Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV owner gathering - Sandyford

• 04-04-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

I just thought I'd share some pictures that were taken when a few EV owners met up in Sandyford Luas P+R on Saturday just gone. They have 3 X dual charging posts in one car park and another has 1 X dual charging post, so we thought it was a good place to meet and say hello in person.

We had 5 Nissan's and one BMW EV. I enjoyed seeing 5 Leaf's in one place, but I think for me and everyone else the BMW EV was the most interesting car there!

One of the guys there is doing 110km each way on his daily commute and absolutely loves his car. He also keeps a blog, some might find it an interesting read

http://selfficiency.wordpress.com/

199007.JPG

199008.JPG

199010.JPG

Comments

I'm sure there's a thread or a link to the build of that BMW on here somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a thread or a link to the build of that BMW on here somewhere :)

Yes there is, the owner has a few hundred posts on Boards. Nice guy and he did a great job on the conversion of that BMW. Slightly envious that I wouldn't have the knowledge and skills to do what he has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

110km each way / day in a Leaf ... jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

110km each way / day in a Leaf ... jaysus.
    Isn't a Leaf quieter than an equivalent ICE?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Isn't a Leaf quieter than an equivalent ICE?

I'm not talking about the comfort, more like you see a road closed sign and you can't drive around it becuase it adds KM's to your journey :)

52000km / year in a Leaf, wonder how long it takes to go from 100% range down to 80% and you lose your ability to get to work on one charge.

My current car is far cheaper to run than a leaf.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about the comfort, more like you see a road closed sign and you can't drive around it becuase it adds KM's to your journey :)

52000km / year in a Leaf, wonder how long it takes to go from 100% range down to 80% and you lose your ability to get to work on one charge.

The Leaf was available in Japan a good bit earlier than the rest of the world. I have heard one owner in Japan has already reached 250,000 kilometers on their Leaf by averaging 6 X fast charges per day. The car and battery were still going fine of course, the degradation I wasn't told except that it was what they expected. But to be honest that does seem reassuring to me as fast charging with 50kW is the hardest on the battery, doing it six times per day and still reaching 250,000 kilometers seems alright to me.

Some of the owners I know have started getting their Leaf's serviced now as well. Some of them have asked to be shown the reading on the battery capacity the diagnostic comes back with. So far there has been zero degradation with the highest mileage I know about personally being 25,000 kilometers in the first year.

The person in question has about 3 fast chargers along his route that he could use if he had to divert. The AA also carry 4kWh packs to charge you at the side of the road. I guess it would also depend on where the road was closed and how much of diversion a person had to take. No one I know is running into these issues though and the charging network becomes more extensive month after month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

so we thought it was a good place to meet and say hello in person.

199008.JPG

How did you say hello in person if you all wore white bags on your heads?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    How did you say hello in person if you all wore white bags on your heads?

We only put them on when we were taking pictures ;)

The Leaf was available in Japan a good bit earlier than the rest of the world. I have heard one owner in Japan has already reached 250,000 kilometers on their Leaf by averaging 6 X fast charges per day. The car and battery were still going fine of course, the degradation I wasn't told except that it was what they expected. But to be honest that does seem reassuring to me as fast charging with 50kW is the hardest on the battery, doing it six times per day and still reaching 250,000 kilometers seems alright to me.

250,000km on a car in Japan, who is this person, the Average mileage in Japan is incredibly low compared to Europe, around 10000km/year.

250,000km on a car in Japan, who is this person, the Average mileage in Japan is incredibly low compared to Europe, around 10000km/year.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that the first people who buy electric cars may not conform to the average. I also can't offer you incontrovertible proof of what I say. Nissan are very interested in the feedback from Irish owners and in turn as a group of owners you could say we have demanded feedback from Nissan. If you choose not to believe me, I accept that.

