Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moss

• 04-04-2012 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Was walking a gew fields at the weekend checking grass cover etc.
    I noticed a good deal of moss is some fields, worse than before. These fields would have poor enough access and so have never got dung/slurry in my memory anyway.

People talk about lime, slag or just plenty of 18:6:12 to sort it out. I'm wondering about getting a chain harrow. Would this bust the tatch and moss and let more grass through?

What would be the best treatment on old pasture for moss and tatch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

bbam wrote: »
    Was walking a gew fields at the weekend checking grass cover etc.
    I noticed a good deal of moss is some fields, worse than before. These fields would have poor enough access and so have never got dung/slurry in my memory anyway.

People talk about lime, slag or just plenty of 18:6:12 to sort it out. I'm wondering about getting a chain harrow. Would this bust the tatch and moss and let more grass through?

What would be the best treatment on old pasture for moss and tatch?

Moss = acidic soil which means you need lime in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Just got my recommendations for the following soil sample for ground with moss in it.
    ph. 5.6
    phosphrous 7 mg/l index 0
    potassium 44mg/l index 0

I was advised 2 ton of lime per acre plus 3.5 bags of 18.6.12 per acre after that 16 units of p + k until another soil sample is taken.

Hope that gives you an idea of what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

I'd agree that moss= need for lime. I've an Einbock harrow. Mighty machine for tearing up old grass and trash and letting new stuff through. But soil conditions have to be right for growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    I'd agree that moss= need for lime. I've an Einbock harrow. Mighty machine for tearing up old grass and trash and letting new stuff through. But soil conditions have to be right for growing!

Pat,

Is an einbock anyway similar to a chain harrow? I have a beaconfields chain harrow and I used it last weekend on a field that was bad with moss. It brought up more sods than moss!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Pat,

Is an einbock anyway similar to a chain harrow? I have a beaconfields chain harrow and I used it last weekend on a field that was bad with moss. It brought up more sods than moss!

Different animal. I had a chain harrow, but my place is dry, so it used hop off the ground:)
    I bought an Einbock, folds in 3 sections and has spring tines with 5 different settings, easily adjusted. It is a great machine at scratching the surface or digging deep, depending on setting. I was lightly stocked for a few years and some fields only mowed, not grazed. This brought them back really well.
    Father has Pottinger version with pneumatic seeder. That works well also for overseeding.
    I am re-seeding one paddock this year with discs and power harrow and one smaller one with Einbock and spinner as a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I had my grass tested and I have high molybdenum levels, probably due to the limestone bedrock and outcrops and was told not to spred lime as it will increase the levels of molybdenum which can lead to copper deficiencies and associated problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Oldtree wrote: »
    I had my grass tested and I have high molybdenum levels, probably due to the limestone bedrock and outcrops and was told not to spred lime as it will increase the levels of molybdenum which can lead to copper deficiencies and associated problems.

How / where did you get the grass tested oldtree?

And why, if you don't mind asking? Had you seen particular issues, which made you get it tested?

Thanks.

Advertisement