Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60Hz 2ms or 120Hz 5ms for gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

yep but watch out for bleeding on those 120 Hz screens, I've had two already and both had really bad bleeding on the sides and corners, i had an acer and lg

120 Hz > 60 Hz

2-5ms unnoticeable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They don't make LG W2363D 120 Hz £D 1080p any more but try to get something similar. I have one here and it is amazing. was like 180e, got HD, 120hz and 3d which I think is a steal.

120 hz does make a difference, things are smoother. I don't think it is as much a difference as people say but it is a difference. Pro gamers swear by it, won't even play on less.

2,3 5,ms can't see it making much of a difference. What you really want is 0 input lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have that model as well and it is great
    the only problem I have is when the light is flashing blue because I forgot to turn it off and it freaks me out when I wake up in the middle of the night :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haha I am always sure to turn that sucker off, I like the noise :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheMadMan697

I haven't used a 120Hz monitor but from what i hear its is much much smoother even on 2d desktop applications. I would not be worried about the 8 ms vs 2 ms thing to be honest. I think it makes next to no difference. I think Input lag would be more of an issue. If a screen has high input lag it will be useless for FPS games.

EDIT: Be careful with input lag on IPS panels. I have a HP LP2475w IPS panel and tftcentral.co.uk rated it as 24 ms input lag. When I compare it to my other TN panel side by side I can defiantly notice the delay. Using it normally I don't really notice it but I'm still aware that its there which bugs me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Figured this might be relevant. In my quest to buy a 120Hz monitor for under €200, I ended up buying this: Hanns G HS 233. Cost me €202.42 overall including shipping etc. Had to pay by bank transfer. It's due to arrive on Tuesday. I have absolutely no experience of the monitor or even the brand, and I could find very little info on it, except for a few reviews which seemed positive. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes, although I won't be able to test it properly until I finish exams in mid-May.
    Anyways, here's a list of 120Hz monitors which got posted around about a year ago (so there have been a few new ones since):

A few of these, such as the LG W2363D or the BenQ XL2420T, seem to come highly regarded by gamers. My advice is keep an eye out for 2nd-hand ones for sale, as some of these are stupidly expensive new.

How did the HannG work out?

I'm keen to go 120 as well, and interested on what its like. Keep us posted.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

glynf wrote: »
    How did the HannG work out?

I'm keen to go 120 as well, and interested on what its like. Keep us posted.:)

Well, tbh, technically I don't really know :o. It arrived fine, and seems fine, tested it via laptop HDMI but I can't test 120Hz from my laptop, as I only have HDMI and VGA out. I think DVI-D is the only interface which supports 120Hz (correct me if I'm wrong). I intend to build a desktop once I finish my exams, but I won't let myself do it before that :D, so at the moment the monitor's still in the box! If you're interested, the price on the site I ordered from has actually dropped another €40. Not sure why. With shipping, they cost €160 now, instead of €200, which sucks for me, as I could have waited until I was finished exams to buy the monitor as well! Oh well.

Thanks for the update, that monitor is a steal:eek:

DVI-D and Displayport do 120hz @ 1080, and HDMI 1.4a can do 120hz @ 720 i think..

Wise move holding off till the exams are over too:D gl with same.

Thanks for the update, that monitor is a steal:eek:

DVI-D and Displayport do 120hz @ 1080, and HDMI 1.4a can do 120hz @ 720 i think..

Wise move holding off till the exams are over too:D gl with same.

TY :). There's surprisingly little info on the monitor anywhere, but here are a few reviews and threads. The monitor seems to go by a few different names (so does the company!); HannsG HS233, Hanns G. HS233, Hannstar HS233, HannsG HS233H3B.
    thread on [h]ardforum
    thread on pcmonitors.org
    techradar review
    itreviews review
    numerique.fr review
    pclab.pl half-review.
    Some light reading :p

That is a great price! /steals bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think Hannstar is a panel maker. The replacement LCD screen for my netbook had their name on it.

reviews look good, looks like a brilliant deal. 142e delivered. Thinking about it.

reviews look good, looks like a brilliant deal. 142e delivered. Thinking about it.