• Advertisement

I have to say, keithclancy, that your attitude to EV is coming across as more emotional than rational. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Its not a pretty sight :(DEMOT1.JPG

Compton wrote: »
    Its not a pretty sight :(DEMOT1.JPG

Can I count on your support for an EV sub forum of Motoring so? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Of course! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

My problem with electric cars is that the charging point seems to be at the front in most cases. Is the charging lead long enough to allow you to reverse into a space?
    Shouldn't there be at least the option of a charging point at the rear of the car?

My problem with electric cars is that the charging point seems to be at the front in most cases. Is the charging lead long enough to allow you to reverse into a space?
    Shouldn't there be at least the option of a charging point at the rear of the car?

The BMW EV had a charging port on the front and the back. But yeah the cable that comes with the Leaf is very long, I think it would let you reverse in and stretch the cable around comfortably. I think the Renault Fluence ZE has two charging ports, one on each side as opposed to front or back. So it should also charge comfortably parked either way. If that's your only major gripe, I think you should go out and test drive one today ;)

Renault-Fluence-ZE-electr-007.jpg

2012-renault-fluence-ze-side-view1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Electric car meets just don't match regular car meets do they...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

The BMW EV had a charging port on the front and the back. But yeah the cable that comes with the Leaf is very long, I think it would let you reverse in and stretch the cable around comfortably. I think the Renault Fluence ZE has two charging ports, one on each side as opposed to front or back. So it should also charge comfortably parked either way. If that's your only major gripe, I think you should go out and test drive one today ;)

Renault-Fluence-ZE-electr-007.jpg
    I've driven the Leaf and enjoyed it but living in the Wesht means it's not a runner as yet.

smash wrote: »

ICE or EV, not everyone see's the same thing in the same car. We were happy anyway, I think that's all that really counts! It probably won't be that long before EV's start showing up at regular Boards motor meet-ups.

Well, a Tesla or Fisker model would have spruced it up visually, EVs or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Anyone have a link to that? Can't seem to find it searching...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

It's because hardly anyone bothers to come to regular car meet, while with EVs you get like good few % of ones registered in country...

September1 wrote: »
    It's because hardly anyone bothers to come to regular car meet, while with EVs you get like good few % of ones registered in country...

Actually there are far more people at any "regular" car meet. Like 2-3times more cars..??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Isnt motor tax and fuel really expensive in Holland? Unless you've taken the engine out and push it verywhere I dont see how it's possible.

I'm goign to guess your figures are based on using depreciation on a car you bought for €1000 thats finished depreciating Vs buyign a brand new Leaf? If so that a large amount of number fudging and not as simple as is made out with a short staement that its cheaper to tun than a leaf.
    If you could take a brand new €30k Leaf and any new €30k ICE car and run it cheaper I'd be interested to see how.
    199010.JPG

I'd say you'd get an interestign reaction from the first Gard that spots that in the back if you drove around without the parcel shelf. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Actually there are far more people at any "regular" car meet. Like 2-3times more cars..??!

There are maybe in best case 200 EVs so 6 cars makes 3% of population, that would require 60.000 ICEs to make a comparable meet out of around 2m in Irish Republic.

I'd say you'd get an interestign reaction from the first Gard that spots that in the back if you drove around without the parcel shelf. :-)

I hadn't thought about that, but I think it's possible they might act first and ask questions later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

199010.JPG

What......... no subs???? ::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I hope the BMW isn't running on Li-ions. It would make an impressive fireball if rear ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

There are maybe in best case 200 EVs so 6 cars makes 3% of population, that would require 60.000 ICEs to make a comparable meet out of around 2m in Irish Republic.

Good point! That's a great meet.
    This picture will have a nice flavour in a few years.

Most people don't realize it, but EVs are today what petrol cars were 110-120 years ago.

