Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invigilating for the referendum

Options
  • 04-04-2012 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Heya, I was just wondering if any body knew how to apply to be an invigilator for the upcoming referendum on the fiscal compact? There's nothing about it on the Cork City Council website. Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

BigCheese wrote: »
    Heya, I was just wondering if any body knew how to apply to be an invigilator for the upcoming referendum on the fiscal compact? There's nothing about it on the Cork City Council website. Cheers! :)

Here you go.

http://corkcityreturningofficer.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are you a civil servant with uncertified sick days or holidays to spare/a garda's spouse/retired garda/an ex councillor etc. etc.
    If not, I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Are you a civil servant with uncertified sick days or holidays to spare/a garda's spouse/retired garda/an ex councillor etc. etc.

That's the way of things alright, great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That's absolute drivel the beer revolu.

Mmm, very sound argument you have there. Care to explain why?

It is a fact that there have been many cases of fully employed civil servants taking time off to do election duties.

At the presidential election count, I asked one official how he got the gig: "my mother's been doing it for years" was the reply. Nice guy but I don't see why middle class students are getting it when we have massive unemployment at the moment.

Although, I really think that it should be unpaid civic duty like jury duty. They do that in Belgium.

Being unemployed should be a requirement to get these gigs but it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mmm, very sound argument you have there. Care to explain why?

It is a fact that there have been many cases of fully employed civil servants taking time off to do election duties.

At the presidential election count, I asked one official how he got the gig: "my mother's been doing it for years" was the reply. Nice guy but I don't see why middle class students are getting it when we have massive unemployment at the moment.

Although, I really think that it should be unpaid civic duty like jury duty. They do that in Belgium.

Anecdotal evidence isn't a sound argument either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

evilivor wrote: »

my anecdotal evidence turned out to be right before!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Why should it be, an unemployed person can apply too. What's wrong with an equal opportunities employer?

I did it for the Presidential Election, and I have no connections whatsoever with the Civil Service. I just applied. Simple as that.

evilivor wrote: »

Some of my evidence is first hand experience, granted some of it is anecdotal as broadcast on national radio.
    And at least I put forward an argument rather than just shout someone down by accusing them of spouting drivel without making any argument of their own.
    Cian92 wrote: »
    Why should it be, an unemployed person can apply too. What's wrong with an equal opportunities employer?

I did it for the Presidential Election, and I have no connections whatsoever with the Civil Service. I just applied. Simple as that.

If the state has to pay people for very short term work, it makes economic sense to take people off unemployment benefit for that period and pay them rather than pay people who already have jobs and continue to pay the same number of people on the dole.

I'm glad to hear that you got the gig without any connections but I believe it's not always the case.

Anyway, I think it should be mandatory unpaid work - call it civic duty.
    How people are chosen would have to be carefully worked out, though.

OP I wish you luck in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Some of my evidence is first hand experience, granted some of it is anecdotal as broadcast on national radio.
    And at least I put forward an argument rather than just shout someone down by accusing them of spouting drivel without making any argument of their own.

You didn't make an argument yourself tbr, you just spouted a load of old bollix and tried to dissuade someone from going for a job. What you offered in that post was complete non-think, the kind of poisonous ****e that idiots ring into Prendeville on a daily basis with.... I was told about the Nigerians leaving prams behind on buses because it was too much trouble and they'd be just given a new one anyway Neil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement