Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A second tractor for a dry stock farmer??

• 04-04-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Contemplating seriously about do i need a second tractor. I have been in the process of looking and buying a second hand tractor (around 110HP) for the past two months, but is it really worth spending 20K for one when it could possible be sitting in shed till summer every year? I know its would be handy, for some things, but could you justify one or have you one? Only farmers please, no contractors for obvious reasons that they can justify then, I think they can anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

is the accountant telling you to buy a tractor or do you need it.

We have JCB 410, and two tractors at home, one is barely used. If we had loader on main tractor we would sell loader and only need one. I just cant talk dad around to doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

dont be always blaming the accountant.

Firstly why did you decide you needed 110hp and spend €20k?

Do you need 4 or 6 cylinder? what uses will you have for it? and i presume you want 4wd? with or without loader?

from local lads, lots have a bigger tractor for pulling slurry tanker, to put a tractor on a dump trailer or silage trailer when needed around there place, to pull a plough or heavy cultivation equipment. Maybe a bailer

So it comes down to your needs, maybe buy an older deutz or same and go for 6cylinder and 130hp. extra grunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A second tractor is always handy to have. But it needn't be anything fancy. It really just needs to be able to start!

A battery can go flat or a tyre puncture on the main tractor and if you don't have a spare as a temporary stop gap, you could be in a pickle :rolleyes:

An MF 135/165 (or other maker of your choice) around the same vintage is ample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

why do you need another tractor?
    what is the farm setup and system?

dont forget the added ownership costs like insurance, diseal, depreciation more fuel etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

BalingMad wrote: »
    but is it really worth spending 20K for one when it could possible be sitting in shed till summer every year? I know its would be handy, for some things

Based on the above? No, don't but it or at the very least don't spend that much money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Do you also need a second Wife (Husband )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

like the other lads say why do you need to spend 20K? i know you get more tractor for that money but why spend that much? i'm sur eyou can find a better use for 20k.

on the other hand it depends on what you have at present and what you would need the tractor for? if it'll just be used for spreading fretizler (assuming you'll use the main main one with its loader for lifting the bags) and possibly having a diet feeder or slurry tank on it then go for a good oldish 4wd, saw a few JD 3050's for about 8K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 New_to_this

BalingMad wrote: »
    Contemplating seriously about do i need a second tractor. I have been in the process of looking and buying a second hand tractor (around 110HP) for the past two months, but is it really worth spending 20K for one when it could possible be sitting in shed till summer every year? I know its would be handy, for some things, but could you justify one or have you one? Only farmers please, no contractors for obvious reasons that they can justify then, I think they can anyway

A massy Fergerson 290 . the perfect 2nd tractor . very reliable and will never let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padowado

We have two tractors and no need for one we have
    135 but it would not bring in heavy bales of silage
    and we bought 85 hp tractor.......we have 135 for
    37 years could not sell it (sentemental value
    p.s. cattle are dear now but that mite change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

If you follow the various tractor discussions on here, you see no end of dry stock / suckler farmers, who let's face it struggle to make a decent return in an average year.
    At the same time you hear stuff, like I have to have a second tractor, caus it's a pain to be swapping machines on and off theone tractor all the time:rolleyes:
    You hear stuff like "a tractor without a front loader is pretty much useless":rolleyes:
    I'd sooner spend a few bob on a good commercial cow or heifer than on a second tractor, to spare me from having to put the spreader on and off during the summer:p Far better return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

in fairness we've a db996 here as well from new. would never sell it. its only worth 2-3k but it runs on diseal fumes and near permently has a transport box on it. extremely handy around the place. the ol fella is used to it too and doesn't like the 85hp tractor. too modern for him;)

for the OP... would a change in tractor be a better solution?

Advertisement