Back in the days, the first automobile drivers had the same range issue, and there were not many petrol stations around! Cars were slow and expensive, while with your good horse was faster and you could stop every few mile in a farm to feed him ;)

History repeats itself and we should learn from that. Thanks to this crown of visionaries to be here to share that with us soon-or-later-followers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

@Limbo123 : Had to leave out the subs:) that said if the energy from that battery were channeled into an amp ... :eek:

@stimpson : The battery is comprised of 192 Lithium Iron Phosphate cells. Unlike oxide cathode chemistries they do not release free oxygen during failure or impact damage and hence do not burn. And yes I have tested that myself. A lot. Although not as energy dense as the oxide cathodes they have incredible cycle life. Recent tests have seen them complete 8000 cycles and still kicking.

Anyone interested in watching me make a complete ass of myself over a 2 year span can check out www.evbmw.com

And what? I dont get the point, car meets are about the interesting cars and people that attend and crucially the amount and variety. 5 very similar EVs isnt much of a meet. Maybe thats all that can be reasonably expected in Ireland, but why should anyone care about the % vs population... such a tweed jacket assessment.
    Lutecia wrote: »
    Most people don't realize it, but EVs are today what petrol cars were 110-120 years ago.

Back in the days, the first automobile drivers had the same range issue, and there were not many petrol stations around! Cars were slow and expensive, while with your good horse was faster and you could stop every few mile in a farm to feed him ;)

History repeats itself and we should learn from that. Thanks to this crown of visionaries to be here to share that with us soon-or-later-followers :)
    So many ironies here in a short post. Let me see... are you aware that we had EVs at the dawn of the motor car 170years ago? Many of "the first automobile drivers" were EV drivers.

The first widespread rollout, a "fleet of EV cars" was a taxi company in New York in 1897.
    EV today are not what petrol cars were 120years ago at all, they have kept pace and unsurprisingly are exactly what they were to petrol cars then, inferior. They may get better, but right now, they are just not (in general applications). Current EVs are either the sum of 150years (birth of EV cars proper) or 60 years (renewed attempts to re-introduce) of design and evolution take your pick, not some turn of the 21st century unfledged technology.

To state "history repeats itself" as a proponent of EVs shows how tragically ignorant you are of transport history. If history repeats itself then what killed EVs then will kill them now: price of engine vs ICE, cost of fuel and crippling range problems.

I dont want to be overly down on EVs, but the tripe that surrounds them grates. They have an application in intra-metro transport (and at that in situations not served by public transport), but I for one would rather see dispersed populations than highly concentrated pop zones.

And what? I dont get the point, car meets are about the interesting cars and people that attend and crucial the amount and variety. 5 very similar EVs isnt much of a meet. Maybe thats all that can be reasonably expected in Ireland, but why should anyone care about the %?
    Without meaning to sound smart, i'd find both the Leaf and its owners far more interesting than most cars/owners. This is new & exciting stuff, to me at least.
    EV today are not what petrol cars were 120years ago at all, they have kept pace and unsurprisingly are exactly what they were to petrol cars then, inferior. They may get better, but right now, they are just not (in general applications). Current EVs are either the sum of 150years (birth of EV cars proper) or 60 years (renewed attempts to re-introduce) of design and evolution take your pick, not some turn of the 21st century unfledged technology.
    How are they inferior? They currently lack the range of ICE, but that's about it as far as I can see. On the other hand, EV offers a level of refinement and elegance that ICE struggles to match even in luxury cars. Viewed dispassionately, explosions pushing pistons down is an inherently rough way to power a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Screw that though.

Few thousand noisy horsies lined up or some leccy snore mobiles ...

I remember every second of the opportunity I had to spend with a 599GTB for example.

edit: internal combustion all the way ;)

Without meaning to sound smart, i'd find both the Leaf and its owners far more interesting than most cars/owners. This is new & exciting stuff, to me at least.
    Poll it then? ;)
    I love technology, work in it everyday so perhaps Im tiring of it quicker, but the goals (frugality and dubious environment credentials) and achievements (travelling at 100kph on a motorway to assuredly get to the next charging point) are basically inverted from my own and I would consider myself an enthusiast. Once you get over the "your fuel is the same fuel as my Macbook uses" bit, the rest is shallow and deathly silent. Its like getting excited over the new Tiida or Fiesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

while its exciting to look at an electric car just to see how it ticks, the bmw is about the only interesting thing at that meet really , having 5-6 people standing around talking about how much money theyre all saving and sharing stories about trying to find a charging point within the range given on the display and when new charging points are opening and the glory of 3 phase electricity and all just regurgitating the same thing is not fun.

