Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Hostel in Galway City?

Options
  • 04-04-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

Trying to find a no frills hostel in Galway city this weekend. A dorm room will do grand.

A friend of mine told me about this place:
    http://nimmoshostel.com/page1/booking.html

But their website looks like it hasn't been updated in a while and noone is answering the phone number they've provided.

Can someone tell me if this place is even still open, and where else would be similarly cheap?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Phier wrote: »
    Hi all,

Trying to find a no frills hostel in Galway city this weekend. A dorm room will do grand.

A friend of mine told me about this place:
    http://nimmoshostel.com/page1/booking.html

But their website looks like it hasn't been updated in a while and noone is answering the phone number they've provided.

Can someone tell me if this place is even still open, and where else would be similarly cheap?

Cheers.
    Try Sleepzone, Snoozles or Salmon Weir Hostel all are in the city centre and get good recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

1) hostelworld.com
    2) search for Galway
    3) sort by price

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

1) hostelworld.com
    2) search for Galway
    3) sort by price

/thread

Quite often there are cheaper places that you don't find on the likes of hostelworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Claddagh Hostel down the docks is probably cheap.
    Woodquay Hostel probably also cheap.

biko wrote: »
    Claddagh Hostel down the docks is probably cheap.
    Woodquay Hostel probably also cheap.
    Where is Claddagh Hostel? Is that not Celtic Hostel down that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is same place I think, I don't know the current name.

5084-1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

Can't find any contact details for them.
    Not a good sign.

Noone's noticed that Nimmo's place then?

biko wrote: »
    Is same place I think, I don't know the current name.

5084-1.JPG
    Yep thats the 1, Celtic Hostel nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

hi, i am looking for same. But pref quite as its not for holiday purposes. I take it u always share a room with someone. twin might be the best way to go. I need somewhere every 2 weeks in galway near nuig for a course i am doing. Are all the hostels located in or around the city only? makes sense i suppose!

rustopher wrote: »
    hi, i am looking for same. But pref quite as its not for holiday purposes. I take it u always share a room with someone. twin might be the best way to go. I need somewhere every 2 weeks in galway near nuig for a course i am doing. Are all the hostels located in or around the city only? makes sense i suppose!
    Yes, you could try and negotiate a rate with one as you would be a guaranteed booking each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

very true... especially during the winter months! just need to find the right one!! i could be guarenteed a twin room also, ok i will start the search...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

rustopher wrote: »
    very true... especially during the winter months! just need to find the right one!! i could be guarenteed a twin room also, ok i will start the search...

thanks

Hostels would be v cheap in the winter, but if it's only for a night every couple of weeks you might want to do a deal with the owner of a small b and b for the sake of quiet and an extra few bob. One near where you are doing the course? You could also try air b and b

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Hostels would be v cheap in the winter, but if it's only for a night every couple of weeks you might want to do a deal with the owner of a small b and b for the sake of quiet and an extra few bob. One near where you are doing the course? You could also try air b and b

Some of the hostels do a weekly rate in winter: depending on how many nights you're staying, it's sometimes cheaper to do the weekly rate and check out early than book by the night.

Generally cheaper to book online than in person (like airlines) - www.hostelworld.com has good reviews, IMHO.

Hostels have one big advantage over BnB's: access to a kitchen and communal / lounge space in the evening.

Corrib Village (NUIG student accom.) do hostel style accommodation during summer, not sure if they do any during term time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »

Some of the hostels do a weekly rate in winter: depending on how many nights you're staying, it's sometimes cheaper to do the weekly rate and check out early than book by the night.

Hostels have one big advantage over BnB's: access to a and communal / lounge space in

I'd agree with you about hostels saving money because of the kitchen use for more than a few days. Comforting to be able to cook your own dinner and unwind on a couch.
    I thought the OP only wanted a night every couple of weeks though, in which case I'd go for the b and b or an air b and b for the comfort and quiet that can be a gamble in the hostels.

Advertisement