Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio in the lab

Options
  • 04-04-2012 3:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So where does everyone stand on this?

Personally it drives me bananas when it's popmusic, but I dont mind classical stuff (pretendy posh or what). Talk radio can be ok, depending on the station, but terribly distracting if you need to concentrate. So far, of the labs I've been in, only one had a particular policy on radio (absolutely no radio) and the rest have been governed largely by consensus (which swings from radio to no radio).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Tree wrote: »
    So where does everyone stand on this?

Personally it drives me bananas when it's popmusic, but I dont mind classical stuff (pretendy posh or what). Talk radio can be ok, depending on the station, but terribly distracting if you need to concentrate. So far, of the labs I've been in, only one had a particular policy on radio (absolutely no radio) and the rest have been governed largely by consensus (which swings from radio to no radio).

Would agree mostly with you.

Personally, cannot tolerate repetitive popmusic channels. Am ok with classical and a bit of talk radio.

A few of the labs i have worked in had the zero radio approach you mentioned, and that worked, even if it did mildly upset a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Personally I have to have a radio on whether i'm in the lab or the office, helps me pass the day better.
    I dont like chat radio though as you tend to get too distracted by the conversations, so I pick something with mainly music. (Radio Nova at the moment, but will probably change again soon)

There is no policy on radios in labs from our employer just a ban on headphones, so no listening on your phone or mp3 player if you hate Gaspode's choice of radio!

One or two lab managers in the place have brought in bans over the years in different individual labs, but that's their personal choice not an official policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Guys guys, radio in the lab is so 1980's.....these days its full on street dance crew in between assays: :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pffft, time for between assays is for coffee, not fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Personally I'd be all for radio! Not really chat, would have had Radio Nova as my first choice as well. But the radio disappeared while I was on maternity leave. :( MP3 player now, just not too loud cos I usually have my back to the door! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

lol ... on my floor, one lab usually has a radio playing and its full of banter/chit-chat, while the one opposite is like a morgue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Music is constantly playing in my lab.

Drives me funking nuts.

Probably because everyone I work with has appalling taste in music and they insist on playing the same crap over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

djpbarry wrote: »
    Music is constantly playing in my lab.

Drives me funking nuts.

Probably because everyone I work with has appalling taste in music and they insist on playing the same crap over and over again.

All the classics then ?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭invaderjim

Working in a place at them moment with a no radio policy, took a while to get used to but think I prefer it now. In the last place I worked found the radio was grand while I was doing lab work but when I had to write anything up it was a nightmare. It was more the same ads being played over and over again than the bad music. One student sang along with every jingle in an ad break, drove me crackers.

Advertisement