Dunno about the €142, they charged me €31.98 for shipping and handling, and I only got that quote after I emailed them. In fact, we conducted the entire sale via email as European customers can only pay via bank transfer or cash-on-delivery. I opted for bank transfer as COD would have incurred an extra €20 charge (afair).

TheAmateur wrote: »

Dunno about the €142, they charged me €31.98 for shipping and handling, and I only got that quote after I emailed them. In fact, we conducted the entire sale via email as European customers can only pay via bank transfer or cash-on-delivery. I opted for bank transfer as COD would have incurred an extra €20 charge (afair).
    Dunno, when I choose Ireland it says shipping is 12.50, weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

That hannsG is a nice bargain, didn't spot it when I was on my own crusade for a new monitor last week. I must have spent 5 hours trying to figure out the difference between active and passive 3d monitors and nvidias solution, ATI's solution and 3rd party solutions.

I must build a new PC this year (holding out for Ivy bridge) and I currently have an ATI 4870. I wasn't too keen on locking myself into having to get an Nvidia (DVI Dual link with its own custom pair of glasses) or ATI's solution (Display port only), because I would be forever more need to buy that brand if I wanted to keep 3d on the monitor. In the end I found a nice samsung that comes with the glasses but uses DVI Dual link with its own 3rd party 3D drivers. On top of that it supports 3d from the PS3/Blueray over HDMI, something many 120hz monitors do not actually support (especially the Nvidia 3d ones). Its the same panel as the higher end models apparently but uses DVI instead of display port.

I'm hoping for a big step up over my 4 year old samsung 220bw, people say the input lag, response times, color and 120hz are all good in it. Its also supposed to have better viewing angles than standard TN's. I'll be interested to see, my brother got a IPS panel and I have to admit its nice, but I think viewing angles and colour accuracy aren't going to make much difference compared to 120hz to me as a gamer. Many people are also saying now that the gap is starting to narrow as IPS monitors start get cheaper and TN improves in higher end gaming models.

Hey you can apply to get the vat back off that monitor from samsung at the mo! save yourself some money

Hey you can apply to get the vat back off that monitor from samsung at the mo! save yourself some money

You my friend just changed this monitor from a bargain into a steal ! Thanks !!!! :D

Enjoy! where's my cut

Good monitor you picked, that or the hannsg would be great hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

Well imitation, that samsung monitor sure looks nice, was trying to decide what screen to get myself, but that looks much better value than the benq XL2420T (which doesnt include 3d glasses).

One question though, the samsung specs states it uses 44w, while the benq only uses 24w. Any idea why power consumption is so much higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

BillyCom wrote: »
    Well imitation, that samsung monitor sure looks nice, was trying to decide what screen to get myself, but that looks much better value than the benq XL2420T (which doesnt include 3d glasses).

One question though, the samsung specs states it uses 44w, while the benq only uses 24w. Any idea why power consumption is so much higher?

Couldn't tell you for sure, might just be down sloppy electronics, after all 20w isn't much in the grand scheme of things. I would guess either A. It is just more of a hog. B. Somebody is tell porkys in the specs C. The samsung panel is extra bright. The URL is for the 750, which is the next model up, it is apparently the same panel according to some. Anyway, apparently its quite bright for a TN panel.

The included glasses is one of the biggest pluses for me, the BenQ was nearly purchased actually, but I was feeling fustrated about the fact I would by buying something 3D cable without the glasses or a Nvidia card.

Well I didn't notice it was available over at hwvs before, but just checked now and I'm in luck :D

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp

- Seems to be a good price there.

imitation,

Good luck with the new monitor, please post a quick review when you get it. I'm looking at three SA950D's for eyefinity, and keen to see how you find the colours & backlight quality etc. on the 700.