In the same way that an ICE car meet wouldnt be fun if everybody drove a new octavia, I have no doubt that EV meets will get better when theres more variety but the same cars with the same specs all under warranty so no talk to be had about modding / repairing doesnt sound very fun.

• Advertisement

And what? I dont get the point, car meets are about the interesting cars and people that attend and crucially the amount and variety. 5 very similar EVs isnt much of a meet. Maybe thats all that can be reasonably expected in Ireland, but why should anyone care about the % vs population... such a tweed jacket assessment.

So many ironies here in a short post. Let me see... are you aware that we had EVs at the dawn of the motor car 170years ago? Many of "the first automobile drivers" were EV drivers.

The first widespread rollout, a "fleet of EV cars" was a taxi company in New York in 1897.

To state "history repeats itself" as a proponent of EVs shows how tragically ignorant you are of transport history. If history repeats itself then what killed EVs then will kill them now: price of engine vs ICE, cost of fuel and crippling range problems.

I dont want to be overly down on EVs, but the tripe that surrounds them grates. They have an application in intra-metro transport (and at that in situations not served by public transport), but I for one would rather see dispersed populations than highly concentrated pop zones.

MotorMouth did 6 episodes on EV's, one of them was on the history of EV's, very fascinating! Worth a listen to if someone wanted to get some info on the history of EV's

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056349654

As for the meet-up, I never really attended an ICE car meetup before, although I do have a great interest in sports cars. I have however gone to a fair few biker meet-ups and runs. I always felt meet-ups were more about meeting people with similar interests. Sure an EV meet-up in Ireland probably features a lot of very similar cars as you said, it's still enjoyable and has a point for though of us that attend.

Poll it then? ;)
    I love technology, work in it everyday so perhaps Im tiring of it quicker, but the goals (frugality and dubious environment credentials) and achievements (travelling at 100kph on a motorway to assuredly get to the next charging point) are basically inverted from my own and I would consider myself an enthusiast. Once you get over the "your fuel is the same fuel as my Macbook uses" bit, the rest is shallow and deathly silent. Its like getting excited over the new Tiida or Fiesta.
    Never mind the current goals and achievements, that's only marketing. Look instead at the innate qualities of EV. Endless torque, peerless refinement, these are qualities we struggle to get from a V12. I love fast cars too, but EV makes ICE look crude & dated. All we need now are better batteries.

Poll it then? ;)
    I love technology...........

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm not into iphones and all that sort of electronic stuff but I like technology, I find EVs boring as feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Never mind the current goals and achievements, that's only marketing. Look instead at the innate qualities of EV. Endless torque, peerless refinement, these are qualities we struggle to get from a V12. I love fast cars too, but EV makes ICE look crude & dated. All we need now are better batteries.

meh, when my V12 fires I need nothing more :)

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm not into iphones and all that sort of electronic stuff but I like technology, I find EVs boring as feck.
    Is it the concept of EV that you find boring, or just cars like the Leaf/Fluence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

but EV makes ICE look crude & dated.

there have been a lot of advancments in ICE tech, but let me just pander to you, ok even if the drivetrain was all that, why do manufacturers feel the need to differenciate EV vehicles by making them look so ugly and different. You know somethings an electric car because it looks like one. The day they make something like a 7 series or a landcruiser in EV and it looks like an ICE car then they will be comparable. At the moment manufacturers seem to want to promote EV vehicles on paper , but make them as niche as possible in reality

there have been a lot of advancments in ICE tech, but let me just pander to you, ok even if the drivetrain was all that, why do manufacturers feel the need to differenciate EV vehicles by making them look so ugly and different. You know somethings an electric car because it looks like one. The day they make something like a 7 series or a landcruiser in EV and it looks like an ICE car then they will be comparable. At the moment manufacturers seem to want to promote EV vehicles on paper , but make them as niche as possible in reality
    Why are you asking me that? I'm defending the technology, not any particular application.:)

