using the chain of command that has failed you. It is entirely possible that they are unaware that the prize has not been paid.

Another option would be to track this through the finance department, asking them to sort of the payroll error that resulted in non payment of your prize.

Is this an annual competition? If so bring up the non-payment at the launch of next years prize.

"Under no circumstance mention or resort to legal resources for something as minor as this, if you enjoy your job and want to keep it long term"

BTW how much was the prize?

A softly softly approach is advised.

Advertisement