BillyCom wrote: »
    Well I didn't notice it was available over at hwvs before, but just checked now and I'm in luck :D

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp

- Seems to be a good price there.

Oof thats cheap, never thought to check hwvs. At least my shipping was free, and the VAT back will take the sting out of it.
    imitation,

Good luck with the new monitor, please post a quick review when you get it. I'm looking at three SA950D's for eyefinity, and keen to see how you find the colours & backlight quality etc. on the 700.

Will do, I think the nicest feeling upgrade I ever made was when I switched to a 22" TFT, so I'm eager to see if a new LED 120hz screen provides the same or not. I'm also eager to see what my older rig can handle with the the Tridef 3d driver, I'm guessing its going to be a horror show, but at least I can plug in the PS3 if 3D gaming turns out to be all that.

Edit: heres some reviews for the curious

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/electronics-gadgetry-reviews/10171-samsung-s23a700d-120hz-3d-monitor-review.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644062

Just ordered 3 of the SA950D's off Amazon.de, got the for 514, wanay cheaper than UK price with exchange rate factored in.

I'm on 3 x 22" 1680 x 1050's, so I can imagine I'll be more than pleasantly suprised as well:)

imitation wrote: »
    Oof thats cheap, never thought to check hwvs. At least my shipping was free, and the VAT back will take the sting out of it.

Will do, I think the nicest feeling upgrade I ever made was when I switched to a 22" TFT, so I'm eager to see if a new LED 120hz screen provides the same or not. I'm also eager to see what my older rig can handle with the the Tridef 3d driver, I'm guessing its going to be a horror show, but at least I can plug in the PS3 if 3D gaming turns out to be all that.

Edit: heres some reviews for the curious

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/electronics-gadgetry-reviews/10171-samsung-s23a700d-120hz-3d-monitor-review.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644062

well I'll be ordering screen along with a new build pc, so shipping is already a committed cost ;)

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.79
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€121.49
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€41.46
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€104.02
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€120.74
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.99
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€488.91
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R schwarz, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€96.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 800W|€86.28
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.12
    Samsung SyncMaster S23A700D "3D" inkl. 3D-Brille|€234.50
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1634.92

only problem now is the GPU, all gtx 680s availability > 7 days :mad:

So I don't know how long I could be waiting if I place order & transfer the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

your eyes cant tell the difference once you go higher than 100hz

So my screen arrived yesterday, getting post from Germany over a bank holiday aint fast, thats for sure. When I opened the box I was pretty peeved to see the 3d glasses were cracked. Naturally this led to an hour or two of wailing and nashing of teeth, emailing the supplier and trying to bum another pair off somebody. Anyway, glasses are going back and no replacement could be borrowed, so I can't really speak for the 3d of things.

When I setup the monitor I was pleased by how thin it is, it doesnt have a vesa mount though, which is kind of annoying as I have some nice adjustable stands that would be perfect for the monitor. The Dual link DVI cable supplied is a bit shorter than average, which ment a bit of desk rearranging. The monitor itself was flawless (makes the broken glasses even more inexplicable) no broken pixels.

Turning on the monitor I was pleased (and a little blinded by )its brightness. Compared to my old Syncmaster 225bw its far brighter. I had to turn it down a fair bit, as its all well in good in a showroom, but very hard on the eyes for prolonged use. I'm still trying to figure out calibrations etc, I must borrow a sypder off a friend to get it just right I think. The backlight is pretty even, theres a small dark patch by the off button, but I can't forsee my eyes looking down there too much.

Compared to my old TN the viewing angles are quite good, no big color distortions if you move your head up or down 2 inchs like on my old screen. Colors are bright and vivid. Compared to an IPS screen its not too far off, still has some viewing angle issues, but I think I would take this and 120hz over 60hz and IPS. Theres defintely a bigger jump in picture quality from my old TN to this screen than there is from this screen to an IPS.

The screen is also glossy, which helps its clarity, but does make it a bit of a pain to use with the curtains open. There's no reflection issues with a 80w bulb high in the background in the room at night though.