Those things arent a stuggle for a V12 by any stretch, they have been doing that for 100years.
    I dont think EVs make ICE look dated. Comparing like with like, brand new of each and the performance specs of best in class of each, EV doesnt look good. If refinement is "no noise" then yes, very refined. Not having a charging infastruture and not having sufficient range for even my own commute, getting its power bank pounded at the speeds I drive at make EVs look like old world solutions IMO.

Endless torque? Perhaps you are looking at a different Nee-san Leaf, cos this is what Nissan US say:
    The engine generates maximum power of 80 kW / 109 ps at 2730-9800 rpm and maximum torque of 280 Nm at 0-2730 rpm. The vehicle accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h for 11.90 s
    It generates its not overly impressive torque (and definately not endless) from "0" yes, but woopy doo, you cannot even move at 0rpm. One could configure an ICE with a supercharger to do the same, but we dont as its pointless in the realworld, but a marketable side effect to the way an EV motor works.

It weighs about as much as an old 5series BMW, while being smaller and less comfortable while putting down performance stats that can be met by nearly anything with bigger than 3pot 1litre engine. Its just weak.

while its exciting to look at an electric car just to see how it ticks, the bmw is about the only interesting thing at that meet really , having 5-6 people standing around talking about how much money theyre all saving and sharing stories about trying to find a charging point within the range given on the display and when new charging points are opening and the glory of 3 phase electricity and all just regurgitating the same thing is not fun.

In the same way that an ICE car meet wouldnt be fun if everybody drove a new octavia, I have no doubt that EV meets will get better when theres more variety but the same cars with the same specs all under warranty so no talk to be had about modding / repairing doesnt sound very fun.

I have gotten used to combating the myths surrounding the cars themselves, didn't think I'd have to talk about the owners :)

I guess the one thing I've noticed most owners have in common is that they are all technology enthusiasts to one degree or another. However all the EV owners I've met so far are generally all very different to one another and interesting in their own ways. Without going into all the details, they're quite a varied selection of people! In the same way that ICE owners at a meet-up might all stand around talking about how great their car sounds... EV owners will obviously have some discussion of cost savings... I can assure you though the scenario you imagined in your head didn't happen ;)

Just an example of something we might talk about - Plans for battery packs once they do degrade to 80% capacity. Ideas put out there include installing it in your home and using it store night rate electricity and running your home during the day off that stored night rate electricity.

I suppose you might say that also covers cost saving, but just speaking for myself, the technical challenge of doing something like that is what interests me the most. Same way it was asked of the BMW owner how much the car cost to build, but most of us were simply more interested in the technical achievement.

Those things arent a stuggle for a V12 by any stretch, they have been doing that for 100years.
    I dont think EVs make ICE look dated. Comparing like with like, brand new of each and the performance specs of best in class of each, EV doesnt look good. If refinement is "no noise" then yes, very refined. Not having a charging infastruture and not having sufficient range for even my own commute, getting its power bank pounded at the speeds I drive at make EVs look like old world solutions IMO.

Endless torque? Perhaps you are looking at a different Nee-san Leaf, cos this is what Nissan US say:

It generates its not overly impressive torque (and definately not endless) from "0" yes, but woopy doo, you cannot even move at 0rpm. One could configure an ICE with a supercharger to do the same, but we dont as its pointless in the realworld, but a marketable side effect to the way an EV motor works.

It weighs about as much as an old 5series BMW, while being smaller and less comfortable while putting down performance stats that can be met by nearly anything with bigger than 3pot 1litre engine. Its just weak.
    All of this comes down to charging infrastructure/battery technology. Once they get sorted, as they undoubtedly will, I really can't see what ICE will be bringing to the party?

