Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Golf] The Open Championship 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Stenson with an 8 on the last :eek:

I was wondering why the hole was taking so long to finish :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Donald signed the wrong score-card, apparently. Could be DQ'd. Nothing official yet.

*edit*

Not wrong score-card, just entered the wrong score. Still not good news for him.

I don't get these bullsh1t golf rules. There's cameras everywhere I don't see why they can't just verify the score and get on with it

He scored 73. Apparently a 'smudge' on the scorecard. He's still in the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

manual_man wrote: »
    I don't get these bullsh1t golf rules. There's cameras everywhere I don't see why they can't just verify the score and get on with it

They are far from bullshít rules. They're completely necessary to avoid people cheating on any and every occasion. There is a level of honesty amongst professional golfers that is not evident in any other sport in my opinion.

Guys have called themselves up for barely touching a ball and no one else around might have even seen it. It makes a fresh change from seeing cyclists cheating to win the Tour de France or footballers diving to win a penalty.

If them rules were not in place then golf could easily become one of the most corrupt games in the world. It is relatively easy to 'cheat' at an amateur level. Guys would be throwing rounds to raise their handicap with much more regularity and then all of a sudden they win the Captain's prize in their golf club.

• Advertisement

I'm not arguing with the need for rules jimmy. I just think in a professional environment where these things are double checked anyway common sense can be applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Maybe so but with the amount of money at stake and the fact that he is the world number 1 they have to take every single measure to make sure that he is or isn't disqualified.

They are far from bullshít rules. They're completely necessary to avoid people cheating on any and every occasion. There is a level of honesty amongst professional golfers that is not evident in any other sport in my opinion.

Guys have called themselves up for barely touching a ball and no one else around might have even seen it. It makes a fresh change from seeing cyclists cheating to win the Tour de France or footballers diving to win a penalty.

If them rules were not in place then golf could easily become one of the most corrupt games in the world. It is relatively easy to 'cheat' at an amateur level. Guys would be throwing rounds to raise their handicap with much more regularity and then all of a sudden they win the Captain's prize in their golf club.

While I agree with this, you have to admit that with so much money at stake, and with millions of people around the world wanting to watch the world's #1 golfer, it's a shame that accidentally putting down the wrong number could result in him no longer being in the tournament.

I completely accept "rules are rules", and it really is great that pros are made follow the same laws as yourself and myself on the local Par 3... but in cases like this, when it's blatantly obvious that he can't cheat by lowering his score and it was all just a mistake, it would be nice if they had protocol to deal with it without DQ'ing him.

Saying that... I dropped Donald about 20mins before the deadline, so to hell with him! :pac:

Maybe so but with the amount of money at stake and the fact that he is the world number 1 they have to take every single measure to make sure that he is or isn't disqualified.

Yes ie check the video footage if there's any doubt. A pro golfer knows there's absolutely no way they'd get away with it, there's no reason for them to do it, we wouldn't be human if we didn't make the odd mistake, like I said in a pro game where everything is double and triple checked anyway I don't see why they have to punish it with disqualification, maybe just give them a fine or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jason Day withdrew. :(

• Advertisement

Mickleson with a strong back 9 to get himself into the mix. -1 with a birdie chance on the 18th.

ha Luke Donald on a Stormer -5 to get back to +2. a bit late son!

Bo Van Pelt with a -8 round one off the course record including a hole in one on the 16th! A'boy Bo!

I was about to pick him :pac:

Oostheizen (spelling?) just hit a bloody albatross. Fantastic. Puts him in the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Points still not updated. Maybe they'll be there before the next tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Myself and a mate lumped pretty big on Oosthuizen to win outright about 30 seconds before the albatross. Not even that into golf but stayed up till the finish to watch him lose on the 2nd playoff hole to some tool with pink clubs (albeit with an incredible shot out of the woods). Annoyed doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

Points updated :D bingo I'm in first place :)

And by a country mile too. Congrats!

Comfortable mid-table for me. Plenty to play for yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Not a good start for me! :o

Three days to go before the US Open everybody. Rory will not be my main man this time.

• Advertisement

Yeah just got an email from them. Rory can sit this one out, as far as I'm concerned. I'll have more faith in him for the "home" major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

Accuracy is key here:D I have 3 players picked so far..................decisions:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Bump for the Open!

Putting my marbles on Westwood this time. Watch him miss the cut.

Advertisement