120hz was picked up straight away and makes a nice difference in windows, cursor movements, scrolling is a fair bit smother. I launched a few games and tried it out, its definitely is smoother, but my PC has a bit of trouble trying pump out 120fps in anything new.

Then I started skyrim after tweaking the resolution up from my old syncmasters 1680x1050. At first it was nice, getting maybe 70-80fps indoors. Its when I went outside I was truely hit by how nice the newer generation LED monitors are, it was more like staring out a window it was so bright and crisp.

I wasn't particularly blown away by the screen initially, but after an hour or two of use I'm really warming to it. 120hz definitely seems smoother, even if your PC can't go the whole hog. Even at 60fps it seems a bit easier on the eye.

I'll drop by in a week or two once I get my glasses and let you know what I think after a bit more use.

imitation wrote: »
    So my screen arrived yesterday, getting post from Germany over a bank holiday aint fast, thats for sure. When I opened the box I was pretty peeved to see the 3d glasses were cracked. Naturally this led to an hour or two of wailing and nashing of teeth, emailing the supplier and trying to bum another pair off somebody. Anyway, glasses are going back and no replacement could be borrowed, so I can't really speak for the 3d of things.

When I setup the monitor I was pleased by how thin it is, it doesnt have a vesa mount though, which is kind of annoying as I have some nice adjustable stands that would be perfect for the monitor. The Dual link DVI cable supplied is a bit shorter than average, which ment a bit of desk rearranging. The monitor itself was flawless (makes the broken glasses even more inexplicable) no broken pixels.

Turning on the monitor I was pleased (and a little blinded by )its brightness. Compared to my old Syncmaster 225bw its far brighter. I had to turn it down a fair bit, as its all well in good in a showroom, but very hard on the eyes for prolonged use. I'm still trying to figure out calibrations etc, I must borrow a sypder off a friend to get it just right I think. The backlight is pretty even, theres a small dark patch by the off button, but I can't forsee my eyes looking down there too much.

Compared to my old TN the viewing angles are quite good, no big color distortions if you move your head up or down 2 inchs like on my old screen. Colors are bright and vivid. Compared to an IPS screen its not too far off, still has some viewing angle issues, but I think I would take this and 120hz over 60hz and IPS. Theres defintely a bigger jump in picture quality from my old TN to this screen than there is from this screen to an IPS.

The screen is also glossy, which helps its clarity, but does make it a bit of a pain to use with the curtains open. There's no reflection issues with a 80w bulb high in the background in the room at night though.

120hz was picked up straight away and makes a nice difference in windows, cursor movements, scrolling is a fair bit smother. I launched a few games and tried it out, its definitely is smoother, but my PC has a bit of trouble trying pump out 120fps in anything new.

Then I started skyrim after tweaking the resolution up from my old syncmasters 1680x1050. At first it was nice, getting maybe 70-80fps indoors. Its when I went outside I was truely hit by how nice the newer generation LED monitors are, it was more like staring out a window it was so bright and crisp.

I wasn't particularly blown away by the screen initially, but after an hour or two of use I'm really warming to it. 120hz definitely seems smoother, even if your PC can't go the whole hog. Even at 60fps it seems a bit easier on the eye.

I'll drop by in a week or two once I get my glasses and let you know what I think after a bit more use.

Imitation, where are you based? I have 2 spare sets of Samsung glasses & you're more than welcome to a set till you get yours?

• Advertisement

Imitation, where are you based? I have 2 spare sets of Samsung glasses & you're more than welcome to a set till you get yours?

Hey, I'm based in Cork, thanks for the kind offer but I happy enough to wait it out, I'm just too lazy to pick them up and return them to you when I'm done.

How are you finding the SA950s? I must admit, as I'm used usually going up a screen size on monitor upgrade a 27" may have been a nice size to go up to, plus its a darn sexy monitor looks wise.

Advertisement