Is it the concept of EV that you find boring, or just cars like the Leaf/Fluence?

I find the Leaf/Fluence etc absolutely depressingly soul destroying. Conceptually the concept of EVs and their inherent benefits that I think you already mentioned are appealing on paper but in practice I think even with perfect batteries they'd be rather sterile.

I can really appreciate technology in many applications, I worked in a place where the process started off with a single ovarian cell from a Chinese Hamster onto which a protein was injected, this was allowed grow/multiply into litres and litres of the stuff which was eventually injected to treat rheumatoid arthritis, I wasn't a fan of biology at school but thought that pretty funky.

Going to the other extreme I think a properly controlled and treated steam boiler can be interesting and almost an achievement when managed correctly to minimise water and fuel use while maximising steam output, I've messed about with lasers to try and use diffraction patterns off wire coils to investigate the regularity of the windings.

I like some statistical stuff even, EVs though, yuk.

I like the way an ICE is less refined when cold and gets oh so smooth as it heats up, an ICE seems almost alive imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

, why do manufacturers feel the need to differenciate EV vehicles by making them look so ugly and different. You know somethings an electric car because it looks like one. The day they make something like a 7 series or a landcruiser in EV and it looks like an ICE car then they will be comparable. At the moment manufacturers seem to want to promote EV vehicles on paper , but make them as niche as possible in reality

Just because you say something doesnt make it true.

The Leaf fits in pretty semlessly with the styling of Nissan's range imo. I'm also failign to see how an electric Kangoo or Fluence looks any different to the ICE versions. Even the Tesla looks broadly the same as the Elise its based on.

I find the Leaf/Fluence etc absolutely depressingly soul destroying. :)

It actually sound like you have your toys and your afraid someone is goign to come take them off you. The hatred and/or fear of Ev's on this forum is comign across as very narrow minded. You;d nearly swear some of you owned oil companies.

I'll probably never own one but I love the thought of them. I like that they exist.Technology and innovation is brilliant. Where would we be if everyoen decided wed advanced enough 100 years ago?

I find the Leaf/Fluence etc absolutely depressingly soul destroying. Conceptually the concept of EVs and their inherent benefits that I think you already mentioned are appealing on paper but in practice I think even with perfect batteries they'd be rather sterile.

I can really appreciate technology in many applications, I worked in a place where the process started off with a single ovarian cell from a Chinese Hamster onto which a protein was injected, this was allowed grow/multiply into litres and litres of the stuff which was eventually injected to treat rheumatoid arthritis, I wasn't a fan of biology at school but thought that pretty funky.

Going to the other extreme I think a properly controlled and treated steam boiler can be interesting and almost an achievement when managed correctly to minimise water and fuel use while maximising steam output, I've messed about with lasers to try and use diffraction patterns off wire coils to investigate the regularity of the windings.

I like some statistical stuff even, EVs though, yuk.

I like the way an ICE is less refined when cold and gets oh so smooth as it heats up, an ICE seems almost alive imo :)
    I have to admit, that's a pretty good answer. Perhaps more applicable to classics than to everyday cars, though?

The Leaf fits in pretty semlessly with the styling of Nissan's range imo........

In fairness to EricC the Leaf looks looney, not in a good way either imo. The Juke looks normal in comparison.

No one notices my car is electric, unless they are aware specifically about the Nissan Leaf. I never get anyone coming over to ask about the car unless I'm plugging it in and it's blatantly obvious it's not a regular diesel / petrol car. When I'm plugging it in to a public charger you would get people coming over and asking about it, usually that's the only time!

My personal opinion of the cars styling is that it is nice. However it won't be long before the VW Golf electric and new Ford Focus electric are on the market. So if you want more mainstream styling you will have the choice!

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-golf-electric-to-use-e-golf-name-43425.html

volkswagen-golf-electric-to-use-e-golf-name-43425-7.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/mar/29/ford-focus-electric-dell-build?newsfeed=true

2013_ford_focus_electric_images_main.jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement