Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book do you recommend to people but you know they'll never read it?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity.

I'd have to say Life of Pi. I've lent it to so many friends and gotten it back about 6 months pages either unopened or abandoned half-way through. They'd love it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Holocaust Martin Gilbert. An excellent if frightening book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Hawkings ' A Brief History Of Time'.

Everyone says they want to read it, very few read past the first few chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Giselle wrote: »

Youre absolutely right, and what annoys me so much about that is that I fall into that catagory due to circumstances. I got sidetracked by work and then forgot where I was despite the fact that I was enjoying it immensely. Really need to re-read it.

I often recommend The Count of Monte Cristo, one of my favourites, but the size generally changes peoples minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hard Times and Bleak House, Charles Dickens

Love them both

Both many seem traumatized by the Leaving Cert in the nineties and didn't like Hard Times and won't touch Dickens again

BBC did an amazing adaptation of Bleak House, it's all up on youtube if you don't want to read it

dr gonzo wrote: »

I often recommend The Count of Monte Cristo, one of my favourites, but the size generally changes peoples minds.

I love that book. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I love that book. :)
    me too excellent book, if your carrying around though people tend to give ya funny looks with the size of it :D

me too excellent book, if your carrying around though people tend to give ya funny looks with the size of it :D

This is one of the reasons I caved, and finally bought a Kindle. You can have six giant tomes on the go, and carry them in your pocket with 1000 other books! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Have it myself and never read past the intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This is one of the reasons I caved, and finally bought a Kindle. You can have six giant tomes on the go, and carry them in your pocket with 1000 other books! :)
    I actually bought a kindle about a month after reading it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Not a book, but a series. I've been trying to get my friends into the Wheel of Time for years and only one has fallen from it. Every last one of them has seen me with one or another of the books at some stage, and when they realise they have to read that x 14, they run away scared. Even my cousin who introduced them to me for my 18th birthday (best gift ever!) quit after the fifth or sixth one. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

xoxyx wrote: »
    Not a book, but a series. I've been trying to get my friends into the Wheel of Time for years and only one has fallen from it. Every last one of them has seen me with one or another of the books at some stage, and when they realise they have to read that x 14, they run away scared. Even my cousin who introduced them to me for my 18th birthday (best gift ever!) quit after the fifth or sixth one. :(
    That's what happened me with that. I really enjoyed the first book, but when I saw how many others there were all I could think was 'That'll take me a year to get through'.

I often recommend House of Leaves, but I know that even flicking through the pages terrifies people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

kylith wrote: »
    That's what happened me with that. I really enjoyed the first book, but when I saw how many others there were all I could think was 'That'll take me a year to get through'.

They're totally worth it. I've read them all twice and some of them three times. Sure, people spend half an hour, three times a week watching Coronation Street for most of their lives. Give that dedication to the Wheel of Time and you'll fly through them. Much better storyline too!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I used to be proud of me when people looked strange at my big books and then I got Kindle... never again I'm going to carry those heavy bricks of books in my bag.
    Love The Count of Monte Cristo, too.

The Master and Margarita is one of my favorite books and I love lending it to friends but I always get it back untouched. The most of my friends can't deal with those crazy Russian names, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. I loved that book so much, found the writing and story so mind blowing that i've given copy's to many people to read and as presents, but not one person has even managed to finish it. Is it really that hard a read?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dr gonzo wrote: »

Started this this evening, only about 40 pages in but already I love it.

I can understand people being reluctant though, most of the time if I have the choice between ticking 4 books off my 'to read' list or just 1 in the same time period, I'll take the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Infinite Jest

I've given my copy to a couple of people and neither of them managed to get past page 100.

Philistines!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 catherinej

I have told so many people to read War and Peace or Crime and Punishment - 2 of my favorite books. Unfortunately they see the size of the book and run away!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Infinite Jest

I've given my copy to a couple of people and neither of them managed to get past page 100.

Philistines!

Well it is a daunting book after all but an excellent read! I've taken the easier route of showing one friend This is Water and then lending him The Broom of the System. You can lead a horse to water and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Infinite Jest

Philistines!

I'm on page 790 or somethin at the moment. By god it's taken me a while but I'm loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Infinite Jest

Philistines!

Just added this to my reading list, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

shancoduff wrote: »
    Well it is a daunting book after all but an excellent read! I've taken the easier route of showing one friend This is Water and then lending him The Broom of the System. You can lead a horse to water and all that..
    judgefudge wrote: »
    I'm on page 790 or somethin at the moment. By god it's taken me a while but I'm loving it!

After page 70 or 80 and you've got a grasp of what's going on it's actually a very readable novel. It's zips along at a fair clip story-wise.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Just added this to my reading list, thanks

Enjoy, it's a great book. Definitely in my top-3 of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

Catch 22

It's a fantastic book, but it took even me about four years to finally buckle down and read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I've tried getting a few people into Ellen Hopkins but once they see if they first page and how different her writing it is I think it puts them off. Sigh, such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

catherinej wrote: »
    I have told so many people to read War and Peace or Crime and Punishment - 2 of my favorite books. Unfortunately they see the size of the book and run away!

Crime and Punishment isn't that big!

Anyway my own contribution to this is 'The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman'. I loved it but just know that most people wouldn't bother to read it

Advertisement